Brompton electric

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
Hi all,

I just registered here a couple of days ago. So let me introduce myself. I am a Canadian living in Hong Kong and have been riding a Brompton for the last year. It is hilly in the area where I live and I had been toying with the idea of an electric-assist kit for some time. I finally ordered a kit from Freedom Ebikes in Israel last week and it arrived two days ago. I chose this route for my first mod rather than cobble together parts from multiple vendors.

I hope to be able to contribute my experiences as I put the kit together and also draw from the vast pool of knowledge here.

Richard

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hello! The Tongxin hub motor that comes with the Freedom eBikes kit is a good match for the Brompton (light, quiet). The A123 battery pack is very robust, and fine for short distances. You'll enjoy it!! :)
Cheers, Dan

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
Hi Daniel,

I noticed that you mentioned a Bafang SWXK motor on your Brompton. Is that much wider than the Tongxin? Lots of fork spreading, if so.

But I like how the Bafang motor wiring comes out the side of the motor rather than through the motor axle as in the Tongxin.

I have just completed the Freedom eBikes kit installation. It works well enough. But it is a 'minimal-features' kit with none of the safety cutouts (e.g. brake levers). I will post a write-up of the two-day installation process soon.

Richard

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Yes, the Bafang ("8-Fun") hub motor is wider, heavier, noisier...but of course much more powerful and reliable under stress. You are correct, the cable comes out on the flange side rather than through the axle, which is neater.

In my opinion, brake cutters are important (and a legal requirement, I believe) even on a low-power application. I use a discrete thumb controller to override the pedal sensor when needed (e.g. cold start from traffic lights / junction), and I also have the 3-way switch that regulates peak power output (useful to keep the speed down in crowded situations, etc.).

FYI, my old build log:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4682-diy-stage-1-received-bafang-tongxin-kits-photos.html

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
Thanks, Daniel. That was a great writeup!

I just posted my installation experience in the appropriate forum.

Richard