Bosh Dongle

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Gave up the idea of making some sort of dongle.

Ordered one from the interweb.

Works well but only cuts in a 19mph. No use at all into a head wind as I cannot reach 19 mph.

Any ideas? Have emailed makers and await response.

My only doubt is the polarity of the connection, Both wires were red, one with a black line.

No instructions supplied so took a guess. Black line to the black wire on the bike sensor.
Are these things passive and as such non polarity conscious?

All web instructions, including the makers show different wire colours. Any advice or experience?

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi,

the link below is to a thread from a few weeks ago, in which I burbled about how I'd fitted a dongle - might be helpful.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13711-s-class-bikes-2.html

Also attached are 2 docs that I cobbled together from manufacturer's instructions when I was fitting it - as I don't read German, I had to bodge a translation of sorts from Google. If you use the English words with the German pics and text, it's workable. The only problem I've had is with it cutting out when on 21t rear sprocket (I have a 42t front ring). The same thing will happen with a 38t front and 19t rear - it's some odd effect caused by an exact 2:1 ratio.

Answer - either don't use that gear, or (better, if possible), get a new cassette with a set of cogs that don't produce that effect. I want one with 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32, 36 but haven't been able to source it yet.

Good luck!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Hi,

the link below is to a thread from a few weeks ago, in which I burbled about how I'd fitted a dongle - might be helpful.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13711-s-class-bikes-2.html

Also attached are 2 docs that I cobbled together from manufacturer's instructions when I was fitting it - as I don't read German, I had to bodge a translation of sorts from Google. If you use the English words with the German pics and text, it's workable. The only problem I've had is with it cutting out when on 21t rear sprocket (I have a 42t front ring). The same thing will happen with a 38t front and 19t rear - it's some odd effect caused by an exact 2:1 ratio.

Answer - either don't use that gear, or (better, if possible), get a new cassette with a set of cogs that don't produce that effect. I want one with 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32, 36 but haven't been able to source it yet.

Good luck!
Hugh, many thanks.

Only two wires to deal with. Normally brown and white. Instructions to connect these is straight forward.

Problem, is my two dongle wires are red. One red with a black line. I've not seen any instructions for red wire connection. I guessed that the black line went to the black sensor wire.

The dongle works but only from 19mph, ie: you pedal up to 19mph and the speed drops to half this value and the motor kicks in and the bike speeds off until you slow to 19 mph and then the motor stops.

Almost like the dongle is for a smaller wheel. Smaller wheel giving a higher pulse frequency, the dongle would cut in sooner.

I'll see what the manufacturer has to say tomorrow.

For the price of these things, I would have expected to get an instruction page.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Sounds weird. Mine works from scratch up to 25mph or so at least. Maybe you're right about the wheel size business - they obviously can be slightly glitchy anyway, given the 2:1 ratio business.

Is yours one of these? Bosch

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sounds weird. Mine works from scratch up to 25mph or so at least. Maybe you're right about the wheel size business - they obviously can be slightly glitchy anyway, given the 2:1 ratio business.

I see there's a smaller chainring on the site which avoids a 1:1 ratio and an error code:

Google Translate

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hello SRS,

Is your dongle the right one for your wheel size?
Just for future reference, I will have these in stock in every wheel size as of late this week..
They will cost £140 with free next day postage. Also provided with proper printed instructions..

Seeing as you have already purchased one and seeing as I am so nice. If you would like me to email over the instructions please just ask. :)

Regards
Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I see there's a smaller chainring on the site which avoids a 1:1 ratio and an error code:

Trouble is, I put the 42t ring on in order to raise the gearing a bit. That's why I want to change the cassette, but I've not been able to find one with the right ratios yet.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer

Trouble is, I put the 42t ring on in order to raise the gearing a bit. That's why I want to change the cassette, but I've not been able to find one with the right ratios yet.
Hugh,

You are right in not being able to source a cassette with these sprockets as no one makes one that covers these sizes. With a simple bit of engineering you could over come this?

Why not engineer your own cassette from a couple of different ones...
On the cassette, say a 9 speed, the smallest 3 are loose and the last 7 are held together with steel pins, you can drive these out, split the sprockets, place in your preferable tooth sprockets and drive the pins back through. This should avoid the 1:1 error.

