Bosch Tuning dongles arrived today - 50kph cut off..

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi guys,

Just a quick one to let you know our batch of tuning dongles arrived today.
They are software based and wire into the speed sensor using 2 wires (wire clips included). Real easy to fit, most of the 'engineers' on here will love to fiddle!

Once fitted the cut off speed is changed from 15mph to 50kph. The dongle can be easily un-plugged to revert the bike back to normal.

artikel50a285848a052_1.jpg

There are only a limited number available, so let me know if you want on fast!
They are £135 each (Including 1st Class Postage) or £150 fitted in-store for my previous customers.

Please note there are separate versions for 26" wheels and 28/29" wheels.

So let me know which you will need, both provided with fitting instructions.
I know a few of you have these fitted already so you may be able to offer a review for some of the guys thinking about doing it.

I haven't added them to my website nor have I advertised them on ebay etc. Purely because I don't have a huge amount so I would prefer sensible people on here to snap them up.

There are 2 downsides to fitting these -
1) The HID will read the wrong mph, you can easily fit an after market computer/use gps phone to see exact mph. Or after 20mph you can roughly double the speed shown on the HID.

2) The range can be affected due to using extra power. However speaking with the German's they say before fitting the dongle they were using 'Turbo' or 'Sport' mode. Now after fitting they use 'Eco' due to the extra cut off speed and this has balanced the range out.

(I will be testing out points like the range etc over the coming weeks and will publish my results)

Obviously by going over the 15mph cut off these dongles are FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY!

Any Questions please just ask.

Regards
Martin

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok maybe I am misunderstanding this but is it just the blue wire with the two plugs ?

£135 :eek::eek:

Ps Hmm ok maybe that little grey thing plugged into the chocolate block ?

Jerry

Last edited:

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Martin ,

If ever a 20" wheeled version is released I would like one :p

Alan

edited - there is one SX220 from procycling Golla !!

still easier to source from you if possible?

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a dongle for every application :p

Jerry

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
2) The range can be affected due to using extra power. However speaking with the German's they say before fitting the dongle they were using 'Turbo' or 'Sport' mode. Now after fitting they use 'Eco' due to the extra cut off speed and this has balanced the range out.

Regards
Martin
That doesn't sound correct, surely for the same motor to get the same bike and rider up to 50kmh it needs the same power from the battery no matter what mode it's set to.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Ok maybe I am misunderstanding this but is it just the blue wire with the two plugs ?

Jerry
no cheaper on german ebay

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Like I say its software based. I'm sure every handy man looking at it would think in their head - 'I could splice 2 wires myself!' :)

What your paying for is the software located in that little headphone jack..

Martin

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin ,

If ever a 20" wheeled version is released I would like one :p

Alan

still easier to source from you if possible?
Hi Alan,

Yes of course, I can source one for you on my next order.
Only reason I haven't stocked in on any is the fact there's not many 20" Bosch bikes around.

Please PM me and I will take some details from you.

Regards

Martin

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hi Martin

Thanks very much for the kind offer I have sent you e-mail regarding this , even though I am not an existing customer would it be possible for you to fit this?

Also i arrive back into the UK. 12th April would there be any realistic chance of getting one by that date or am i just unrealistic

Regards Alan

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin

Thanks very much for the kind offer I have sent you e-mail regarding this , even though I am not an existing customer would it be possible for you to fit this?

Also i arrive back into the UK. 12th April would there be any realistic chance of getting one by that date or am i just unrealistic

Regards Alan
Hi Alan,

Just got your email. Seeing as I don't offer a 20" bike it would be harsh of me to not offer fitting ;)
As for the 12th April, may be a little optimistic, but I will see what I can do for you.

Could you message me again with a phone number I can contact you on?

Regards
Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That doesn't sound correct, surely for the same motor to get the same bike and rider up to 50kmh it needs the same power from the battery no matter what mode it's set to.
I think the answer may be that in Eco mode, which is normally about half the maximum power in the "standard" setting, so around 250 watts actual, there's not enough power to get to 50 kph/ 31 mph. The rider is then forced to work much harder than they normally would if in high power mode.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hi Alan,

Just got your email. Seeing as I don't offer a 20" bike it would be harsh of me to not offer fitting ;)
As for the 12th April, may be a little optimistic, but I will see what I can do for you.

Could you message me again with a phone number I can contact you on?

Regards
Martin
Hi Martin thats a very generous offer ...... many thanks .

I have replied by e-mail re telephone number

happy :p

Best wishes

Alan

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi

Can you explain what they do a bit more? Is it as simple as making the bike go faster? How come??? Won't the gears / motor / things be able to cope? Is any warranty void on these and where are they made? is it official Bosch stuff?

will the battery or motor burn up?? Sorry for asking questions but loving the idea even if hurumph not legal 'as if' I take it??

Would it fit a KTM Macina dual HS 2013?

how does it fit and where etc questions etc....?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi guys,

Once fitted the cut off speed is changed from 15mph to 50kph. The dongle can be easily un-plugged to revert the bike back to normal.

Regards
Martin
Does this mean the speedo computer thing will revert back to normal?? Or be reset?.

Oh....And does this mean my KTM is really an S pedelec in every way except for software alone? No difference in motor or battery?

Thank you!

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Can you explain what they do a bit more?
It just frigs the input into the controller so it thinks the bike is going slower than it actually is, so the controller just keeps adding power above the normal cut off limit. You can do the same with the Mecury Speedict. Battery should be fine, 50km/h isn't that fast and it doesn't up the amps drawn, just the cut off, but it will draw max amps for longer (I should imagine).

Oh....And does this mean my KTM is really an S pedelec in every way except for software alone? No difference in motor or battery?
Yes. S class pedelecs normally have a rear registration plate mount as well.

Last edited:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi

Can you explain what they do a bit more? Is it as simple as making the bike go faster? How come??? Won't the gears / motor / things be able to cope? Is any warranty void on these and where are they made? is it official Bosch stuff?

will the battery or motor burn up?? Sorry for asking questions but loving the idea even if hurumph not legal 'as if' I take it??

Would it fit a KTM Macina dual HS 2013?

how does it fit and where etc questions etc....?
Hello,

Ok so to put your questions into points..

1) Explain a bit more - The motors cut off speed is restricted to 15mph to sell in the UK on public roads. The software within this device allows the cut off speed to be 'tricked' into thinking the bike is still going 15mph where in actual fact you can go about double this. The motor etc can cope, there are guys using this over in Germany that have had no trouble over time.

2) It is not made by bosch and officially it should void your warranty, that said if you were going to take the bike back for warranty, you would take it off before it goes in ;)

3) Yes it would fit a KTM Macina 2013.

4) It splices into the two wires from the speed sensor, fairly easy to fit for any one creative :) instructions provided with the sale.

Hope this helps

Regards

Martin

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Does this mean the speedo computer thing will revert back to normal?? Or be reset?.

Thank you!
Wissy,

Yes it reverts back to normal when un-plugged.

No your motor is not an S type I'm afraid, they feature a different motor all together :)

Regards
Martin