anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Yes, I vaguely like the liberal tradition, individualism of Anglo saxon culture, the angst, emptiness and flights into states of temporary insanity like brexit or trump I can do without
Life is so dull without those bits of excitement - it keeps people on their toes. More to the point, it keeps their minds occupied, for a while at least, before the next stirrings of rebellion begin.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
Life is so dull without those bits of excitement - it keeps people on their toes. More to the point, it keeps their minds occupied, for a while at least, before the next stirrings of rebellion begin.
That would be true, and potentially lovely in a an adolescent post modern we'll always have Paris kind of way, if the soap opera didn't involve nuclear weapons, drowning refugees, foreign invasions, protectionism, racism, etc

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
That would be true, and potentially lovely in a an adolescent post modern we'll always have Paris kind of way, if the soap opera didn't involve nuclear weapons, drowning refugees, foreign invasions, protectionism, racism, etc
Most of that stuff goes right over people's heads and that is meant in a non-caring way.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I don't see the point it's a bit like me reversing the question and asking you to explain to those would wanted to leave, why we should stay - pointless!

BREXIT - for once some facts... really?
There are literally hundreds of postings and so much said as to why we should stay from Hammond,The Treasury,O'Leary,Osborne,Vince Cable,Soubry,Hesseltine,Clark the list is endless but there is almost nothing said as to why we should leave.
Its interesting that the government is steadfastly refusing to release the studies as to the effects of leaving,why are they frightened to release those reports.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
There are literally hundreds of postings and so much said as to why we should stay from Hammond,The Treasury,O'Leary,Osborne,Vince Cable,Soubry the list is endless but there is almost nothing said as to why we should leave.
Its interesting that the government is steadfastly refusing to release the studies as to the effects of leaving,why are they frightened to release those reports.
KudosDave
I would have thought that to be perfectly obvious - they don't make good reading. Before you jump, let me save you from hurt. Such studies will by their very nature make uncomfortable reading - that's why they do it. I doubt they're frightened, it might not happen that way - these are a merely a series of scenarios. A bit like reading what's on here without the drama.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Know the feeling(s) Forty years is a long time?
Not at all, but it is time I moved to Spain I think. Complicated because of the money mess I have gotten myself into over the years...

I don't think brexit is a good idea because of those 40 years during which I have seen the EU building itself. The positive changes I have witnessed on the ground are vastly superior to the minor inconveniences and mistakes that have been made. One of those mistakes was letting the UK half-heartedly join - one of the rare points where I agree with De Gaulle. You should have been 100% in, as it is you have profited (the City has) without putting much back in.

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I don't see the point it's a bit like me reversing the question and asking you to explain to those would wanted to leave, why we should stay - pointless!

BREXIT - for once some facts... really?
I'll take that as a 'no' then! You have no information, no evidence, no statistics to assist you and it seems you are unable to explain why you think the EU is doomed.

Why on earth did you choose to vote for 'Brexit' then?

Your comment about reversing the question is just plain stupid for this reason: The case for remain can be measured, quantified, costed and future-predicted, at least as much as anything can in an ever-changing world.

Remaining is certainly not pointless so you are simply wrong! What makes your position particularly untenable is that I really believe you cannot see the error and foolhardiness in it - you have no answers to the important questions and are clutching at straws. You may be a fantasist but you have no right to subject almost half of those polled to a future of misery, predicated on a mattress of lies from fascist and racist extremists.

Tom

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Not at all, but it is time I moved to Spain I think. Complicated because of the money mess I have gotten myself into over the years...

I don't think brexit is a good idea because of those 40 years during which I have seen the EU building itself. The positive changes I have witnessed on the ground are vastly superior to the minor inconveniences and mistakes that have been made. One of those mistakes was letting the UK half-heartedly join - one of the rare points where I agree with De Gaulle. You should have been 100% in, as it is you have profited (the City has) without putting much back in.
Bulgaria has some attractions...

I agree that we have not been especially good Europeans albeit I like to think that we are more reliable. There is no doubt that we are less Liberal than the rest and that I suspect is at the route of most of this. Anyway wish you luck on your travels.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Was this written on the other side of the big red bus.....
The so-called divorce bill covers things like the pensions of former EU staff in the UK, the cost of relocating EU agencies based in the UK and outstanding commitments to EU programmes. The UK has said it will meet its legal requirements and there has been speculation the bill could be anywhere between £50bn and £100bn, spread over a number of years.
I wonder how many would have been so keen to vote leave if they were told we may have to pay £100bn to get out....shame on you Cameron you should have told everyone this instead of project fear!!!!
The talks are in deadlock because we wont give the EU what they want and we shouldnt....either scrap the idea or crash out.
KudosDave

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I would have thought that to be perfectly obvious - they don't make good reading. Before you jump, let me save you from hurt. Such studies will by their very nature make uncomfortable reading - that's why they do it. I doubt they're frightened, it might not happen that way - these are a merely a series of scenarios. A bit like reading what's on here without the drama.
But in a democracy we should have the right to read these studies and make up our own minds...this government are desperately trying to hide the truth because it wont fit with the Tory right wing agenda...I wonder what hold the Tory bastards have got over this PM and actually all recent PM's????
KudosDave

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
But in a democracy we should have the right to read these studies and make up our own minds...this government are desperately trying to hide the truth because it wont fit with the Tory right wing agenda...I wonder what hold the Tory bastards have got over this PM and actually all recent PM's????
KudosDave
We will, in about ten years time, I think?

In a democracy we should have the right to...a binding referendum perhaps?

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Was this written on the other side of the big red bus.....
The so-called divorce bill covers things like the pensions of former EU staff in the UK, the cost of relocating EU agencies based in the UK and outstanding commitments to EU programmes. The UK has said it will meet its legal requirements and there has been speculation the bill could be anywhere between £50bn and £100bn, spread over a number of years.
I wonder how many would have been so keen to vote leave if they were told we may have to pay £100bn to get out....shame on you Cameron you should have told everyone this instead of project fear!!!!
The talks are in deadlock because we wont give the EU what they want and we shouldnt....either scrap the idea or crash out.
KudosDave
Were where you lot when all this was going one - did you tell everyone/ anyone? Having said that we'd have been paying those bills had we voted to stay in - this way we might not.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Barnier cannot secure a final UK financial settlement - Merkle's hands tied on EU future funding by the FDP if she can get a coalition together and Macron's expansion plan.
Assume this bit was outside the box?

Barnier cannot secure a final settlement - Merkle's hands tied on EU future funding by the FDP if she can get a coalition together and Macron's expansion plan

Agreed and true of course, as is, I believe, the story is that the ECJ will have the final say on the deal.From the EU perspective that is.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
That will be the same government that has also blatantly refused to reveal details of the 'arrangement' with Nissan and possibly all the Japanese carmakers present in the UK, despite requests under the FOI act.

There is a body of opinion, I understand, that reckons the £1billion bribe to the Orange Lodge DUP, doesn't even come close to the total figure.

All tories are inveterate liars - it's their stock in trade - but this current misadministration must be the most corrupt in modern history.

Tom

• Agree

Advertisers