Bristol Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I'd hate for you just to take my word for it, and I'd really suggest that you try one first. :)

Already in hand - I don't want to make another expensive mistake! If I do it'll be my last one.

Jim

D

Deleted member 4366

If this new oxygen bike can be derestricted to do 27 mhp it must be more than 270 rpm.and it still is the best climber then I guess it runs at a lot of amps? 30?
how is the climbing ability of the panasonic motor vs the neo dapu hubs?
I didn't get a chance to play with the speed settings so I can't vouch for the speed. We have to leave it as hearsay until verified. My guess is that the current is about 18 to 20 amps. It couldn't have been two high because it did five flat-out runs up Park Street and people were test-riding it all day. There was only one battery, which still had plenty of charge at the end of the day.

I just remembered that the motor had the markings 27.5 (10), so code 10, which is normally about 315 rpm. That makes it 25mph, but the tyres increased the rolling diameter a lot, then you add 10% for a fully charged battery, and so 27 mph sounds about right.

Last edited by a moderator:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Sounds like another "legal" addition to the growing stable which makes a mockery of the rules - it cant be helping the DfT in making their decision on the final outcome of what parts to adopt.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. It was started by BH, with a 'detuned' BPM, then everyone gets on the bandwagon, pushing up real power forever more.
This is mad. I can see a Court case coming soon.

I'm not bitter, because I'm aware the race was just a bit of fun, but I did personally ride up Park Street alongside the Oxygen and a Haibike and I can say with confidence that the Oxygen didn't cut out at 15.5mph, the Haibike and KTM both did. When riding up side by side its obvious when the rules are being bent.

Col

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not bitter, because I'm aware the race was just a bit of fun, but I did personally ride up Park Street alongside the Oxygen and a Haibike and I can say with confidence that the Oxygen didn't cut out at 15.5mph, the Haibike and KTM both did. When riding up side by side its obvious when the rules are being bent.

Col
Fun event or not, that is sadly very disappointing. :(

D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxygen definitely cut-off at 15.5 mph. The rider was told that they would scrutineer the winner, so he asked me to set it. After setting it, I checked it several times to make sure.

Because of it's higher winding speed, the motor makes really good torque right up to its cut-off speed, while as the torque from yours would probably have been reducing from a much lower speed. I think that if you had been drawn against the Oxygen in the first heat, you would have won because you were still pedalling fast at the top of the hill, but it looked like you were flagging at the top in the second one, which gave the Oxygen an advantage.

The Oxygen also had an advantage at the start because it has a throttle. In most races, it had an immediate 5 meter lead. The opponent then had to pedal really hard to catch up, but then they ran out of energy at the top. In a couple of heats, it was overtaken near the top, but then overtook back in the last couple of meters when the opponent was knackered.

Reactions: Trevor George
The Oxygen definitely cut-off at 15.5 mph. The rider was told that they would scrutineer the winner, so he asked me to set it. After setting it, I checked it several times to make sure.

Because of it's higher winding speed, the motor makes really good torque right up to its cut-off speed, while as the torque from yours would probably have been reducing from a much lower speed. I think that if you had been drawn against the Oxygen in the first heat, you would have won because you were still pedalling fast at the top of the hill, but it looked like you were flagging at the top in the second one, which gave the Oxygen an advantage.

The Oxygen also had an advantage at the start because it has a throttle. In most races, it had an immediate 5 meter lead. The opponent then had to pedal really hard to catch up, but then they ran out of energy at the top. In a couple of heats, it was overtaken near the top, but then overtook back in the last couple of meters when the opponent was knackered.
I'd be fine with all that, if I hadn't raced it up the hill, which I did. It got a bit of a start on me, but that was only because I set off in a silly high gear. All the way up we were then neck and next until we hit 16mph, I'm fit enough to sprint the whole way up that hill no problem at all. The Oxygen was 100% definitely still assisted between 15 and 19mph in the heat I raced against it. I didn't complain at the time, because I wasn't in the mood. But I'm afraid if you set it, someone changed it. I've been racing bikes for 25 years now, I know whats possible with and without assist and that bike was being assisted the whole way the hill, and we were doing over 16mph for a lot of it.

We won't be entering a bike next year, because if people are going to adjust their bikes to win, I'd have been better just using my standard road bike and I'd have won easily.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

Col
Oh come on Col, such speculations are absolutely outrageous. The bike has been independently checked for speed limit by members of this forum who rode the bike at the show and confirmed it was set at 15.5mph. The truth is that riding up the Park Street is all about the leg power and motor just helps at the start. The one with better acceleration will fly further up to 15mph and whatever is after that is the rider's power. The new Oxygen has the perfect match of the motor set up with the controller algorithm making the bike to really climb well.

all the best
Andrew

D

Deleted member 4366

The bike was definitely at 15.5 mph. As I said, they were expecting that the speed cut-off would be checked by the scrutineers at the end of the race. It's a shame they didn't because that would have put an end to this.

