Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"
All very wordy, but if we boil all the crap out of the words, as Dr Jambanathan, my Thermo-Fluids lecturer used to say, we are left with what matters and sometimes that is nothing at all. The blimp is abusive, the blimp is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress. As a minimum, the police should ask the operators not to inflate and fly it. If they do, they should be prosecuted. End of.
Alarm and distress?
At most two people, and apart from you that only leaves Trump.

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
"

Alarm and distress?
That’s enough for the offence under Section 5 of The Public Order Act to be complete. I’m very pleased that you recognise and accept my point.

Reactions: Zlatan
The video clip is satirical humour and I like it. The Khan sanctioned balloon isn’t. It’s a low-grade childish novelty act, a bit like Khan himself.
You do realise that you're drawing a distinction between the two, when they are actually the same thing. Idential in fact, one is just physical satrical comedy, and the other is reporting on that satirical comedy and adding to it slightly.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I rather thought that BoJo and Trump were very much into offensive humour.

Boris Johnson wins 'most offensive Erdoğan poem' competition
Ex-London mayor wins £1,000 prize for limerick about Turkish president in contest challenging crackdown on free speech

Boris Johnson has won a £1,000 prize for a rude poem about the Turkish president having sex with a goat.

The former mayor of London’s limerick, published by the Spectator as a rebuff to Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s efforts to prosecute a German comedian’s offensive poem, also calls the president a “wankerer”.

Boorish Boris: Johnson’s Libya joke is proof he cannot do his job

Jonathan Freedland
He is meant to be Britain’s chief diplomat, yet his attention-seeking behaviour is offending people abroad and at home – while a rival is stealing his shtick

Anyone who thinks Trump was "just joking" about shooting Clinton is missing the point

About Rep. Maxine Water’s calls for his impeachment:

“And I say — and I get in trouble for this — ‘she has to immediately take an IQ test,’ and people go crazy.”

If you hand it out, you have to take it.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You do realise that you're drawing a distinction between the two, when they are actually the same thing. Idential in fact, one is just physical satrical comedy, and the other is reporting on that satirical comedy and adding to it slightly.
I can’t agree with that. I see the blimp as an enterprise intended to insult and hurt an individual. The video clip derives the humour from the ridiculousness of the situation as a whole, not specifically the individual.

Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I find Donald Trump a clever and dangerous politician.
He is very effective in negotiation because he won't run away from a fight and is quite willing to use tactics that are normally not seen in politics.
For example: it's clear what he said in the interview by Tom Newton Dunn yesterday and today, he dismissed the report as fake news. The video clip is real. Does he take all of us for stupid? and yet, people keep saying 'oh well, he is not a politician', find him amusing and promptly forgive him. As if.
He is going to destroy the already low standard of political rules of engagement and behaviour. If more politicians adopt his ways, will you be able to trust international treaties and government heads? who can you trust?

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No it isn't, so stop making it up, if you tried that on you would get "done" for wasting police time
And your dislike of the London mayor is clouding your judgement.
That’s enough for the offence under Section 5 of The Public Order Act to be complete. I’m very pleased that you recognise and accept my point.
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
18 million viewers didn't switch it off at its peak with 132 episodes made.

I can't believe folk here are spitting their dummies out over a satirical depiction of Trump with a baby's body held aloft...

Baby Trump! Donald Trump's Mini-Me Appears at Rally Oct 10th, 2016 in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Feel free to turn video off if it disturbs you...
It's not particularly about the blimp representing Trump its the dual standards that annoys me. Or are you actually saying had there been a similar depiction of a Muslim ( or any ethnic group apart from white/English/American) it would have been accepted. Its also a complete waste of money and makes us all look stupid and immature. It's childish to the extreme, hardly humorous and barely satirical. It's the sort of display some Y10 at school would plan, surprised it didn't actually fart or something... Trump... Its that level of humour and by the way it can not be turned off or left unopened as your link can.
The only reason the event has sparked such debate on here is because there are some amongst us immature enough to defend it,because you are right, it was a complete none event gleaning more derision than anything else.
Some on here must have money to burn supporting it financially, like there aren't more worthy causes.?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
News reports are suggesting that a bottle containing Novichok has been found in the house of the woman supposedly killed by the same substance.

This is all very strange. As the old saying goes, there is nothing like a bottle of Novichok to deflect media attention away from Brexit.

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's not particularly about the blimp representing Trump its the dual standards that annoys me. Or are you actually saying had there been a similar depiction of a Muslim ( or any ethnic group apart from white/English/American) it would have been accepted. Its also a complete waste of money and makes us all look stupid and immature. It's childish to the extreme, hardly humorous and barely satirical. It's the sort of display some Y10 at school would plan, surprised it didn't actually fart or something... Trump... Its that level of humour and by the way it can not be turned off or left unopened as your link can.
The only reason the event has sparked such debate on here is because there are some amongst us immature enough to defend it,because you are right, it was a complete none event gleaning more derision than anything else.
Some on here must have money to burn supporting it financially, like there aren't more worthy causes.?
As you seem to be a willing arbiter of taste here - Is this a badly made tribute or a well crafted satire... Does its mere appearance offend or humour you? What if it depicted a similar Muslim? Is the depiction cost effective?

Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As you seem to be a willing arbiter of taste here - Is this a badly made tribute or a well crafted satire... Does its mere appearance offend or humour you? What if it depicted a similar Muslim? Is the depiction cost effective?

Was it floating over houses of Parliament? Or just sat in some field waiting to be admired by passers by...
Thanks for vote of confidence, forum needs taste police sometimes. I accept the post.
Cost effective, it looks much better than blimp in that department. Blimp cost some fools £5k to build and £2K each filling.. apparently so badly made it went down after 2 hours and needed filling again.
Me thinks somebody had their leg lifted.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Was it floating over houses of Parliament? Or just sat in some field waiting to be admired by passers by...
Thanks for vote of confidence, forum needs taste police sometimes. I accept the post.
Cost effective, it looks much better than blimp in that department. Blimp cost some fools £5k to build and £2K each filling.. apparently so badly made it went down after 2 hours and needed filling again.
Me thinks somebody had their leg lifted.
Trump comes from the home of the first amendment:

Full Text of the First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Do you not think that, just possibly, it would run foul of the 1st for anyone in the USA to stop such a display of opinion?

If it would be inherently legal in the USA, why should we be any less allowed to express our opinions?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A black baby with stupid hair ? Isn't that a golliwog ?
I, d credited you with rather more maturity KTM. All the worthwhile causes and you choose to help support an overgrown doll. It lasted 2 hours, I bet somebody made a fortune out of making the damn thing. Its quite pathetic.
And I bet it waisted a cart load of helium which could certainly have been put to better use. (medical profession want a ban a recreational use of helium but I bet that didn't stop idiots using it in the blimp)
Yes, they should have used hot air instead, after all that's more appropriate for Trump!:D

Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
"

Alarm and distress?
No make that 3, I think it’s offensive as well, I think Trump is on a different planet to the rest of us, but the blimp is plain rude and demeaning, and to allow it is an insult not only to Trump, but also the office of Mayor of our capital city.

Advertisers