Brake Power Cut Out ?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok you techies after work I fitted one brake cutout to my brompton as I had two spare brakes with cutout.

Here is a picture of my controller

And a link to my post when I recieved the stuff. I have mailed the supplier to see what they say.

Well connected it all up and when I closed the brake it does not work :(

This the wiring diagram on the site I purchased it from but I don't think it is the same controller.

http://desheng-intl.com/pdf/Controller wiring diagram.pdf

I had it all wired up including the my 8 pole plug, man its annoying.

I guess I could try just connecting the black and white wires and see if it works. That would identify that one of my connections is not right in the circuit I guess.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its funny we (I) always assume the worse i.e. the controller is not working or the wiring is at fault.

Typing the post made me think about shorting the black and white wires together to test it and guess what the motor cut out. Retried the brake and it didn't work :confused:

Ah I thought tried the spare brake and it worked. Then I had another look at the fitted brake. I like my brakes to kick in quick when I brake so just a small pull to brake fully.

Solved it :rolleyes:

My brake was not opening enough to close the connection. It was a mechanical problem NOT an electrical problem. Duh..... :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Solved it :rolleyes:

My brake was not opening enough to close the connection. It was a mechanical problem NOT an electrical problem. Duh..... :eek:
Typical :D

On my Bafang-powered e-Brompton, only the rear brake (left) is a special cut-off one. This allows me to prevent the PAS (Pedal Assist Sensor) to kick-in by applying a light pressure on the brake lever, whilst still being able to move forward (e.g. in slow traffic). The front brake is much more powerful so not so easy to "feather".

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ah Dan so you fitted one brake too!

Mine is the back brake as well.

It was a pain getting the old Brompton brake off as I had to cut a slot in the brake bracket where the brake wire goes in to release it. They seem to put the brake cable in and solder the retainer bobble in afterwards :mad:

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The ball of metal at the end of the brake cable didn't fit inside the cut-off brake lever provided with the kit (standard Wuxing gear). I had to file it a little so it would move into its hole.

1967geezer

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2009
Maidenhead, UK
Jerry,

A bit late now, but could you have run a couple of wires from the controller to a reed switch & magnet arrangement fixed onto the original brompton lever? The switch could be encased in heatshrink and epoxied to the fixed section and the magnet epoxied to the moving lever.

Chris.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Chris,

Yer I never thought about that. If I hate the brake I might try that, thanks.

Regards

Jerry