Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Distance means nothing (Miquelon and St Pierre). But, as you say, the CI are outside the EU and, as I said, outside the UK. With NI we would be erecting a NEW border within the UK.
the fact is the UK is leaving the EU, hard border is unavoidable.
If you divorce your wife, you can't blame her for changing the locks.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Distance means nothing (Miquelon and St Pierre). But, as you say, the CI are outside the EU and, as I said, outside the UK. With NI we would be erecting a NEW border within the UK.
Sorry Oyster, those of us 10 mike's south of Newry, would not see it as within the UK.. We would see it was between two legal jurisdictions..

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Westminster 'owns' Stormont, so the UK government will have to negotiate amendments to the GFA to reflect future trading relationship with the EU.
I still find it difficult to see Westminster successfully arguing two different regimes at the same time. Each time they explain why policy A is so wonderful for one side, they will have to say why it would be so wrong for the other side.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Common nonsense. Why should we in mainland find ourselves with a hard border between us and NI?

What if NI say they want no brexit?
.. They did!!!!. And very emphatically also. The DUP , while in general have the support of the majority in NI, on other matters are in a minority on this topic. This would not matter except that the historical failure of the countervailing party, SF have steadfastly refused to take their seats in Westminster,for close to 100 years now. And made worse because the UK parliament has failed to either close down the NI Parliament, for non performance and impose proper direct rule or force new elections.
Maybe Westminster would have the gumption to do the right thing but with the current BREXIt induced paralysis and the DUPs veto, limbo..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I still find it difficult to see Westminster successfully arguing two different regimes at the same time. Each time they explain why policy A is so wonderful for one side, they will have to say why it would be so wrong for the other side.
Agree.. nearly as difficult as arguing that a second referendum would be undemocratic as it would not be respecting the will of the people!.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Agree.. nearly as difficult as arguing that a second referendum would be undemocratic as it would not be respecting the will of the people!.
The most fantastic notion of all is that the result of a Referendum is sacred and cannot be questioned when circumstances change.

That is a "Terms of Sale small print swindle" of Breathtaking arrogance.
Where if you buy a product unfit for purpose and not as advertised, you cannot take it back

Whoever this fella "Will of the people" is he is a born loser, the victim of any and all plausible con artists that want to take advantage.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it would be so much easier if we join EFTA.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The most fantastic notion of all is that the result of a Referendum is sacred and cannot be questioned when circumstances change.
I find galling every time JRM comes to the TV to tell us that people voted to leave the Single Market.
As if.
There is no proof that they did so.
Polls after polls, only about 26% of those who voted want us to leave the SM.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here is where you need to put up the hard border in NI... Otherwise the 349,442 people who voted to leave the EU could just move to the mainland and let the others get on with business...

There I just solved the border problem!

NI-map.png

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will be so much easier when after the troubles to come we rejoin the EU
Ah but in EFTA we'd have some of that elusive Sovereignty. Like Gollum, we could all say "It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious."

I think if I was launching a brand name now it would be Sovereign, after all there are at least 17 million willing customers lined up it seems.

The pound's original name was the Sovereign and that is still its face value. If only Poundland had called themselves Sovereignland they'd probably never have failed with so many friends among the public.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This would not matter except that the historical failure of the countervailing party, SF have steadfastly refused to take their seats in Westminster,for close to 100 years now.
What is that - five at present? Could have made all the difference (depending on many other factors, of course).

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Sorry Oyster, those of us 10 mike's south of Newry, would not see it as within the UK.. We would see it was between two legal jurisdictions..
I rather agree - not that it is my place to pass any form of judgement on that issue.

I rather hoped that many of the issues of national borders of countries within the EU would reduce as those borders had less of a direct impact than in the past. A number of years ago I was in regular contact with people who live in France but work in Germany every day - somewhere not far away from Strasbourg. A short commute.

Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ah but in EFTA we'd have some of that elusive Sovereignty. Like Gollum, we could all say "It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious."

I think if I was launching a brand name now it would be Sovereign, after all there are at least 17 million willing customers lined up it seems.

The pound's original name was the Sovereign and that is still its face value. If only Poundland had called themselves Sovereignland they'd probably never have failed with so many friends among the public.
I did the Publicity photo's for a Caravan company called "Sovereign "
They went bust the year after that
Can't think why.....:confused:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Was also the name of one of the nastiest, extreme downmarket cigarettes ever. B&H for the poor.
If you really want to increase your "personal space" the cigarette of choice has to be a "Balkan Sobranie" I recall that the taste was superb, but the smell wasn't all that popular.
But the worst cigarette competition for me was between British Wodbines AKA Coffin Nails, and the French cigarettes made from discarded and used linings of Viking Helmets, the dreaded Gauloises Caporal

Last edited:

Advertisers