May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Née Herr Saxe Coburg Gotha..
That's a long time back now though, the Queens grandfather who adopted the name Windsor.

He died the year I was born, 1936, some 85 years ago.

However the Sussex's proposition that the royal family is racist is made somewhat silly by:

The Saxe Coburg Gotha inheritance of the Queen.

Her marrying Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark.

Prince George of Kent marrying Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark.

The family approving Harry marrying American Meghan Markle.

Princess Beatrice marrying Count Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi of the Italian royal family.

Doesn't look very racist to me.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's a long time back now though, the Queens grandfather who adopted the name Windsor.

He died the year I was born, 1936, some 85 years ago.

However the Sussex's proposition that the royal family is racist is made somewhat silly by:

The Saxe Coburg Gotha inheritance of the Queen.

Her marrying Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark.

Prince George of Kent marrying Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark.

The family approving Harry marrying American Megham Markle.

Princess Beatrice marrying Count Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi of the Italian royal family.

Doesn't look very racist to me.

The way I see that is the Racist trope plays very well in the USA. Whatever their other faults, the British Royal Family have no need to be racist. It is only upwardly mobile wannabes who try and put down others as they climb the greasy pole. The British Royal Family are undoubtedly well and truly on the top of that pole, and basically look down at everyone who is not them. So if one accused them of Clannish ... I would go along with that.
We have a poem in Irish about the all encompassing envy of anyone just slightly above one on the tree..and arrogance of those lesser
O woman of Three Cows, agra! don't let your tongue thus rattle!
O, don't be saucy, don't be stiff, because you may have cattle.
I have seen—and, here's my hand to you, I only say what's true—
A many a one with twice your stock not half so proud as you.
Good luck to you, don't scorn the poor, and don't be their despiser,
For worldly wealth soon melts away, and cheats the very miser..

Well since the Royal family have the entire ranch...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the charge of racism needs to be looked into properly. It does not have to be publicly examined but we all need to know where the Family stands.
The fact remains: the family did not want to support Harry and Meghan's tussle with ANL (Mail on Sunday). I suspect that they are so scared of the tabloids in general that they'd rather suffer in silence, so they choose the easy option: do nothing.
If the Court case were about your son or daughter, or William & Kate, I would expect that the Family would have a word or two about the way they trashed/trash those two.
That there is a perceived difference between the two brothers is the point. You can say that because their destiny is different, I would agree.
That Meghan's family is, well, nothing like Kate's family, I would also agree.
But still, in my view, they should have supported and protected their children a lot better.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect that they are so scared of the tabloids in general that they'd rather suffer in silence, so they choose the easy option: do nothing.

But still, in my view, they should have supported and protected their children a lot better.
I think the origins go back a little further with embarrassment with Harry's behaviour as much as difficulties with the tabloid press. Prince Charles in particular scarcely hid his anger with Harry at times and that rather set the scene for everything that followed.

Harry's unorthodox choice of bride and his wanting to leave royalty are very much a culmination of a long process.

It's history repeating itself for the royal family, Princess Margaret the Queen's sister being Harry's parallel long ago. She proposed what was considered an unsuitable marriage and complied by not going through with it, eventually marrying another in what proved to be a tempestous marriage followed by divorce. Her often strange behaviour and mental state resulted in much press and public speculation and she was a source of embarrassment to the family later kept out of public duties and limelight up to her premature death at 71 years.

Reactions: mike killay

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It wasn't a German mouse, my friend was Welsh so presumably the mouse was too.
Was a German plane...

Anyhow to more essential stuff. Just put this on its wheels. First time for 5 years.
IMG_20210311_152638.jpg
My lockdown project. Was in 5 boxes 2 months ago.. Got seat, cables, chain to sort but not far off now.
Its a 1967 Cotton Trials 250.been in family since 1968.....Some of bolts are a nightmare. All sorts on it. UNC, BSF and a few metric, no doubt added during repairs.. Tank isn't original, old fibreglass tanks are more trouble than they are worth but planning on restoring it in future.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Was a German plane...

Anyhow to more essential stuff. Just put this on its wheels. First time for 5 years.
View attachment 41218
My lockdown project. Was in 5 boxes 2 months ago.. Got seat, cables, chain to sort but not far off now.
Its a 1967 Cotton Trials 250.been in family since 1968.....Some of bolts are a nightmare. All sorts on it. UNC, BSF and a few metric, no doubt added during repairs.. Tank isn't original, old fibreglass tanks are more trouble than they are worth but planning on restoring it in future.
Very nice, looking good and should turn some heads if you equip it for the road as well.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Very nice, looking good and should turn some heads if you equip it for the road as well.
Might do, but planning on just a few classic trials/pre 65.(it qualifies in some group or other, looked other day)
It is different... Got a few bits ordered for it. (chrome exhaust, polished alloy rear mudguard, and just in process of covering seat)
Was to get it together really. Never liked it just sat in boxes. Dad would have been un impressed. He, d say"its alright" now, which was high praise... Well as high as it got.
Amazing to think in mid 60's this was just about as good as trials bikes got. Moved on a lot...

Advertisers