Bristol Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I think it's important to point out the true facts myself. If Col says the Oxygen was assisting to above 16 mph I believe him. So not only did the Oxygen have a high wattage motor, it also had a higher assist speed. Not worth spoiling the day as Col didn't on the day, but worth pointing out.
The Oxygen was set to 15.5mph. Please trust me and the guys from Oxygen. As Andrew pointed out, the embarrassment of being found to be cheating would have been too much to bear. They were told that the bike would be checked, so they wanted to be absolutely sure that it was within the rules, which is why they asked me to check it.

If it had been de-restricted, it would have won by a mile because it would have been producing about 500w of output power more than its compeditors. In a couple of races, it won by inches, and the biggest margin was a few feet.

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
D

Deleted member 4366

It would be harder to cheat with a throttle because the speed can be checked easily by lifting the wheel off the ground and spinning it up with the throttle, which is what I did. How can you check the speed of a torque sensor bike because you have to pedal at the same time? You'd need a rolling road and power meter of some sort, or rely on a scrutineer to judge from a test ride.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you get up to the top of Park Street then pedal gently downhill, listening to the motor's rumblings. When you pass 15.5MPH, you should feel the rumblings gone. Without a hill, you need a winter bike exerciser to create a bit of resistance.
This method should work with any bike.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The Oxygen was set to 15.5mph.

If it had been de-restricted, it would have won by a mile because it would have been producing about 500w of output power more than its compeditors. In a couple of races, it won by inches, and the biggest margin was a few feet.
A look at D8veh's statement it won by inches or a few feet.
All the bikes in the race were really good.
There is little to chose between them. Just looks, components, battery size and price. For £1600 it would be hard to get a rubbish bike and easy to get a stonker.
Which one would not have been a dream bike 5 years ago?

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
you get up to the top of Park Street then pedal gently downhill, listening to the motor's rumblings. When you pass 15.5MPH, you should feel the rumblings gone. Without a hill, you need a winter bike exerciser to create a bit of resistance.
This method should work with any bike.
Now there's an idea for next year. Race down the hill, get to the bottom (thus testing the brakes) and then turn and cycle back to the top.

Reactions: Trevor George
D

Deleted member 4366

I think Colin owes Oxygen an apology. I've just been looking at videos of the races. Colin didn't race against the amateur on the new Oxygen MTB. Instead he raced against the normal E-mate, which was ridden by a guy who had been training for six months to take part in the first leg of the Tour de France. This guy would have won the competition except that in the next heat he got his gears mixed up and started in sixth instead of first, so his opponent got a 10 meter advantage from the start riding a standard Momentum.

Some people are just bad losers.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think Colin owes Oxygen an apology. I've just been looking at videos of the races. Colin didn't race against the amateur on the new Oxygen MTB. Instead he raced against the normal E-mate, which was ridden by a guy who had been training for six months to take part in the first leg of the Tour de France. This guy would have won the competition except that in the next heat he got his gears mixed up and started in sixth instead of first, so his opponent got a 10 meter advantage from the start riding a standard Momentum.

Not knowing how the heats were run for the event, does the above statement mean that had I entered the BH as a casual non competitive rider, that I would have been racing a against a professional cycle racer?

I stand by the fact that I think the bike I raced against was assisted above the 15.5mph limit.

I have no idea which bike it was, I just know it was an Oxygen MTB that didn't loose assist when the KTM and Haibike did on the same hill in the same conditions. Its obvious when you're riding side by side, as soon as you get up to 16 - 18mph.

But yes I am a bad looser, because I'm highly competitive, everything in my life is a race. I've been racing bikes for 25 years now. Every week when I go out on the club rides, its always a race to the top, to the sign, to the bottom. Life is a race, so I know what even super fit riders can do, I ride with Elite level racers all the time, and we sponsor some of the best hill climbers in the UK.

I should have complained at the time, but as others were dressed in fancy dress and it was just a bit of a laugh it seemed against the spirit of things, and I honestly expected Alistair to come and find me later and tell me the Oxygen had been found to be un restricted and therefore had been pulled from the competition.

So I'll back off from this debate, but I'm afraid - no apology. I believe they cheated but I can't prove it.

Col.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not knowing how the heats were run for the event, does the above statement mean that had I entered the BH as a casual non competitive rider, that I would have been racing a against a professional cycle racer?
There were two races. One was for anybody with their own legal bike, and the other was for manufacturers/traders. There's nothing to stop your representing any of the bike brands you own, or you could even ask any of the brands at the show if you could ride one of their bikes.

The races are not meant to be taken too seriously, but that's not always the way it works out.