Brompton electrification

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes, I connected it to a push button.

I just tested it outside. It does slow the bike down, but really really slowly. It's maybe regen but it's doesn't really brake the bike.

I think I'm going to give up all of this and just wait for Lyen to repair the controller.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
By the way, I added the speedometer to my bike.

I'm running around 25 mph. Quite scary actually. I wouldn't want to go faster. Most of the time I don't reach that speed because it's too dangerous and I won't have enough time to brake.

I think the comfortable speed on the brompton for me would be around 20-25mph.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ha brilliant. This was kind of what we all told you to a certain degree when you set out to create a mega quick mini bike capable of 30mph.

It's scarey on full sized bikes with much better brakes. Let alone the smaller wheels and brakes.
Glad you've kind of got there on your own terms. Nothing better than your own experience.

Happy riding.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
yeah, but my philosophy was to plan for more and being able to slow down if it's too fast. It's better than to plan for something slower and having to change the whole setup if it's not enough.

Now I know better what I need:
- 20-25mph max speed.
- MEGA TORQUE!

This little direct drive is screaming like crazy when I put too much amps on it. I may get the mac motor to fill this gap :)

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
Dear Cwah
I have followed your thread from the start.
How do you get the time to post all the pictures and tell us the story of your build.
I have lost track of all the bits and pieces you have used.
Maybe you should post a picture of the bike and all the other kit you have used.

Well done for all your efforts.
Just ride safely
all the best
paul

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
The mac @40amps in a 16inch wheel will constantly wheelie. even if you put 12v into it...

Still you'll get all the torque to go up a cliff with a geared motor and 16inch wheels. But your speed will take a hit due to the rpm.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Paul, here is a picture of the bike:

I really love this bike. So nice to ride, good acceleration, faster than I need, I can bring it to groceries, restaurant and public transport. One of the best I ever have. :)
Would just like it to be lighter, better torque and not afraid of being stolen :)

Scottyf, I'm looking for acceleration more than climbing anything. I like to start first and leave everyone behind me after a red light.
I probably won't use it at 40 amps, but probably just high enough to prevent wheelies :)

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Looking good cwah have you repainted it, I think you have done so well with limited resources and equipment. John

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks John, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without all the members help :)

I didn't repaint the bike, but I purchased some new parts (rack and tyre) and with the motor it looks cleaner than initially where it looks much older

C

Cyclezee

Just noticed this thread has an illegal tab
? What does that indicate?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Just noticed this thread has an illegal tab
? What does that indicate?

Well spotted batman ........probably means all posters will shortly end up together in a pedelecs cell :D

Lynda :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Don't know what is that tab. I think it's some sort of tagging on the thread. Not sure from whom it is.

I'm now thinking about locking my bike outside, here is my plan:
- Lock the frame with the strongest U-lock on the market:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock | Evans Cycles

- Lock the wheels with a cable lock:

Evans Cycles | Abus 1360 Tresor Combination Cable Lock | Online Bike Shop

- Secure the stealthy battery bag with a steel cover:

PacSafe 85 Secure Backpack & Bag Protector: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

Hopefully it should be safe enough on the street for few hours/half a day :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
cwah, what was that model bigger folder you were going to convert at first, before getting the Brompton?

Security looks pretty sensible to me...Only so much you can do

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The first one was the Pacific If Reach:

Is it this one you're looking for?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes that's it...any good? And what size wheels plse

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Quite a good bike to ride. But I'm not among the one that like to ride without motor lol.

For now I'm more seduced by the brompton ability to fold so small with a steel frame allowing me to bend the dropout to the width I need. The pacific if reach has 120mm dropout with aluminium frame. So it's more dangerous to convert or bend.

I'll try to ride a bit more the brompton to see if I need a larger full suspension bike or not. Depending on how the brompton perform, I may either keep the pacific If reach or sell it.

ps: it's a 20" wheel size.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sure the brompton will be fine for city riding, its what they are designed for

Still in two minds regards kit on 20inch wheel bike or ready built bike like Wisper Alpino.....Waiting to see what new Ezee folder is like, just hope its not a budget job.....

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Wurly, I believe there is a reason some chains are more expensive than other. It uses hardened steel and are built in a way that would make it hard to find leverage to break them.

This chain steel isn't hardened, and chains are usually easier to break than U-lock. And it hasn't been tested against tools (rating: bronze, silver, gold...)

I think it's better to invest in a better lock rather than a cheap one that only look hard and may be broken with a simple bolt cutter.

ps: the one from Kryptonite (Fahgettaboudit) is almost impossible to break via bolt cutter and need something more powerful such as an angle grinder. And even with the angle grinder it will kill at least 1 disc and need 3 mn to cut.

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I received my MPX connectors.

They are really small. I don't know how they can be rated 35A continuous (60A peak)

They are however excellent to merge my phase wires and batteries wire into 1 plug. Here is my soldering:

All the wires are very very closes. I'm afraid of spark and I'm not sure it's safe to use them like this.