Bosch vs Impulse

greyhound_dog_1

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2009
I have ridden a Cytronex bike for over a year, but have started to look at other systems again, mainly just to see what is out there now.

I have just tried a Kalkhoff Agattu Impulse C8 HS (2013 software) at Oxford transport shop and 2 months ago rode the Bosch on a Moustache with NuVinci hub at Velospeed, Berks. Customer service from both places was excellent.

First I will get bare bikes out of the way. Moustache, I found a very harsh ride, too low down position for me, less comfortable, a bit crashy in fact. NuVini hub was interesting, however I still found myself picking a 'fixed gear' and making a discrete shift once I was outside of my cadence range. Seems a CVT is really best paired with an auto-shifter (which they do make, NuVinci Harmony).

Agattu, upright riding position felt nice, very comfortable ride, nice riding position (in my opinion), nice saddle, nice tyres, felt well put together. Standard Nexus on the Agattu is really not for me though...lets the whole bike down...only previously experienced with Nexus-premium/red line-8 and Alfine-8 which change under light load similar to derailleur, whereas Nexus (std) I had to literally stop pedalling for a whole second before it would change! Alfine comes with premium model...not keen on the gold paint job though of premium spec. The black-white two-tone matt paint on the standard Agattu is really nice. Hydraulic rim brakes on this bike were really nice as well, more 'feel' than the Hydraulic discs on the Mouschache...both much better than cable discs for sure.

Anyway, comparing both power systems, for me I felt marginally more 'at home' with the Impulse system, it pulled harder from stationary than the Bosch, felt more direct, less...'wooly'? Hill climbing was great with both systems. Impulse was certainly a bit less noisy than Bosch (but still much more noisy than ye olde Panasonic 26V chain drive).

Regarding pull from standing start, Bosch seemed to want to ramp up the power slowly, even in max power setting (and there are too many settings), whereas Impulse gave flat torque multiplier from stationary which felt much better. I found middle/sport on Impulse was required in traffic for control, whereas I liked max/power for responsiveness on the rest of the ride (max power was too sensitive for slow traffic, but nice to pull away fast the rest of the time). I suspect straight multiplication would deliver the best experience, I believe Bosch system tries to be too 'clever'. Bosch - just let your riders do wheelies and accidentally plough into the car in front if they request it. None of this 'computer says no' stuff.

One comment on the Impulse, there is no minimum cadence requirement, but there seems to be a minimum torque exterted before the motor cuts in. I found myself wishing it responded to smaller torque input, as it tended to cut in and out often when I was at cruising speed. Hopefully this can be improved on. This is easy to live with though, it is not dissimilar to having a cadence sensor on my Cytronex, again something I wish was more sensitive but you get used to it.

Road speed cutoff is implemented in both systems, even on max power I found the Impulse system didn't cut off too harshly, and while I didn't have a speedometer on the Agattu (why not on a £2k bike??), it felt like it pulled to around 16-17 mph quite easily. The Bosch road speed cutoff felt like a much harder limit was being enforced.

As for cadence, my main gripe with the old Panasonic 26V system was the phasing down of torque multiplier at 'normal' cadences (> 60 rpm). It was impossible to climb hills faster than unassisted, because when you brought your legs into 'peak power' cadence, the motor turned off!! Both the Bosch and Impulse systems do not have such a low cadence cutoff, and provide useful assistance at cadences up to 80 rpm. My usual cadence range is 60rpm (absolute min cruising with light torque) to 80 rpm (usual shift-up point), and I found the motor assistance starting to 'flatten off' around my usual up-shift cadence so felt okay - though I would still prefer a bit more rpm. This may be a motor power limit than a 'software cutoff'. More power!!

So the only thing neither system allows you to do is to sprint. If I want to get peak acceleration and hold low gears, I usually spin to 100 rpm, but the motor 'gives up' around 80 rpm. Certainly for hill climbing, you don't need to spin so fast since pulls so strongly, but if you fancy a 'one gear' sprint 0-15mph, you can't do it with these systems. I would liken them to driving a turbo-diesel when you are used to a petrol car, they require completely different gear changing patterns. In my petrol car I like to go 0-60 in 2nd gear, because it's fun, and I guess that is why I like the hub motor on my cytronex...I can sprint to 15 mph in a low gear without the motor cutting out.

