Brake sensors and 1 to 4 cable differences.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Looking at a eBike conversion kit for Brompton.

One I have seen comes with cheap brake levers with integrated (mechanical ?) switches and a 2 pin red Julet style connector.

The KT controller comes with a 1 to 4 cable with matching red 2 pin Julet connectors for the brakes. There are other 1 to 4 cables that have orange 3 pin julet connectors for the brakes.

The brake levers are a bit naff, and I would much prefer to fit the Minishine inline type sensor to the existing brakes levers that detect the movement of the brake inner wire. These inline brake sensors have a 3 pin connector.

Can you interchange between the two types of 1 to 4 cables to get the connections you want for the brake sensors ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Is the pinout of the connector on the KT controllers a standard layout, if so it would imply that you can use either type of 1 to 4 ?

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
The connectors, supply wiring and signal polarity need to match and discussions seem to fall into Bafang vs non-Bafang. So I'd buy the gear that plugs together, test the 1T4 before connecting up and be prepared to rewire it. Remember to publish the wiring :) If the polarity needs inverting a small junction box could replace the Y joint neatly or there may be a controller setting.

Alternatively two AliExpress sellers (sadly Woosh was out of stock) have been happy to customise their kits and ensure the bits play nicely. It can help to ask twice.

Given your Brommie's a work of art have you thought of doing this:
www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/mechanical-issues/brake-switch

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
That hall sensor looks like to me as a 3 pin device. There are magnet operated 2 pin sensors but fitting one would be tricky, see the minimumalist
levers I have;

Alternatively two AliExpress sellers (sadly Woosh was out of stock) have been happy to customise their kits and ensure the bits play nicely. It can help to ask twice.
One can but ask.

The levers that come with the kit are these cheap looking things;

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can you interchange between the two types of 1 to 4 cables to get the connections you want for the brake sensors ?
yes, but beware that there is no standard wiring for 3-pin brake sensor with Hall. You should get the brake sensors and cable from the same supplier.
we normally keep 2-pin red plug simple sensored brake levers with red plugs and 3-pin yellow plug hidden wire brake sensors with Hall and supply corresponding 1-4 cable loom. My Brompton kit however does not have throttle nor brake sensors nor 1-4 cable loom to keep the wiring to a minimum. The LCD goes directly to the controller.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
yes, but beware that there is no standard wiring for 3-pin brake sensor with Hall.
Yes, I sort of guessed that.

The kit I was looking at, does have supplied brake levers with sensors, bu they are naff looking.

Looking at the levers, I can just see a way of using one of those stick on sensors (2 pin) on the black part of the lever body with a magnet inside the hollow area of the handle.

Will have to do some tests.

we normally keep 2-pin red plug simple sensored brake levers with red plugs and 3-pin yellow plug hidden wire brake sensors with Hall and supply corresponding 1-4 cable loom.
Does that mean that by swapping the 1-4 loom type, you can use 2 pin red sensors or the 3 pin yellow ones ?