Brexit, for once some facts.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Too complicated a set of conclusions Rob.

The reality will be what it's always been, that the electorate as a whole will be dissatisfied, whatever the outcome.
That may also be true.

But I do think Brexit cannot be judged quickly or in isolation which makes fairly assessing its impact very difficult.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That may also be true.

But I do think Brexit cannot be judged quickly or in isolation which makes fairly assessing its impact very difficult.
You had better hope for the sake of peace that the public are so patient,
For if they are not....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
In the run-up to the EU referendum, Mrs Mayhem positioned herself as a remainer:

View attachment 17935

Under this tory government, this happened, (from Private Eye):

View attachment 17936

If this government remains in office much longer, this is what will happen:

View attachment 17937

Nobody should be amused by this!

Tom
All old hat with no point.

Common knowledge May was a lukewarm Remainer - hence the publicity pic.

Cameron leaving was a bit of a surprise, May stood for the Tory leadership on a ticket of honouring the referendum vote.

Where's the beef?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Common knowledge May was a lukewarm Remainer - hence the publicity pic.
A fine example of the Wishful thinking that is so popular with the Brexit Voters, which is easily countered with this
How do you know she isn't a lukewarm Brexit supporter?
How can you trust a Turncoat?

Brexit :
the ultimate expression of Wishful thinking triumphing over common sense.
Having to put your trust into someone proven Publicly to be Untrustworthy because you have no choice.:D

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A fine example of the Wishful thinking that is so popular with the Brexit Voters, which is easily countered with this
How do you know she isn't a lukewarm Brexit supporter?
How can you trust a Turncoat?

Brexit :
the ultimate expression of Wishful thinking triumphing over common sense.
Having to put your trust into someone proven Publicly to be Untrustworthy because you have no choice.:D
It doesn't matter if she's a lukewarm Brexit or anything else supporter.

She took the PM job on the simple basis of making the best of Brexit.

There is no rabbit away here, it's all an open book.

Looks to me as if Mrs May has hit the ground running.

She's making a good fist of Brexit, and managed to charm the Trumpster, who on the kindest view is a loose cannon.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It looks like the Lords are going to be able to pass 2 amendments to Brexit,the Tories are in minority in the Lords....
1. That EU citizens currently residing in the UK are to be given an automatic right to stay here,this is effective even if the EU does not give similar rights to UK citizens living in the EU.
This is causing a lot of worry for EU citizens in the UK,even if married or partnered with an UK domicile,it starts the moral high ground that the EU should reciprocate.
2. That parliament has a veto before the final deal is concluded between the EU and the U.K.
Will Corbyn finally get some spine and support these motions,just being May's puppet hasn't done the Labour Party much good.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It doesn't matter if she's a lukewarm Brexit or anything else supporter.

She took the PM job on the simple basis of making the best of Brexit.

There is no rabbit away here, it's all an open book.

Looks to me as if Mrs May has hit the ground running.

She's making a good fist of Brexit, and managed to charm the Trumpster, who on the kindest view is a loose cannon.
You do appear to have rose tinted specs on these matters. May and Trump are both performing in the early stages of dictators,I don't know any dictator in history who ultimately succeeded and many met with a sticky end.
Will be interesting who falls first Trump or May....my money would be on Trump,alienating himself from the prime US press could come back and bite him. Out in a year,or dead !!!
I can see May stamping her feet at some time when the EU won't budge,the devil for her is that the tax money will run out and she is being an ostrich about social care,the NHS and poor investment.....still just borrow a few more billions. But she will last the 2 years.
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not rose tinted specs, just clear ones.

The visit to America went better than could be expected, and May seems to me to be making a reasonable fist of the Brexit remit, although it's early days.

The by-election victory suggests voters, at least in Cumbria, seem to agree, given the electorate usually uses a by-election to give the government of the day a slap in the chops.

As regards May's longevity, the next election is in May, 2020.

I reckon Brexit will go OK/be a damp squib.

May - who is getting no younger - will step aside in the autumn of 2019 so the Tories will have the chance of electing their next leader to fight the next election.

May will thus give herself a few years to enjoy her inevitable seat in the House of Lords, basking in the glory - even if it's only self-appointed - of a PM/Brexit job well done.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

The visit to America went better than could be expected, and May seems to me to be making a reasonable fist of the Brexit remit, although it's early days.

The by-election victory suggests voters, at least in Cumbria, seem to agree, given the electorate usually uses a by-election to give the government of the day a slap in the chops.

May - who is getting no younger - will step aside in the autumn of 2019 so the Tories will have the chance of electing their next leader to fight the next election.

May will thus give herself a few years to enjoy her inevitable seat in the House of Lords, basking in the glory - even if it's only self-appointed - of a PM/Brexit job well done.
As I remarked earlier, all fantasy and Dreams, a bit like tales of Narnia.
As is your wishful thinking about the Cumbria vote, it was nothing to do with May, just JOBS.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As I remarked earlier, all fantasy and Dreams, a bit like tales of Narnia.
Neither.

It's my view of May's time as PM so far, and my prediction of what will likely happen.

If I thought it would go another way I would say so - no point in joining the discussion otherwise.