Ideally though, since they are sharing the same gearbox, the motor would have a torque curve similar to my legs. Ideally I would like to see such a bike with 3x multiplication up to cadence of 100 rpm. Then it would feel perfect. Perhaps if they made a 'sport' version of the Impulse with torque curve to 100 rpm, with high power motor, kept the standard speed limit, and put it in the standard Agattu (without the gold paint) I would buy it.

So the Impulse is top of my crank drive list, but it's not perfect. I like the power delivery and control, but dislike the lack of cadence rpm and the noise.

Since I like my Cytronex hub motor for flat torque, and high cadence support, but wish I had more torque (as well as control of torque and speed) I hope to try one of these BH E-motion samsung NEO rear hub motor bike at some point, since they have even more power plus a torque sensor on the rear axle. That'd be interesting.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I kind of know what you mean about the one-gear sprint being tricky on an Impulse. I have an LCD on my version with integral speedo and having watched it closely, I tend to find I can sprint to 15mph in single gear on the flat when the bike's properly tuned. As long as I pull away in 6th (of 11) gear.

The bike responds far better to smoother upshifts with a momentary pedal pause on the upshift (which you have to get used to and isn't at all like high cadence acceleration I use on an unpowered cassette and derailleur bike). It's very fast to 15mph though even through the shifts. Most times I just don't feel I'm going at 15mph when the power seems to drop - and then I look at the speedo and realize why .... I've already hit the assist cutoff legal limit and it's ramping down already :rolleyes: The assist curve is town and touring rather than sport riding for sure.

But if you keep the speed limiter then I reckon it's only on serious hills you'd really benefit from faster acceleration and assist - and it would be welcome there. Most other times I found the acceleration is so effective if you set out in a slightly higher gear you've barely time to think about shifting again before you're at cutoff even with a lower cadence. It's really deceptive without looking at a speedo and seeing just how quickly and easily you get up there.

helecats

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi, thanks for the excellent comparison. I have been looking for new bike and find this information very useful. I want a quality mountain bike as light as possible with a good range 60 miles plus with lots of power, legal and will climb hills. I assumed the Bosch drive would be the best. After riding both the Bosch and the BH extreme I felt that my 8fun kit had as much if not more power but probably a lot less range. Admittedly I did not ride these very far or up hills so I may need a longer ride to evaluate them properly. I think one of the problems may be that my kit works off cadence only but on bikes with torque sensors you have to put a bit effort in, which I wasn't doing.

I wondered if you considered trying the new kalkhoff Xion hub drive fitted to Raleigh, Focus and kalkhoff bikes. I am asking as I'm interested in the focus Jariffa offroad it comes with a 15.5Ah battery, has regenerative braking and Focus are quality bikes.

FOCUS Bikes: Bikes 2013

Google Translate

There is no chance of me trying one as there are non available in the UK, I would need to just order one, but it would be interesting to hear some views on the Xion drive on other bikes. I haven't seen any reviews on this motor at all, I guess they are quite new.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
It’s good to read such a thoughtful and detailed review.

I’m somewhat surprised however about your feeling that the Moustache ride is harsh, with a position that is too low down. May I ask which model were you trying? The Lundi perhaps, a town bike designed with a ‘sit up and beg’ position? On my Samedi model, with the saddle adjusted to be at about the same height as the bars, it can’t be too low down; the bike's comfortable at least over the longest single distance I’ve ridden (18 miles).

Concerning your comment that the Bosch system has too many settings; were you on a 2012 bike? It has indeed been criticised for being too complex. This year however, Bosch has slashed the number of settings to just five: Off, Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo. It’s very simple to use, at least in my opinion.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Concerning your comment that the Bosch system has too many settings; were you on a 2012 bike? It has indeed been criticised for being too complex. This year however, Bosch has slashed the number of settings to just five: Off, Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo. It’s very simple to use, at least in my opinion.
Agreed, the 2013 is very simple to use. Also has a much nicer display.
Most users find them self suited to one setting, for example 'Tour' 90% off the time.
May just move up to 'Turbo' for the most steep inclines.

