Bumping up and down kerbs

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Riding around, I see most (possibly ALL) other cyclists riding off kerbs, bumping up onto kerbs, and I wince each time. Even though it makes me look like a loony (well...) I always dismount, lift the bike on or off the pavement, remount, and ride on, unless it really is just an inch or two high.

(Why pavements? Well, at the end of footpaths, etc., there's rarely a drop kerb, more usually it just crosses a pavement and drops onto a roadway).

I wondered what other ebikes do.

A.

C

Cyclezee

Pretty much like yourself Allen, if a kerb is more than an inch high I would dismount to ascend it, but when descending I would dismount only if the drop is more than 2 inches.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do "bunny hop" the non-motor front wheel on the odd occasions that I need to cross one, and when going onto a pavement, sometimes use the front brake to side hop the motorised rear wheel across the kerbstone. Can't let these BMX riding teenagers have all the fun! :)

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
I normally don't care much about kerbs and just carry on with the usual speed, lift the front wheel up, while front is on the pavement I move the whole weight to the front so the impact on the rear is reduced. Gotta be careful with that and always make sure rear wheel is at 60-65psi otherwise it's easy to get a snake bite. Maybe not very gentle with the wheel, spokes, rims and the frame by doing it this way but it's a good trial for the components.

all the best

Andrew

C

Cyclezee

I do "bunny hop" the non-motor front wheel on the odd occasions that I need to cross one, and when going onto a pavement, sometimes use the front brake to side hop the motorised rear wheel across the kerbstone. Can't let these BMX riding teenagers have all the fun! :)
OK Flecc, we are all waiting for the video on YouTube:p

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
How much damage does it do the bike?

Are these kerb-hoppers forever replacing rims, repairing punctures, and worse?

A

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK Flecc, we are all waiting for the video on YouTube:p
I knew as I typed that you could not resist a comment John! :D

There's nothing dramatic about these hops, kerb taken at a shallow angle near to parallel, just a throttle flick and bar lift to hop the front wheel on, followed by a front brake jab to lift the back wheel for a slight side swing. None of the 180 degree or more spins about the headstock of the BMX brigade. :eek:

I did do some hairy motorbike stunt riding in my late teens and early twenties, but no way would I take those extreme risks now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How much damage does it do the bike?

Are these kerb-hoppers forever replacing rims, repairing punctures, and worse?

A
None at all. I was initially worried about my Q-bike rear wheel with motor since it's an extreme side dished build and carries most of the load, but it's proved completely robust with no broken spokes.

Here's that wheel shown below, and it doesn't have the usual e-bike 13 gauge extra strong spokes either, just British made 14 gauge stainless steel. As ever, it's the build quality that counts:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I used to be scared of jumping off kerbs, but one day I pulled onto the pavement to speak to my mate, then I rode off the end of the pavement without realising. Now as long as it isn't over 4 inches high I'll do it, more scared of what it will do to the insides of my battery to be honest.

I jump up them when I need to park my bike, some days quicker than others, but it is certainly easier to get my bike up kerbs when sitting on it than standing up and pushing it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now as long as it isn't over 4 inches high I'll do it, more scared of what it will do to the insides of my battery to be honest.
True, as this shattered eZee Torq battery platform shows. It was a "chocolate block" traffic calming ramp that did this:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I tend to jump of kerb's doesn't seem to do anything and motor skill works. I tend to keep it to a min as all my riding is on the road. Can only be as bad as hitting some pot holes. I have put foam on the underside of the battery on the pack though to help absorb bumps.

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
I knew as I typed that you could not resist a comment John! :D

There's nothing dramatic about these hops, kerb taken at a shallow angle near to parallel, just a throttle flick and bar lift to hop the front wheel on, followed by a front brake jab to lift the back wheel for a slight side swing. None of the 180 degree or more spins about the headstock of the BMX brigade. :eek:

I did do some hairy motorbike stunt riding in my late teens and early twenties, but no way would I take those extreme risks now.
I tried that once and ended up skidding along the pavement - OUCH:( . As well as my pride being hurt I wrenched my shoulder. Perhaps I need some BMX lessons :eek:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I treat my E-motion as a normal bicycle - you can easily jump the front wheel onto a curb on the rare occasions it is needed, then take the weight off the rear. The Cytronex was a different matter of course - treated with kid gloves. I would probably be kinder to any front motored bike though. I have a great many pinched tyres and dimpled rims as a kid - usually as I had forgotten to pump up the tyres enough - I learnt my lesson eventually.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I tried that once and ended up skidding along the pavement - OUCH:( . As well as my pride being hurt I wrenched my shoulder. Perhaps I need some BMX lessons :eek:
Trying it on the flat on a smooth quiet road first is best. Just do the smallest of front hops and rear wheel side hops to begin with, then gradually build up. When you've got them predictable on the flat, try over a low kerb and build up from there.

Trying to do small wheelies and stoppies also helps with learning control of the bike ends when off the ground.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Loved stoppie's i prefered doing them on my old xr600 than wheelies. There's an actuator on the front brake now to stop it but you can still do it if you try!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
None at all. I was initially worried about my Q-bike rear wheel with motor since it's an extreme side dished build and carries most of the load, but it's proved completely robust with no broken spokes.

Interesting flecc. I have been building a few more wheels recently but have not had to build one offset on one side like that yet.

When you do, do the spokes on one side have to be slightly longer ?

Regards

Jerry

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I can easily bump kerbs on my Opti its got 4" of travel and It mostly depends on your bike if its got no suspension and a heavy hub motor forget it or it will break on you after a few weeks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can easily bump kerbs on my Opti its got 4" of travel and It mostly depends on your bike if its got no suspension and a heavy hub motor forget it or it will break on you after a few weeks
The hub motor wheel I showed above is in a rigid bike and it gets high loadings, jumps and very heavy towing, but at four years old it's never even lost a spoke. A properly built wheel is immensely strong, as Danny McCaskill's huge jumps show. Few wheels these days are properly built though, either machine built or built by semi-skilled builders. Uneven tensions are the norm these days, and that always spells possible trouble.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Im confused now lol does this depend on the type of ebike you have?

I was under the impression that if you have a mountain bike style then that its suitable for off road (to a limit ie no deep water for obvious reasons) which would mean lots of bumps and uneven surfaces which would mean curbs aint or shouldn't be an issue. Im up and down curbs on my none ebike every time i go out on it and sometimes i even try to get some air lol.

If i was to have a classic or urban style bike i would be less inclined to hop up curbs etc