Very Droll!
Seems obvious to me Farage, thinking post-MEP and Brexit - decided to see if he could make his way in America.

What better way to do that than to make friends with the next President?

Farage has been clever/lucky enough to do that, and is now reaping the rewards.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

Wow,that is amazingly optimistic....are you suggesting that Brexit will at best be ok but May will think she has done a good job?
I also don't agree that May will step aside,unless health intervenes,to be fair she seems to be coping quite well with all the travelling. I cannot see having gone through all the pain of Brexit and if she makes a success of it,then not want to see a full second term and really move the Tories to the right.
Corbyn is useless as an opposition and looks to get worse not better and May has no power against her (Tony Blair quote) so it's only the EU and if Brexit proves a disaster that can unseat her.
IMHO I do think Brexit will be a disaster but mainly within the poor Leavers who are disappointed,the rich will deal with it and prosper,a need to be flexible to deal with a new trading mechanism.
But,who knows,Morgan Stanley reckon that the £ is 15% undervalued and will be 1.45 to the dollar by 2018. Deutsche Bank reckon it's way overvalued and the U.K. will suffer by Brexit and will be 1.05 by year end.
If Deutsche bank is correct you might as well open a food bank supermarket in every town,for only the rich will be able to afford to eat.
Let's see how May,Boris and Davis manage to negotiate Brexit,have we really got confidence in them.....something about a stag doo in a Brewery,hehe
KudosDave

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just read that the EU workers in our care homes,has risen from 65,000 to 92,000 in 3 years. Jeremy Hunt admitted that the care system would fall apart if we restricted EU workers doing this important and caring job,he said they needed to be a special case.
So the care workers need to be a special case,the farm workers need to be a special case,the hospitality industry (hotels,restaurants etc) needs to be a special case,the City of London needs to be a special case, research scientists need to be a special case and don't forget the NHS that needs to be a special case. It's difficult to see where we are going to reduce net migration,maybe we can stop Polish construction workers,but hey-ho we want to build north-south x-rail,1 million new homes,HS2 and the third runway at Heathrow,the construction workers need to be a special case,hehe.......
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Bang goes another Promise
"
European Human Rights convention in POWER post Brexit as British equivalent 'shelved'
THERESA May has scrapped plans for a British Bill of Rights – because the country can only handle one massive constitutional change at a time."

And a real porkie!
Migrant benefits ‘to be AXED under radical new Brexit immigration plans’

MIGRANT benefits will be axed for new arrivals while workers in key economic sectors will receive multi-year work permits, rumours from Theresa May’s post-Brexit visa plan suggest.

How can you Axe something they don't get?
The Government doesn't have to pay them under EU rules. or is this an admission it is doing so for some reason?
And note the Multi Year work permits...can anyone explain how that differs from "Free Movement"?
Why bother to "Control Immigration" it that's all it amounts to?

But at least TM has revealed how she is going to save money on administering "Control" of our Borders.
Just give immigrant workers the equivalent of a British Passport and the Job's Done, and when you think about that they won't count as immigrants any more will they?
No need to record them any more.
What a Brilliant con!
Did you Vote for Brexit? you have been well and truly swindled!

Brexit equals: No change, just promises and deceits.
And the icing on the cake rising costs due to inflation.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Neither.

It's my view of May's time as PM so far, and my prediction of what will likely happen.

If I thought it would go another way I would say so - no point in joining the discussion otherwise.

Seems obvious to me Farage, thinking post-MEP and Brexit - decided to see if he could make his way in America.

What better way to do that than to make friends with the next President?

Farage has been clever/lucky enough to do that, and is now reaping the rewards.
The snag with Farage's plan is the "Next president" might be in office sooner than expected the way this Cartoon Character is acting.
Apparently according the the Wall Street journal 54% of Americans want a Congressional investigation into Trumps links with Putin and Russia.

Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also don't agree that May will step aside,unless health intervenes. - - - - - - - - Corbyn is useless as an opposition and looks to get worse not better

All our thoughts on the future of these two could be upset yet.

David Miliband has just said he is considering a return to UK politics due to his concern with what is happening to Labour. He is the one person who could completely turn round Labour's prospects. Of course he could have been their leader long ago, but for the stupidity of the unions in choosing his far less suitable brother.

Given the scale of the present Labour mess, the unions might well rethink if David M. becomes available, or the party might change its current leader choice voting system to get him in.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
or the party might change its current leader choice voting system to get him in.
About time too.
The way the two main parties select their leader is dangerous. We elect intelligent, educated people to represent us in parliament then hand over the selection of their leaders and future PMs to the one member one vote system which disadvantages the consensual leaders.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Labour have 2 major problems...
Corbyn just doesn't have ministerial presence,but the prime problem is that they don't have a clearly defined voice over Brexit.
Theresa May is 'Brexit at all costs' whatever the route and the outcome she can claim 'we are abiding by the will of the people'
Corbyn should be brave and take a stance that whilst he agrees with Brexit it is not 'Brexit at all costs' but 'Brexit that makes sense for our country'....he may lose some ardent Brexit votes but attract many of the 16 million Remainers.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Advertisers