broken cable help

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ok Before I start I dont want any funny comments. But after 3 months of fixing my moped 1st day on the road today, it went about less than 1/4 of a mile. and speedo went down to 10 Km/h dam I thought what's wrong now. but when you push moped its like a brake binding as you push it, then it seemed to free itself then binding again. so now its all back to being looked at again. I feel so upset as got it all back together. now it has to be undone again to check back wheel, it was running fine on its stand, but soon as I tried it on the road this happens

Just cant believe this as its been running great on the stand

sorry to go on again about this, but it will be most appreciated if I can have some help

thank you all

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Not sure what you think is wrong, but are you suggesting the brakes are sticking on or is it the motor.
Im confused because you say 'Running great' on the stand. Kind of suggests you're referring to the motor
If you mean the brake, is it a piston caliper or a drum brake ?.

Drum brakes im not clued up on, but know enough to guess whats in there and what could cause them to come on but be reluctant to release. Piston calipers i've worked on many. Mostly the high end hope stuff, 2,4 and 6 piston designs.

Might be able to offer a little advice and get you out screaming around the town again.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Not sure what you think is wrong, but are you suggesting the brakes are sticking on or is it the motor.
Im confused because you say 'Running great' on the stand. Kind of suggests you're referring to the motor
If you mean the brake, is it a piston caliper or a drum brake ?.

Drum brakes im not clued up on, but know enough to guess whats in there and what could cause them to come on but be reluctant to release. Piston calipers i've worked on many. Mostly the high end hope stuff, 2,4 and 6 piston designs.

Might be able to offer a little advice and get you out screaming around the town again.

Hi AndyBike I take it you have followed my post here before.

But thanks anyway for your reply its most appreciated believe me. same with anyone's help here. also its drum brakes, and it wasn't those. But I've found the problem. its the cable coming out of motor at top of axle some of the wires are severed, I fitted a new cable myself to motor, and I even tried to fit a rubber grommet at end of axle to help wire, but obviously not good enough. I cant see why it would break like that. Its a good job the cable is very long as I did order a longer length. how can I make it better coming out of end of axle

Ive just opened motor and the wires what I soldered are fine. obviously I have cut them off now, as need to redo cable. But what's best method to protect the end of cable coming out of axle

Ok I have now fitted a grommet into hole. do you think this will be ok now, or do I need something else at top of hole

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Maybe that's been caused by the cumulative effect of the flakes of rust failing down off the chain onto the wire :p

Reactions: lightning

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Maybe that's been caused by the cumulative effect of the flakes of rust failing down off the chain onto the wire :p
Haha funny PMSL :D so can you suggest whats best to do from cable getting ripped again

Yes I know chain is bad, and it will be replaced too

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Do you have a torque arm on your hub? did you have the anti rotation washers fitted correctly? Looks like your motor is turning inside the axle causing the motor cable to twist.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Back to square one again, typically the wheel axle spinning out is the culprit.
The pic of the damage appears to back this up as they haven't been cut but pulled a part by a twisting nature.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Do you have a torque arm on your hub? did you have the anti rotation washers fitted correctly? Looks like your motor is turning inside the axle causing the motor cable to twist.

What's a torque arm, sorry I'm not all that good on hubs, what's anti rotation washers.

EDIT: sorry yes on the cable side is a anti rotation washer but not on other axle side

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Back to square one again, typically the wheel axle spinning out is the culprit.
The pic of the damage appears to back this up as they haven't been cut but pulled a part by a twisting nature.

so what's caused that then, as all I did was fit a new cable.

I know on other side of axle not cable side there is no anti rotation washer so is that whats caused it.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cable has had considerable force to tear it apart so it is highly likely the axle has tried to rotate in the drop out tearing the motor cable almost in two.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Measure the axle or the hole in the torque washer (tabbed washer) one suspects it is 14 x 10 mm. Try and put a torque arm on both sides or at least on the cable side.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The cable has had considerable force to tear it apart so it is highly likely the axle has tried to rotate in the drop out tearing the motor cable almost in two.

But on the cable side of dropout, there is a anti rotation washer. but Im afraid there isnt on the other side of axle. would that of caused it then

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Measure the axle or the hole in the torque washer (tabbed washer) one suspects it is 14 x 10 mm. Try and put a torque arm on both sides or at least on the cable side.

this is what was on cable side of axle and with nut too

But I can now see what joelectric sent I didn't have a washer on insides of dropout and anti rotation washers on both sides

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know all that can be said is as I mentioned in #12, it takes some force to tear a 9 wire cable apart almost in two.

Reactions: Ray Winder

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I don't know all that can be said is as I mentioned in #12, it takes some force to tear a 9 wire cable apart almost in two.
Well I know now when I have redone wheel to make sure I place a washer on insides of dropout, then antirotation one next on outside then the nuts

in #15 whats that washer on left called is that a torque one as I only have 1 of those

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The arrowed item is a torque arm as it is, all that needs doing is to put a bolt through the hole also arrowed in to the drop out so it can't rotate at all.

Attachments

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
All you can do is fit a torque arm (TA) on the axle and the drill a hole through the TA and bolt it through the arrowed hole and through the drop out arm as well, both sides if poss.

View attachment 45611

Yes as there are already a hole each side of both dropouts for that washer on the left but I only have one of those washers where can i get another, as I dont see any same on ebay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Was the bolt inserted ?
Make one up out steel or buy one from Erider.