More info on the 2013 Bosch System -
Why choose a Bosch powered eBike? Well its the latest contender in the crank drive market.

Regards
Martin

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
A great review.
I have bought the agatu 8speed and I agree with you on the gears. I have to, not just stop peddling, sometimes I have to wait one second. I think what it is is the motor has to stop completely and this takes a part of a second to happen. When I ride the bike without power the changes are smooth and I can do it without stopping the pedals turning. As soon as I put the power on the gears are clunky and sometimes even get a bang or crunch unless I stop peddling. On the flat this is not an issue but on hills that ramp up the gradient over a distance it is frustrating, on steep hills you can come to a complete stop if you stop peddling. For a 2k+ rrp this is not good enough and should have come with better. I also find that, for me, the gearing is not high enough in the gear 8. I spin out at only a little over the motor cut off speed probs only 20mph if that. (getting a speedo soon will be able to tell then) I am going to upgrade the gears as soon as finances allow.
I also agree about the speedo/control centre. Many sub 1k ebikes come with really nice control centres Like the Woosh bikes for example the Kalkhoff one on the 11 speed model cost £300 (and looks ugly) if you want to upgrade, which is outrageous IMO. Which is why I am simply going to get a little bike computer.
Regarding the 11 speed I would not have ever bought that even had finances allowed just based only on the colour. You call it gold, I call it Brown! who wants a brown bike? Ewww
Having said all that my bike is really nice quality on all other fronts. The motor in particular is brilliant and has not failed to tow my big butt up the steepest hills I can find with ease.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Some interesting points coming up on this thread :cool:.

As soon as I put the power on the gears are clunky and sometimes even get a bang or crunch unless I stop peddling. On the flat this is not an issue but on hills that ramp up the gradient over a distance it is frustrating, on steep hills you can come to a complete stop if you stop peddling. For a 2k+ rrp this is not good enough and should have come with better.
That's really odd - sounds like something isn't quite right with the tuning of your bike. One thing you could try is to multishift to a slightly lower gear than you might otherwise choose earlier on the graduated ascent and see if that makes any difference. You have to be firm but gentle on the pedal force with powered hub gears. If you pedal too forcefully you'll trigger clunking. It needs to be ridden smooth like a saloon with Granny in the back and not a sports car :). You may not be doing that but thought I'd mention in any event - from my experiences anyway.

I also find that, for me, the gearing is not high enough in the gear 8. I spin out at only a little over the motor cut off speed probs only 20mph if that.
Fair point and if you like to ride the bike hard over assist limits for more performance speeds the C11 is a lot more suitable. It's mainly why I chose it over the C8. But if a more forgiving gearing setup is preferred, perhaps the NuVinci hubs are worth a look ? But for best range of gears outside the assist speed range, a 14sp Rohloff hub would likely be even better - if it's compatible.

the Kalkhoff one on the 11 speed model cost £300 (and looks ugly) if you want to upgrade, which is outrageous IMO. Which is why I am simply going to get a little bike computer.
I actually really like it - the display is very readable and you can instantly glean all the info you want whilst barely having to look down. If I'd been able to get one like that for my self build, especially with remaining range estimators and graphical illustration of power draw, I'd have bought it for sure in preference to Speedict, CA or any of the other console displays I've seen. It was the clinching feature that make me swallow VERY hard and shell out the extra £700 for C11 over C8. I pretty much decided that if I was spending money of that order I may as well get all the trimmings you'd expect with a premium price tag without having to modify anything. But it's a lot of money there's no denying !

Regarding the 11 speed I would not have ever bought that even had finances allowed just based only on the colour. You call it gold, I call it Brown! who wants a brown bike? Ewww
Kalkhoff call it Mondobrown. It's a matt brown colour ... and I love it ;). When I looked at it I was transported back to Berlin and could sentimentally picture it next to some railings in a quiet square. Has an old world charm to it and I think the bike is graceful and understated in that colourway. Basically fell in love with the looks.

