Broken rim edge

westcoastsurfer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2020
Hi everyone, iam thinking of purchasing a batribike electric bike for £200 but the seller said she ran over a pot hole and the rim broke but she said it can be repaired /welded, it is the rear wheel we're the hub is on! Is this correct and is it still safe to ride as it is now? Any help will be appreciated, iam due to view Sunday afternoon
Thanks in advance

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that is a bin job it cant be fixed and id not ride it either, what you need is a new rim fitted to it prob about 50 quid in a lbs.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
From the photos, its looks like the braking surface of the rims are worn out from v brake. The other wheel could also be badly worn if this the case. Have replaced rims myself. To supply rim and possibly spokes and the tedious job of replacement, I would guess that you would be lucky to get job done for 100.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
From the photos, its looks like the braking surface of the rims are worn out from v brake. The other wheel could also be badly worn if this the case. Have replaced rims myself. To supply rims and possibly spokes and the tedious job of replacement, I would guess that you would be lucky to get job done for 100.

good point if it has that many miles on it then it is going to cost more to fix than it is worth in labor alone if you cant do it yourself.

and a new batt is going to cost more than £200 so it is worthless if a new batt is needed.

id not bother to even go look at it as lying to you, pot hole damage my ass lol ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Rims are not expensive, but if you want to use the spokes again, you'd have to find a eim with the same ERD. you should be able to get a cheap rim and spokes for about £35, then you'd have to build the wheel, which would be another £30 if you got a shop to do it.

As ever, you guys never show the full picture. if you had showed the whole wheel, there might be other options. You don't show the size of the wheel nor whether it has a motor in it, nor did you say which model Battribike it is.

Reactions: westcoastsurfer

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is terminal and unsafe to ride in that condition. When the rim goes like that, it is because the brake wear is through B/W line. Once the rim is worn too thin it breaks up or the tyre pressure blows the rim.
It will need a new rim and spokes tbh .

Last edited:
Reactions: westcoastsurfer

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Rims are not expensive, but if you want to use the spokes again, you'd have to find a eim with the same ERD. you should be able to get a cheap rim and spokes for about £35, then you'd have to build the wheel, which would be another £30 if you got a shop to do it.

As ever, you guys never show the full picture. if you had showed the whole wheel, there might be other options. You don't show the size of the wheel nor whether it has a motor in it, nor did you say which model Battribike it is.
Hi, thanks for the reply, these are the photos that the seller as sent to me, I haven't seen the bike yet myself, I asked her for photos of the damaged wheel and those 2 are what she sent, this is why I need advice. But after all the helpful replies I have received I don't think I will bother to even go view it. Thanks again

Reactions: PC2017

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
It is terminal and unsafe to ride in that condition. When the rim goes like that, it is because the brake wear is through B/W line. Once the rim is worn to thin it breaks up or the tyre pressure blows the rim.
It will need a new rim and spokes tbh .
Thank you for your reply and a big thanks for your advice, I don't think I will bother even viewing it after all the advice I've been given, I will message her and let her know. Thanks again for being helpful

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
Absolutely not. Do you still have your other bikes?
Thank you, if you mean the Peugeot spt, yes, after all the advice given I went to view and it was a real good one, great battery too and pretty fast. This forum is very helpful

Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a bike diyer who can build wheels ( a few of us on here can), it would be a pretty cheap buy at less then the £200, as has been mentioned if one rim has gone the other may not be far behind so a £200 repair bill.

westcoastsurfer

Aug 3, 2020
good point if it has that many miles on it then it is going to cost more to fix than it is worth in labor alone if you cant do it yourself.

and a new batt is going to cost more than £200 so it is worthless if a new batt is needed.

id not bother to even go look at it as lying to you, pot hole damage my ass lol ;)
Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I have decided to not go and view at all now so iam about to let the person know. I will give it a miss, the bike would have been for the Mrs so I will look for another one now - thanks a for your reply

Reactions: D C

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, thanks for the reply, these are the photos that the seller as sent to me, I haven't seen the bike yet myself, I asked her for photos of the damaged wheel and those 2 are what she sent, this is why I need advice. But after all the helpful replies I have received I don't think I will bother to even go view it. Thanks again
It could still be a good buy if it's not the motor wheel that's damaged. You can buy complete bikes for £25, and swap the wheel if it's the non-motor wheel or buy a used wheel from ebay. Wheels are pretty much standard and fit any bike.