Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Errr. That's the Daily Mail Woosh. Must be made up.
Surely the Express can't be wrong too? :D
Brexit LIVE: No deal NEARS - Barnier RIPS APART white paper as 10 states raise objections
THE prospect of a no deal Brexit inched closer to reality this afternoon after the EU’s chief negotiator questioned whether Theresa May’s vision for the split is “workable”.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Happy with the result of voting Brexit? it rather makes the mantra of the Brexiteers that they knew what they were voting for and expected to gain look naive now, but don't worry some fudge will be worked out and you will find people grow accustomed to being worse off and treated badly in future.
We were after all when I started work and things only took a generation to improve.

Strange notion voting to put the clock back to the mid 1900's, but hey it's the "Will of the people" and "Democracy"
Of course being given the chance to change our minds would be too......

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Most of what the EU does is push an agenda of consumer, worker and environmental protection. It also doles out funds to regions which are neglected by national government (hello Wales?) etc.

But you don't want any of that, you are British!

What a strange lot you are. The economical hurt for the 27 will be much easier to resorb than for you alone. Even for Ireland which you seem hell bent on hurting because they have 26 friends and allies to help them.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Most of what the EU does is push an agenda of consumer, worker and environmental protection. It also doles out funds to regions which are neglected by national government (hello Wales?) etc.

But you don't want any of that, you are British!

What a strange lot you are. The economical hurt for the 27 will be much easier to resorb than for you alone. Even for Ireland which you seem hell bent on hurting because they have 26 friends and allies to help them.
Amazing what a few lies and lots of Russian money can buy, or is it lots of lies and a little Russian Money? (plus technical "assistance")

On a referendum identified on the introductory bill as "Advisory"that some idiot politicians took it upon themselves to make legally binding, to stitch up the rabid nutters in UKIP.

And a gutless House of Commons afraid of the rabble reaction to saying this is a really really bad idea, let's ask the public to reconsider, now the level of risk is revealed?

And what has been revealed since the referendum?
All sorts of right wing subversive organisations like the ERA and Capx and the leave campaign itself, all funded by unknown "benefactors" for agendas far removed from the public's best interests, pursuing their own ends at the public expense.

And of course their rent a lie press under Murdoch and the inheritors of the Daily Mail fascist tendency, doing their best to keep the campaign going to protect off shore tax havens at all costs.

If you voted for Brexit and still maintain that "You knew what you were voting " then the question is

Do you know the difference between being a victim of these people and a collaborator?

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
http://www.civitas.org.uk/publications/the-brussels-broadcasting-corporation/is

Good article about bias in BBC against leave... From Civitas.
Click on Europe after opening link.
At one time it felt as if Farage, surely he counts as a leaver?, was the most prominent person on program after program. Not just "news", but the secondary exposure - Have I Got News For You, Radio 4 having lunch with, etc.

No, I have not done the detailed research that this organisation claims.

There again, I looked up the authors of the article, both mentioned here:

http://powerbase.info/index.php/Newswatch

Not exactly independent.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even Bloomberg see there is an issue with democracy in EU.
Please list any countries or supranational organisations which do NOT have a problem with democracy?

Or local councils, states, whatever other level you wish to discuss.

Democracy is always a problem. It is always necessary to fight for it. And in the real-world it is always going to be far from perfect.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
even to an ignoramus like me, that article is just another advert to entice you to bet on the disintegration of the EU.
Personally, I think I'll be dead well before the Euro or the EU disintegrates.

examples:
Crisis number 1: the demographics of Europe spell doom
This is not new. All governments adjust their immigration policy, retirement age and pension schemes to deal with this problem.
Crisis number 2: the Italian banking crisis is coming
The ECB has been dealing with this problem for years. For years, some people predict that Greece is going to exit the Eurozone. Has it happened yet?
Crisis number 3: downfall of the EU
some people of course love it to be true. If it is imminent, then why bother to exit?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At one time it felt as if Farage, surely he counts as a leaver?, was the most prominent person on program after program. Not just "news", but the secondary exposure - Have I Got News For You, Radio 4 having lunch with, etc.

No, I have not done the detailed research that this organisation claims.

There again, I looked up the authors of the article, both mentioned here:

http://powerbase.info/index.php/Newswatch

Not exactly independent.
Bent as a "Nine Bob Note!" as the old Yorkshire saying went.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
even to an ignoramus like me, that article is just another advert to entice you to bet on the disintegration of the EU.
Personally, I think I'll be dead well before the Euro or the EU disintegrates.

examples:

This is not new. All governments adjust their immigration policy, retirement age and pension schemes to deal with this problem.

The ECB has been dealing with this problem for years. For years, some people predict that Greece is going to exit the Eurozone. Has it happened yet?

some people of course love it to be true. If it is imminent, then why bother to exit?
This part was amusing, and read like an advert for Wndows anti Virus software.
"

How does Russian Roulette end?
Which particular problem causes an economic crisis in Europe and the collapse of the EUdoesn’t really matter. They’re lined up like dominoes in a circle.