Regards
Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Martin,

do you know if it's possible to obtain single sprockets of various sizes, or would I need to find 2 cassettes that, between them, had the required sprockets and then engage in butchery!

If said butchery is needed, what tools would I need?

Cheers, Hugh

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin,

do you know if it's possible to obtain single sprockets of various sizes, or would I need to find 2 cassettes that, between them, had the required sprockets and then engage in butchery!

If said butchery is needed, what tools would I need?

Cheers, Hugh
Hugh -

To my knowledge individual sprockets are not available for sale, it would be the case of buying 2/3 cassettes. Probably a mixture of road and mountain bike cassettes. They would of course have to be the same manufacturer for the pins to fit etc.

Let me do a little hunting around in the shop and I will see what I can come up with.

As for tools, to remove the cassette you would need a cassette lockring tool and a chain whip to remove the cassette. Then to remove and replace the pins holding it all together a good old hammer and punch does the trick!

Give me an hour and I'll see what I can come up with for you regarding the cassette..

Regards
Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Martin,

that'd be great. I'm actually coming down your way tomorrow to visit my aged father in a home in Hindhead, so might be able to drop in then. I'm also down again on Saturday.

Cheers, Hugh

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin,

that'd be great. I'm actually coming down your way tomorrow to visit my aged father in a home in Hindhead, so might be able to drop in then. I'm also down again on Saturday.

Cheers, Hugh
Hugh -

Right OK I have cracked it!
Looking at your previous post Im presuming its 10 speed and last years FS SE ran a HG62 Cassette (aka in less nerdy terms 'Shimano SLX')
Unfortunately the teeth you are after are not possible within the SLX range.

However I have found a combination of 2 cassettes from M771 that are possible (M771 = Shimano XT)
Now XT cassettes don't come cheap but if it means sorting your gearing problem I think its worth it!

Also might point out that the rest of the FS SE components are Shimano XT - so it sort of makes sense to revive the system with what should be there already..

The XT cassettes are £70 each, but I'm sure as I am nice I could do you a deal for buying 2,
also seeing as once finished 1 will be surplus to requirements..

As for your visit tomorrow, I will be in my Alton shop. Your welcome to visit, we can talk about the cassettes and get some sorted for you. I might add I will be on my own tomorrow so I may have to dip in and out of customers but I'm sure a coffee will keep you busy whilst I do this :)

Regards
Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Martin,

thanks very much for all this. I'll try and get in tomorrow, probably mid-late morning if that's OK, and we can get sorted, drink coffee and haggle ;)

Cheers, Hugh

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin,

thanks very much for all this. I'll try and get in tomorrow, probably mid-late morning if that's OK, and we can get sorted, drink coffee and haggle ;)

Cheers, Hugh
Thats Great Hugh..
See you tomorrow..
Even better news; I think I have worked out a cheaper option for you than the 2 XT Sprockets!
Could be in the region of 55 quid :)

Speak tomorrow.

Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Sounds a good region Martin ;)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast

Hugh, ordered from here. http:///www.maintronic.de/en/products/sx2-tuning-dongle.html I suspect it is the same dongle as yours.

I had an email reply back from the suppliers. Apparently moving the magnet towards the outside of the rim will change the speed at which it cuts in. Odd but it works.

I did this prior to my commute this morning. Moved the magnet as far as possible before the sensor would not pick it up. Now cuts in at 15 mph.

What an absolute transformation. The bikes a dream. No more dropping off of the power whilst accelerating
round my local roundabout. Much safer.

The bike is now as it should have been from new. Not sure if the thing will blow up but hope not.

As far as any oddities with gearing I have a alfine 11 hub, not even looked at the ratios but every gear appears works with the dongle without issue.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Hello SRS,

Is your dongle the right one for your wheel size?
Just for future reference, I will have these in stock in every wheel size as of late this week..
They will cost £140 with free next day postage. Also provided with proper printed instructions..

Seeing as you have already purchased one and seeing as I am so nice. If you would like me to email over the instructions please just ask. :)

Regards
Martin

Martin, a kind offer thanks but the issue does seem to be sorted.