Brake cut-out > 1 wire

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Can anyone see a problem with joining the 2 brake cut-out wires ( by the handlebars) then only having a single wire to the controller.
I'm having a manic tidying up phase :)

D

Deleted member 4366

No problem. That's what I do. In fact my latest bike has two controllers, so it goes two into one into two.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
How do you split/join the wires. Do you solder or use connectors? I have never had much luck in soldering thin wires. Is there a good technique for it?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Don't keep the iron on the joint for too long, or you end up chasing the insulation up the wire :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Tin the wires before you try to join them. Don't be too quick to take the iron away. You must add heat after adding the solder. After the wires have been tinned, just bring them together and re-melt the solder with the iron.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Or you could buy these cables which will tidy up the wiring:

TIP - buy 5 for the same postage as 1 and sell the extra 4 - I will buy one of them:)

Aliexpress.com : Buy E bicycle cables( e bus cables) from Reliable DIY PART suppliers on E-bike displays, controllers, sensors manufacturer cooperative

My tip for joining wires is to use thin walled brass tubing, cut to the required length, slip one end of the tubing onto the wire and solder, that leaves the other acting like a socket for the other wire, finish off by sleeving with heat shrink - available from most hobby shops.

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Job done, soldered and heatshrink, looks nice and neat now. I do like the look of the 'Aliexpress' cable but i had the soldering iron to hand & I'm skint.
Has anyone shortened a Cycle Analysts cables?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Or you could buy these cables which will tidy up the wiring:

TIP - buy 5 for the same postage as 1 and sell the extra 4 - I will buy one of them:)

Aliexpress.com : Buy E bicycle cables( e bus cables) from Reliable DIY PART suppliers on E-bike displays, controllers, sensors manufacturer cooperative

My tip for joining wires is to use thin walled brass tubing, cut to the required length, slip one end of the tubing onto the wire and solder, that leaves the other acting like a socket for the other wire, finish off by sleeving with heat shrink - available from most hobby shops.
They really do extract the urine with the shipping cost and, as you say, the only way to make sense of that is a group buy or something similar. I'm used to seeing China-sourced components with cheap or free shipping when they come via ebay or DX, so I don't see why AliExpress can't do the same.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Aliexpress aren't a distributor - they are like ebay or amazon. The items for sale come from all different places so it's up to the individual companies what they charge for shipping.