Bottom Bracket - help

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Hi All,

Not an e-bike specific question but I hope you can help... I have a Dahon 7 Speed with a 3 piece bottom bracket hub. This is becoming loose, I tighten it and then after a ride it is loose again (shaft moving up/down).

So, either the bearing/cage are faulty and/or I'm not tightening the lock nut tight enough? just how tight does the lock nut have to be please?

Thanks,
Brian

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Hi All,

Not an e-bike specific question but I hope you can help... I have a Dahon 7 Speed with a 3 piece bottom bracket hub. This is becoming loose, I tighten it and then after a ride it is loose again (shaft moving up/down).

So, either the bearing/cage are faulty and/or I'm not tightening the lock nut tight enough? just how tight does the lock nut have to be please?

Thanks,
Brian
When you say "3 piece bottom bracket hub" do you mean an axle and 2 threaded cups (Ball races) that screw into the bottom bracket shell?
Getting the torque right on the lock nut is important but so is the torque on the fixed cup (right hand side). That has a no lock nut but is screwed into the bottom bracket shell as tight as you can. The motion of the axle when riding can unscrew it if it is not really tight.
The left hand cup, has the lock ring on it. It should only be done up tight enough to allow free revolving movement on the axle WITHOUT ANY END FLOAT OR SIDE TO SIDE PLAY.
The lock ring should be done up as tight a sensibly possible: since this tends to pull the adjustable cup out a little (a thou or two): trial and error is required.
Having the right spanners (wrenches) greatly facilitates this exercise since they need to be a fairly precise fit to get the right purchase. Perseverance in getting the free movement of the axle right is also useful.
When you have made the adjustment turn the axle a few revolutions and check again for end float and side-to-side movement.
If after another run you find slackness or movement in the axle, check the right hand cup first to make sure it has not worked loose.
You may have a broken ball bearing in the race(s) or a ball missing. This would contribute to the inability to keep the remaining balls in their place.
On the other hand, it may be that the races are worn. Even more "bad news" is that the threads in the B.B. Shell have become damaged or worn and will not keep the cups where they should be.
All is not lost: just buy a Bottom Bracket Cartridge with the right axle length. Make sure it has the right threads (some are left hand/right hand). I doubt if the threads are French or Italian, but that's no problem if they are - just get the right foreign Cartridge: they are all available in the UK (though I doubt that the perfidious English threads are freely available on the continent).

A phone call to Dahon (or AtoB) will tell you what you've got.
Good luck!
Peter
P.S. Check that the "faces" of the B.B. Shell (where the races are screwed in) are square to the B.B.Shell. If they are not, everytime you tighten the lock nut the adjustable cup will be pulled out enough to create slack in the axle.

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Bottom Bracket Help

Addendum to my last post:

If you do this job with the bike standing on its wheels much of the effort in tightening those nuts/races will be absorbed by the tyres (believe it or not). The bike really needs to be held rigid on a Bike Work Stand or upside down on its bars.
One discovers this by trying to undo those parts after they have had little or not attention for many years.

Peter

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Thank you

Peter,

Many thanks for your very thorough advice, I got home this evening and same again loose bearings. My father-in-law found an old "c" spanner that belonged to his father and that did the trick. I found I'd only nipped up the lock nut before (with a screwdriver and hammer, sorry). So tonight I used the "c" spanner and hammer much better. Thanks for the tip on the tyres taking most of the force. It's a long time since I've been a cyclist but I do enjoy the maintenance part, perhaps it's time to invest in some decent tools.

Many Thanks,
Brian

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I wish that was my problem, my son's bike needs a new set of bottem bracket cups/balls ~ but can I get the old ones off, can I ......

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Another Bottom Bracket

I wish that was my problem, my son's bike needs a new set of bottem bracket cups/balls ~ but can I get the old ones off, can I ......
Is it a conventional BB which has the cranks separate from the axle?
If you have been unable to shift the left hand cup, try the right hand one - it has flats for taking the correct size Super-Spanner. The cup has a Left Hand Thread (undoes by turning clockwise). If it is really stuck in perhaps a little WD40 and judiciously applied heat will help.
You could try a nail punch in the left hand cup (has it got holes in its face for location a peg spanner?) that one unscrews by turning anti-clockwise.
If you live near Mere in South Wiltshire I could help you out - I have a complete set of BB Spanners of Shimano ilk.
I suspect the BB has received scant attention over its lifetime (may be even when it was assembled in the BB Shell).
Peter