It's definitely not flashy in any way, but the long wheelbase and height makes it quietly dominate any row of bikes in the stands. The local tweed cap and pipe bregade often come over and quiz me about it if I take it into town (despite my probably being a rather incongruous rider for the bike's looks !). I think the target market is likely mainly in that category, but it'll appeal to a few others too.

greyhound_dog_1

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2009
It’s good to read such a thoughtful and detailed review.

I’m somewhat surprised however about your feeling that the Moustache ride is harsh, with a position that is too low down. May I ask which model were you trying? ....
Otherway around...it was the Samedi 28 Nuvinci, and sorry when I said riding position was too low I meant handlebars were too low down, and a more upright riding position would have been preferred. That's just personal preference though.

Regarding gears, I really think the requirement for zero-load to get the standard Nexus to shift makes this gear system ill-suited to crank drives unless you are being really leisurely. Maybe alfine would be better, but surely the best hub gear for these bikes would be the Nuvini with harmony autoshifter (the infinitely variable cadence one, not the three cadence one).

I wonder if Kalkhoff plan on producing Impulse + Nuvini harmony? I can find lots of examples of bosch + nuvini harmony though, e.g. Stevens Bikes 2013 | Caprile Gent

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Yes, several models. Hoping to have the first here in the UK next week, hopefully in time for the Eden Project event. With pre-sold a load of them too. It's the proper automatic i360 not the manual shifting N360.

This one has a heart monitor so it maintains a constant heart rate through an interaction between the Impulse drive and NuVinci i360 Harmony transmission. Available in crossbar and step-thru styles.

Kalkhoff Ergo Impulse Cardio training electric bike

And we have two versions of the Sahel with the Impulse drive and NuVinci i360 Harmony transmission

Sahel i360 NuVinci Harmony Electric Bike

Sahel i360 NuVinci Harmony Step-thru Electric Bike

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Regarding gears, I really think the requirement for zero-load to get the standard Nexus to shift makes this gear system ill-suited to crank drives unless you are being really leisurely. Maybe alfine would be better.]
I'm used to this now on my bosch powered bike, I have no idea if the impluse is any better or worse in this respect?

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I'm used to this now on my bosch powered bike, I have no idea if the impluse is any better or worse in this respect?
It is worse. It is one of the things I dislike and cannot wait to be able to afford to change to another system of changing the gears. It seems ok (sometimes) when on the flat but not if you are going uphill. you have to stop pedalling for two seconds before the gear changes. Terrible.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ staggered. Just a thought, Spinalot, are your gears tuned ? Wondering if maybe .

Couple of thoughts :

You probably have it like this but that nut on the end of the gear cable which slots in the hub needs to face hex-outwards towards dropouts / oval inwards towards hub. It'll slot in the other way (far easier !) but the gears will not shift properly when you test them on the stand throughout the range. On the road could cause even more problems.

The outer gear cable 'plug' also needs seating tight in the end of that arm which comes off the hub facing towards the dropouts and no excess cable slack exiting the frame. If it got loose it may also mess up your shafting which in turn may well flow through to problems with the motor responding to the shift.

Otherwise perhaps it's a Nexus thing. It isn't an Impulse thing because I don't get this issue with my bike - and that still has the 2012 firmware.

Arnaud600

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2015
A bit late but I have an Agattu C8 (2012) with alfine 8 speed and I can confirm that I do not have any trouble with the hills like Spinalot said. I have a 10-12% hill side I travel everyday and I broke the nexus 8 speed back then! I came back to this subject in order to help a friend choose between Bosh or Impulse. I think it is a matter of budget - Bosch seems to be always more expensive on the bikes it takes and I don't yet see the added value though..

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The outer gear cable 'plug' also needs seating tight in the end of that arm which comes off the hub facing towards the dropouts and no excess cable slack exiting the frame. If it got loose it may also mess up your shafting which in turn may well flow through to problems with the motor responding to the shift.
I must have missed this thread previously but believe me when I say I'm taking careful note of Alex's cautionary remark about the cable getting loose......really wouldn't want to mess that up!

Tom