budget lights

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
could anyone advise me on a good set of front and rear lights only want to spend about £20/£25.most of my night riding will be off road on a cycle way so no street lights, any help will do as i know nowt about what im looking for(ie.led,halogen, or bulbs) thanks:confused:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Probably over your budget but i would recommend.

For the rear
Smart Lunar R 1/2 Watt Rear Light (Batt.Inc.): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

For the front, a P7 SSC, You won't find a brighter light with a flood area for the money.
DealExtreme: $32.17 Aurora AK-P7-4 HA-III SSC P7-C 2-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)
You will need batteries and a charger.
DealExtreme: $8.01 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
DealExtreme: $7.52 Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger
And a handlebar mount
DealExtreme: $1.80 Universal Bicycle Mount

It will set you back £34 approx in total for the front light(free delivery to the UK, allow plenty of time, you won't regret it)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Lights to see by are much more expensive than lights to be seen by. If the path is pitch black then you can get away with dimmer lights than if distant lights spoil your night vision.
Batteries can add a lot to the cost so you need to work out the runtime required, I saved money by getting a light that takes AAs. I'd look for a P7 Lenser based torch that takes AA, AAA or CR123 cells.
I've got a Cree Q5 LED which is adequate but I'd go for something brighter next time, the P7 may have been superceded now as development is fast in this market.

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
The 900 Lumin Light

I have two of these 900 lumen lights. I travel cross country at night and at £50 they are very very good value. No batteries to pay. Beets the socks off more expensive led dynamo lights.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Seconded, worth the extra outlay, although I still use a cheap 5 LED light as backup...