Brompton forks

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
I’m also a bit inexperienced in the thread posting...apologies!
Hi all!....wondering if anybody knows what were the dates that Brompton changed there front fork specifications and what exactly were they esp regards Steerer tube,offset, fork blade length or anything else I know they went from 1” to 11/8” early on but at what date and whether there where any other changes of any consequence. My Brompton is an early one from 2005 with a stretched to 100mm fork for the Nano motor.... need to narrow it down now to possibly install a SWYTCH kit of 75 mm across drop outs. Presume it’s best to go with another set of original sized forks?Looking to buy them used if possible. Any help appreciated. Thanks T

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Take the old motor out and bolt in the new one. The axle nuts will bring them back to the right size. Mild steel doesn't suffer from metal fatigue, so the bending won't do any harm.

Torque

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2016
Hi all....Just like to say thanks for the help from VFR 400 for the advise regards manipulating the Brompton forks and that they should be ok, reassuring to get that knowledge from him and also Kristin who advised me to contact Brompton as they’re very helpful, so I did via their Zendesk and they did tell me the 1997 forks mk2 Brommie would fit a 2002 mk3 Brommie...maybe a very small change to the rake that wouldn’t effect handling a great deal but length of blade and head tube diameter 11/8 in ...the same. So I bought a used one for £17, apparently now if you buy new forks from Brompton dealers they have to fit them. Cheers again for the help!!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all....Just like to say thanks for the help from VFR 400 for the advise regards manipulating the Brompton forks and that they should be ok, reassuring to get that knowledge from him and also Kristin who advised me to contact Brompton as they’re very helpful, so I did via their Zendesk and they did tell me the 1997 forks mk2 Brommie would fit a 2002 mk3 Brommie...maybe a very small change to the rake that wouldn’t effect handling a great deal but length of blade and head tube diameter 11/8 in ...the same. So I bought a used one for £17, apparently now if you buy new forks from Brompton dealers they have to fit them. Cheers again for the help!!
Ahh, you're very welcome! Thanks for coming back and letting us know. All too often advice is give and the OP vanishes into the Internet ether without a nice closure.

Enjoy your bike :)