Oh come on Col, such speculations are absolutely outrageous. The bike has been independently checked for speed limit by members of this forum who rode the bike at the show and confirmed it was set at 15.5mph. The truth is that riding up the Park Street is all about the leg power and motor just helps at the start. The one with better acceleration will fly further up to 15mph and whatever is after that is the rider's power. The new Oxygen has the perfect match of the motor set up with the controller algorithm making the bike to really climb well.

all the best
Andrew
I know, and I know what its like to climb a hill like that with and without assistance. I promise you... whoever was riding that bike, had assistance over 15,5mph. If you are so confident, lets arrange something with Alistair and we'll go and have a rematch, and have both bikes checked before.

I didn't complain because its not worth the argument on the day. But if you the brand didn't know about it, I promise you the rider or someone did, because the bike I rode against was assisted above the limit. Its not a debatable point. I was riding next to him at the time. I'd not have mentioned it if I thought I was wrong.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I know, and I know what its like to climb a hill like that with and without assistance. I promise you... whoever was riding that bike, had assistance over 15,5mph. If you are so confident, lets arrange something with Alistair and we'll go and have a rematch, and have both bikes checked before.

I didn't complain because its not worth the argument on the day. But if you the brand didn't know about it, I promise you the rider or someone did, because the bike I rode against was assisted above the limit. Its not a debatable point. I was riding next to him at the time. I'd not have mentioned it if I thought I was wrong.
Col,
I have appreciated many of your posts on this forum, and your attempts to explain and 'stick' to the rules. You say you didn't complain at the time, as it was 'all a bit of fun'.
But now you make accusations after the fact that two contributors have refuted. Your post may not be intended as sour grapes, but if they're small, round, fruity and sour, then sour grapes they is!

Reactions: jackhandy

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Col,
I didn't complain because its not worth the argument on the day.
Dear Col, I understand your frustration that you then you should have complain on the day and this would have clear all doubts. All brands and the riders were told that final run bikes will be checked for speed. I do not think any brand or riders would take a risk of tweaking the bike knowing about this.

Now please stop making your untrue statements that are not supported by any sort of evidence, accept your your loss and get your bum ready for next years race.

As a brand we will not continue to get involved with this type of discussion. New Oxygen EMate MTB is a fantastic bike which we just launched at the Bristol show. After trials by several people, everybody confirmed how brilliantly it performs and that deserves the win in the race.

all the best

Andrew

Reactions: Trevor George

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Col,
I have appreciated many of your posts on this forum, and your attempts to explain and 'stick' to the rules. You say you didn't complain at the time, as it was 'all a bit of fun'.
But now you make accusations after the fact that two contributors have refuted. Your post may not be intended as sour grapes, but if they're small, round, fruity and sour, then sour grapes they is!
I think it's important to point out the true facts myself. If Col says the Oxygen was assisting to above 16 mph I believe him. So not only did the Oxygen have a high wattage motor, it also had a higher assist speed. Not worth spoiling the day as Col didn't on the day, but worth pointing out.

The ability to tweak the assist speed so easily is a bonus in my book, and no doubt a huge frustration to those selling bikes that don't allow such an adjustment.

Reactions: trex

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Damn that is a looooong hill, would love to try the Mosso up it
It's quite a handy one for me, as I can add into several different routes, and usually pop up it at least once a week. The odd thing is that as kids we used to cycle down it flat out with fishing rods attached to the bike. Do a bit of fishing at the bottom, then cycle back up, without really thinking about it. We were only riding single or three speed then, so it's interesting for me, how challenging it is now. I also have a very old black and white photo of my grandad riding down it no hands on the bars. :) The thing with the hill is, that it isn't a continuous slope, which is why I think that people find it hard. It steepens and levels off all of the way up. This was apparently done, to make it easy for cart horses to go up it, but it makes it harder to ride on a bike.

I try to hit the hill at roughly the ten mile mark into a ride, and it has proven to be very handy for working stats out when comparing bikes.

4.22 on the KTM
4.41 on the BH
5.02 on the Haibike.

It's also interesting about just how consistent that you can be with the times. Obviously not on the same day though. Once is enough for me. :D

I'd love to be given the chance to try it on the Oxygen (set at the legal limit) as I'm afraid that is the only way that I'd ever begin doubt Cols claims about it's performance.

To me, I'm also afraid that any and all credibility was lost, when I read that it has a throttle. If this is event is run again next year, then two separate classes should be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: rippedupno1