Bristol eBike Fest

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I'll start a new thread, in a more positive vein than those complaining about car parking & the naff test track - Both of which, I'm sure can be rectified in time to make next year's event a scorcher :cool:

I'll post some of the video & photos I took & here's my favorite vid to be going on with...

MVI Apres Bikefest - YouTube

If the link works...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Very funny post. At first I thought you were dead serious.

Started with the bikes and I thought great I am going to see some nice new ebikes then I heard the drums and like you soon got pleasantly distracted.

Though aren't there laws against shooting those kind of videos (joke)

Jerry

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Very funny post. At first I thought you were dead serious.

Started with the bikes and I thought great I am going to see some nice new ebikes then I heard the drums and like you soon got pleasantly distracted.

Though aren't there laws against shooting those kind of videos (joke)

Jerry
No Jerry, not under the law act whilst being hypnotised :rolleyes:

MS

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, I for one was very sad to have missed it. The little I saw suggested that there were a lot of great things going on. It was just that I hadn't realised that there was far more than just an electric bike fest arranged, and asumed that the city would be practically empty on a Sunday.
I really should apologise for getting tangled with the marathon on the other side of the river!
Next year, I shall either take the car so that I can get in a multi storey car park, or camp outside the city and cycle in.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Both good options, Mike - Quite by chance, I parked in a multi 200 yards from the top of Park St. £5.00 all day &plenty of room at 10am.

I've never seen so many bikes in one area - both parked & being ridden - loads of families on bikes of every type imaginable.

It seems a pretty bike-friendly city.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Absolutely fantastic videos and pictures ......well done to get all that recorded......bit embarrassing hearing myself yelling though.......:eek:

Though I guess not as embarrassing as it will be for John having to relive that awful 'chain off' moment :(

Lynda :)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I agree, great pictures and videos. Unfortunately my video camera battery was flat so I didn't get any footage at all. Just on the off chance Peter, did you take any images of my bikes (the Kalkhoffs) that I could use on our facebook page?

I liked the Brompton that the original nano motor 'inventor' brought to the day.

Copper Brompton.jpg

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Sorry, Jonah, I was trying to concentrate on bikes that were new or novel to me. It was quite difficult to get shots from decent angles without someone getting in the way.

I'll check the rest of the videos though, as I thought I filmed your race.

My favorite bike was that Beach Cruiser just asking for one of John's kits.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Was that the brompton that absolutely FLEW up the hill in the races ?
I would love to see that again if anyone caught that on video....it was amazing :cool:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Here you go, Jonah:

Looked behind & changed gear - YouTube

I reckon your opponent made 2 errors after having got the jump on you at the start...

1: He looked back to see where you were

2: He tried changing gear halfway up

Mind you, he did a better job of it than me, even though Paul tried to make it look as if I was making a race of it :eek:: I clean forgot the Arriba has a throttle and my flagging muscles didn't make the most of the torque converter.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
That makes me even more determined to enter next year.
Hope they have a geriatric section.
Hope they make some arangements for campervan parking.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks for the video Peter.

I wonder if a steeper hill is required to really find the 'best' e-bike. The problem with Park St is that it's more down to the rider than the bike - and that doesn't do me any favours!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Was that the brompton that absolutely FLEW up the hill in the races ?
I would love to see that again if anyone caught that on video....it was amazing :cool:

This picture is of Tony Castle's 'Nano' conversion which is street legal and would not have flown up that hill.

But there are lots of Sparticle conversions that would fly up that hill.

billsy

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Well, here's 4 videos to, hopefully, set the scene...

An "Unlimited" race showing the power of some of these bikes
This guy's not even pedalling - YouTube

The "Unlimited" Final
"Unlimited" final - I think - YouTube

The moment Jon's chain came off :eek:(
Johns chain - YouTube

The manufacturers' Final
The final - YouTube
Thanks for uploading those vids. I'm the one in yellow (not pedalling ha ha). Big thanks to the organisers also. Great day. Although I couldn't be arsed entering the demo area. It needed to be more open like last year. Oh and I hope the chap that fell off at the start is feeling ok. I really wanted to see that bike go.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Billsy : Welcome to the forum.

Your bike went well - I think there's a clip of another of your races: If so I'll upload it.

I totally agree the demo area was too restrictive: Funnelling everyone past the poor soul trying to seperate riders from lookers just caused a bottleneck & made it feel exclusive IMHO.

It took me 10 minutes just to find the way in :eek:

Aparrently the original aim was to let people ogle the bikes & talk to the "experts" from t'other side of those barriers, then enter the demo area through Checkpoint Charlie if they wanted a ride.

Doomed from the start, but I understand the reason for trying to make it secure, as one bloke tried to make off with, I believe, one of the Neos.