But it is important to stay up to date on each mess. Because it’s the timing of the crisis that’s the key. You need to know when things are reaching a critical stage. And you can do so by subscribing to Capital & Conflict today. We’d love to keep you in the know..

And a fat lot of use that knowledge would be, the stated aim of this outfit is to offer a "free service" to investors (in other words work some market fiddle or other and mug them) that purports to help them glean a profit when the proverbial hits the fan.
Too good to be true as usual with this sort of thing.
You would have to be wet behind the ears to believe they are doing this out of largesse.
In a way they are doing something justifiable if immoral.
Conning the con men and women.
proverbially in the words of the old saying

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em.
And little fleas have small fleas
And so ad infinitum.."

Just substitute "investors" for "fleas" :D

Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
What did you expect?
I expected a cost and a lot of disruption short term, but I feel that the EU have tried to make it as difficult as possible for us to leave creating unnecessary disruption and expense. I know that they may be able to absorb it better, after all they'll just expect all the contributors to pay more. I don't think that many of the countries who do a lot of trade with us will be thinking ''oh that's ok it's only the UK, we'll just absorb the extra costs and drop in trade so that our leaders can be obdurate and make their point''You talk as if we are some insignificant little country that has nothing to offer the world, but like all the pessimists in government and business you may end up looking very silly. The EU are afraid that we may get a competitive edge over them and their big cosy cartel may come crashing down. This is my own view. You have a right to disagree with it but I think a lot of people in this country agree with me

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but I feel that the EU have tried to make it as difficult as possible for us to leave creating unnecessary disruption and expense.
I believe we should separate the NI border issue that needs to be sorted by November at the latest and the future FTA next.
Believe it or not, the current difficulty is not caused by the EU but by No 10 in insisting that the UK must have the same benefits as NI after the transition if we have WTO brexit.

Crazy or what?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I expected a cost and a lot of disruption short term, but I feel that the EU have tried to make it as difficult as possible for us to leave creating unnecessary disruption and expense. I know that they may be able to absorb it better, after all they'll just expect all the contributors to pay more. I don't think that many of the countries who do a lot of trade with us will be thinking ''oh that's ok it's only the UK, we'll just absorb the extra costs and drop in trade so that our leaders can be obdurate and make their point''You talk as if we are some insignificant little country that has nothing to offer the world, but like all the pessimists in government and business you may end up looking very silly. The EU are afraid that we may get a competitive edge over them and their big cosy cartel may come crashing down. This is my own view. You have a right to disagree with it but I think a lot of people in this country agree with me
The facts disagree with you more than I do, try looking up the Government's own figures.
The EU have not in any way been trying to make it difficult, if anything they have been very patient with us
They told us at the start what the conditions of leaving were, we consistently acted the fool in response.
Why should countries trade with us when there are bigger advantages of direct trade with the EU?
Haven't you thought about that?
And in any case what matters is what we sell, not what we buy, with a manufacturing sector only here for access to the EU that isn't even under UK ownership, and may simply move there
We haven't got a hope, have we?
Why do you think May is trying so hard to keep the advantages of staying in the EU?
It isn't because whe wants to upset you personally, it's because she has access to the truth that we are heading into disaster, and doesn't want to be remembered for causing it.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here is an example of the Myths that abound regarding our situation
Government figures put unemployment as low as 4.5%
However
http://uk.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in-danger-of-exposing-the-lie-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7?r=UK&IR=T
"The problem with this record is that the statistical definition of "unemployment" relies on a fiction that economists tell themselves about the nature of work. As the rate gets lower and lower, it tests that lie. Because — as anyone who has studied basic economics knows — the official definition of unemployment disguises the true rate. In reality, about 21.5% of all working-age people (defined as ages 16 to 64) are without jobs, or 8.83 million people, according to the Office for National Statistics.

So much for the fiction it is worse in the EU

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Think its the majority agree with you, and a growing majority at that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel that the EU have tried to make it as difficult as possible for us to leave creating unnecessary disruption and expense.
How could you even begin to think this? The EU haven't been trying to make things difficult in any way whatsoever. They are merely saying that they and their 27 other members are not going to change the rules that suit them to make it easy for us to leave. Why on earth should they, they aren't the ones leaving?

Remember, we played a large part in making all those rules over 44 years and parliament signed up to them and all the treaties involved. We can't just say "Oh we didn't really mean it", pretending it never happened. We just have to accept what we've done with good grace and either stay in or leave on those previously agreed terms.

The EU are afraid that we may get a competitive edge over them and their big cosy cartel may come crashing down.
This is pure fantasy. Just look at the worldwide selling success of Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Denmark et al. Do you really think there's the slightest indication of us being able to outcompete them? If so, why hasn't it already happened, we've been under the same rules and operating conditions?

Advertisers