Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Reading the article it doesn't have much to do with the money but rather the nature of the jobs - not good enough for your elite working class. They have tried employing people from the UK who don't have the luxury of cherry picking (oh! a rather good joke IIMSSM :)) jobs such as ex-prisoners etc. There the problem was reliability and, gasp, being knowledgeable enough to do the simple tasks demanded...

I think it is more a problem of attitude rather than wages. I am speaking from personal experience - I don't particularly like what I do but I no longer have the leisure to pick and choose. The money is good enough for what I do and enables me to live (not just exist) in a place I love.
If you liked what you were doing it would be a hobby not work, and why would anyone pay you?.. shades of Mark twain. The trick in life is to derive satisfaction in doing what you have to do , or in being where you want to be

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The trick in life is to derive satisfaction in doing what you have to do , or in being where you want to be
Pre any school and seeing my older brother going to school, I just wanted to do the same. But once I found out what school was like I hated it and wanted to escape out to work.

But once I got there it was no better, so at 16 I decided I'd retire early and meanwhile have breaks from work whenever I could.

So that's what I did. Four years of work, a break and then six years army which was largely a holiday. Then a year off followed by twelve years work. Then another year long break, followed by a final work period with two shorter breaks during it.

Then very early retirement and I've been retired for 27 years and hopefully will get close to 40 years of it.

But I often say I should have retired at 16, or maybe even 5 to miss out all the bad stuff. I think it was Anthony Newley who said "Stop the world, I want to get off". I know how he felt.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent"
Fears for economy as number of EU migrants leaving Brexit Britain surges
Dramatic fall in net migration mostly driven by surge in EU citizens leaving the country

Why would they want to leave us? is it something we said? (or didn't)?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!
Blimey! Some people are really going to get a massive cumuppance in the not too distant future.

'Ere!......what's goin' on then? This ain't wot I voted for!'........Oh, dear oh dear! Intelligent people stop believing in Father Xmas, the tooth fairy and fairy tales generally at a fairly young age but some still believe.....deep down, they think miracles do happen and someone like Nigel Fartarse is a messiah, placed on this earth to free good, honest, hard-working taxpayers from all the evils any form of union or federation inevitably brings to bear on mankind.

Let's get on with the party.....why aren't we negotiating today? Is it in respect for the dead and bereaved in the Manchester atrocity? That didn't stop the football match in Stockholm so when do we resume negotiations on the biggest political change this country has faced since 1973?

I rather think our 'square peg in a round hole' PM has demonstrated beautifully just how inept she is as a stateswoman recently on several issues but remembering she chose the team to conduct the UK business in the secession discussions, it's not difficult to understand why we are in disarray and why the EU 27 are not in the least bothered by the threats and sabre-rattling emanating from 10, Downing St and tory central office.

Picking up on the point made elsewhere about Brits being unwilling to do the jobs that immigrants do, well that may change dramatically if the lunatic woman should get her wish and is returned to office with any kind of majority. Do those benefit cases think May, IDS and the like will continue to pay benefits while there are crops to be picked in the fields and the eastern Europeans have chosen to seek their fortunes elsewhere?

I really can't wait now for the pain to hit home on the domestic lifestyles of the tossers who voted for 'Brexit' for all the wrong reasons because they were stupid enough to believe charlatans and snake-oil salesmen. I foresee a huge downturn in the tattoo parlour industry and probably the same in nail bars with fast food outlets and large-chain public houses recording big downturns in trade.

'Yeah', they retort.....'it will be hard to begin with but over time, we will be so much better off with bucket-loads of sovereignty and no horrible immigrants stealing our jobs or undercutting our self-employed tax cheats.....sorry.....businessmen/women!'

Who would ever have guessed that it would be like this today with so little to look forward to after all that flag-waving and jingoistic demonstrations of the old bulldog spirit? We'll be winning another football world cup soon - just you wait and see!........actually, I put that in for the 9 year-olds...and trolls! The rest of us are probably too advanced in years to stand any chance of witnessing that one!

Hey ho!

Tom

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"A man must be both stupid and uncharitable who believes there is no virtue or truth but on his own side."

Addison wrote this over 200 years ago.
Wonder if he owned a pedelec?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Let's get on with the party.....why aren't we negotiating today?
we are waiting the the EU to start, oldtom.
They hold all the cards. Our only defense is to walk out with nothing.
So we have to behave.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So many political genius wasting there obvious superior intelligence on an ebike forum :) the future of a once great nation being pondered over the handlebars.as Horrendous as it is you do make me chuckle people.
Congratulations on the "John Wayne" style entrance, now you have stood in judgement on us mere mortals, are we going to benefit from your superior wisdom or is that all we are getting?
A pointless put down?
Reveal your true colours, warts and all if you must. :cool:

We welcome all sorts, as you can see by the approvals of your comment.
BTW. the plural of genius is geniuses, but being superior, you obviously knew that

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Express
"
Lloyd's begin post-Brexit financial exodus with shock decision that will delight Juncker
LLOYD'S of London have started their post-Brexit financial exodus by opening up a new financial hub in Brussels, the capital of the European project.

Inga Beale, chief executive officer at Lloyd's of London, picked Brussels to set up the new post-Brexit financial centre.

The decision to move jobs to Brussels will fly in the face of Brexiteers who rejected the EU - including the insurer's chairman Lord Blackwell, who is a well-known pro-Brexit supporter.

Mrs Beale said the new financial hub will open up in 2019 is a Brexit insurance office, as a way to continue operating with European business as normal.

The move follows the failure of the insurance market to secure 'passporting' rights in London for financial companies to conduct business across the EU after Brexit.

Naughty, naughty!

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Wouldn't it be fun if Belgium had a referendum and decided exit the EU?

• :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Congratulations on the "John Wayne" style entrance, now you have stood in judgement on us mere mortals, are we going to benefit from your superior wisdom or is that all we are getting?
A pointless put down?
Reveal your true colours, warts and all if you must. :cool:

We welcome all sorts, as you can see by the approvals of your comment.
BTW. the plural of genius is geniuses, but being superior, you obviously knew that
Ahem... genii would be plural your honor... :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Wouldn't it be fun if Belgium had a referendum and decided exit the EU?
Last time they tried to vote a government in it took them 541 days. Just saying :rolleyes: so you can imagine how long it would take them to hold a referendum! :eek:

• :D
Reactions: robdon and Croxden

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not so, but it is an alternative

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Just trying to lift standards, doing my bit! Once you leave the EU going back to pig latin would do the country a world of good, you mark my words! :D

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So many political genius wasting there obvious superior intelligence on an ebike forum :) the future of a once great nation being pondered over the handlebars.as Horrendous as it is you do make me chuckle people.
They make you chuckle, but at least that's better than the lot who really are in charge, who are on the verge of bringing us to tears.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
meanwhile, the Pound suffers a big drop today as news of Mr Corbyn closing the gap hits the media - Labour is now said to be just 5 points behind the conservatives.
The market thinks that the likelihood of Mr Corbyn winning or at least not losing and not resigning has increased substantially. A government led by Mr Corbyn will tax the rich and spend more on the poor. They can't have that.
Shouldn't the market celebrate the possibility of Mr Corbyn winning?
The risk of hard brexit will go away if the tories lose.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers