BRABUS Daimler Mercedes DESIGNER Smart eBike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This was their model for the S category Speed Pedelec Class in Germany and Switzerland. Illegal elsewhere in Europe at the time, though now legal in The Netherlands as well.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Thanks flecc, very interesting, I wonder if our laws will fall in line with the more developed eBike countries anytime soon?

Regards,

D

Deleted member 4366

jeez! You would thought that they would have learned from their mistakes. I guess we can look forward to buying those cheap when they sell them through the clearing houses like they did with the other one.

The shocks from the road were bad enough on the 15 mph one. At 20mph, you won't be able to hold on.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oldtom and IR772

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc, very interesting, I wonder if our laws will fall in line with the more developed eBike countries anytime soon?

Regards,

Less likely now due to Brexit, since this is an EU class not needing a driving licence which the DfT have been strongly opposed to. They did have it under consideration due to trade pressures but have already somewhat sabotaged it with their new driving licence categories.

They include a category Q licence for one class of 15.5 mph e-bikes, and a category AM licence for up to 28 mph (S class limit), this in addition to the 31 mph category P moped licence.

Reactions: Mister-E

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are these bikes single geared like the designer Gtech?
Yes and belt drive as supplied, see this link. Since it uses the BionX 500 watt motor which is cassette compatible, it may be possible to add a rear derailler mechanism by devising a frame mounting for the change mechanism, plus a chainwheel of course.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Obviously way out of your league and your jealous :)

There is someone and something for everyone, it would be boring if we were all the same, enjoy the ride and don't take things so seriously, your a long time dead!!!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Obviously way out of your league and your jealous :)

There is someone and something for everyone, it would be boring if we were all the same, enjoy the ride and don't take things so seriously, your a long time dead!!!
Nope, just a realist. If you're going to improve on an original design, at least make it look better. Failing that, give it some beans so that every Nissan Micra doesn't blow you away at the lights.

Epic fail on both accounts sorry :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ok I admit the Brabus does look sh!te :)
Some may disagree, but I think the one they really pulled off well is the Roadster. Especially in two-tone.

I very nearly bought one of these years ago, but the practicality struck it off my list:

smart-roadster-brabus-10.jpg

Reactions: flecc

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Looks like two and a half K of hype over substance to me but if you really crave Bionx power, why not?

Tom
Exclusivity and Class has no price :)

When people slag you off you know you have made it :)

Have a great day!