Bridleway restrictions

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Rather than derail the thread on maps I thought I would ask this question here.
I know that on Restricted Byways you may not use a mechanically propelled vehicle which I assume means a motorised vehicle as a cycle is mechanically propelled but what are the restrictions regarding motorised vehicles, of which my electric bike is one, on bridleways?

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
A pedalec, i.e. pedal assisted bike, is classed as a bicycle so is allowed. Any of the other types of electric bikes are classed as mechanically propelled and are not allowed. I would include derestricted (dongaled) pedalecs in this because Bridleways are rights of way open to the public.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid and flecc

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Agree - and it was frustrating yesterday to explore a bridleway that had barbed-wired up and sometimes chained gates, albeit with newly constructed walker stiles next to them. It's easy enough to get a normal bike over one of those but tricky with a 30kg ebike. Another farmer had put 20 horses in a field with a note to say it was Ok to disconnect the electric fence (as it wasn't live), but beware of the horses !
Mike

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rather than derail the thread on maps I thought I would ask this question here.
I know that on Restricted Byways you may not use a mechanically propelled vehicle which I assume means a motorised vehicle as a cycle is mechanically propelled but what are the restrictions regarding motorised vehicles, of which my electric bike is one, on bridleways?
As above, there's no restriction on legal pedelecs which are exempted from being motor vehicles by exemption (h) of the Two and Three Wheeled Motor Vehicle Type Approval regulation 168/2013.

Usually UK laws on cycling specify Bicycles, Tricycles and Bicycles with four of more wheels. But the Countryside Act 1968 which spells out our permission to ride on bridleways only specified Bicycles, perhaps for space reasons.

However, since then following representations, Sustrans has gained permission for Tricycles as well, but quad bikes remain out on the roads.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
As above, there's no restriction on legal pedelecs which are exempted from being motor vehicles by exemption (h) of the Two and Three Wheeled Motor Vehicle Type Approval regulation 168/2013.

Usually UK laws on cycling specify Bicycles, Tricycles and Bicycles with four of more wheels. But the Countryside Act 1968 which spells out our permission to ride on bridleways only specified Bicycles, perhaps for space reasons.

However, since then following representations, Sustrans has gained permission for Tricycles as well, but quad bikes remain out on the roads.
Thank you and to WavyDavy for the information.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Agree - and it was frustrating yesterday to explore a bridleway that had barbed-wired up and sometimes chained gates, albeit with newly constructed walker stiles next to them.
Yes, that is illegal (*). Also makes it impossible for horses. You should complain to you local authority, though with all the other things they are worrying about at the moment you may not get much help from them.

Sadly I suspect many landowners may take advantage of the current situation to make illegal closures; and probably to their damdest to keep them closed when the situation (eventually) ends.

(*). p.s. It may be that the landowner had gone through the formal process to get the bridleway downgraded. The OS maps are often quite out of date. A lot of local authorities have the definitive map available online, that should be up to date. e.g. https://maps.hants.gov.uk/rightsofwaydefinitivemap/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc