Buzzbike - Fubar fork

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Boolocks

Discovered a problem as to why the wheel wouldn't go into the fork. Did the usual measurements and found the internal of the fork dropouts is 88mm, with the wheel hub the standard 100mm, so though the forks were a bit on the narrow side and maybe just forcing them apart til the wheel drops in would be ok.
But after taking the wheel off and turning the bike upside down and just looking at the dropout area, it looks like theres a twist in it. Laying a bit of threaded rod across the dropouts confirms this, and one leg is well forward of the other, so even spreading them isnt going to sort the problem.

I'd prefer to keep the bike, it was a very good deal, but I dont think CRC will agree to replace the fork, in fact I doubt they can, as these are complete units they've bought in and wont have spares, so they'll more than likely want the entire bike returned for a complete refund.

Returning it would be a complete pain in the bum, and again id rather hang onto it, as i can swop out the fork for another as thats the only problem. Probably be a cheap steel fork, but at least it would make the bike operational.

Might have to return it and tbh thats probably the best idea, but bit of a quandary- Great price/Do need a cheaper runabout/Simple fix really/Difficult to return( as I've no car to drop it off at return center).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Might have to return it and tbh thats probably the best idea, but bit of a quandary- Great price/Do need a cheaper runabout/Simple fix really/Difficult to return( as I've no car to drop it off at return center).
Use a taxi? Most taxi companies have the option of a large taxi.

Alternatively, buy a cheap Homcom trailer and drop it off with that? Then you can return the Homcom, dropping it off to the return center by taxi...

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I'd take some photos and email CRC asking for some part refund. It's in their interests to do so as it'll cost them to have the bike returned and then they'll have to get the bike returned to the supplier etc. If they agree you can get yourself a cheap fork replacement ( for example something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/splumzer-Aluminum-Threadless-Straight-Superlight/dp/B0B2D642BN/ref=zg_m_bs_g_458362031_m_sccl_15/259-6409903-9797362?psc=1 )
I'd suggest a £100 refund to them and haggle from there

Last edited:

unknown quantity

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2024
Boolocks

Discovered a problem as to why the wheel wouldn't go into the fork. Did the usual measurements and found the internal of the fork dropouts is 88mm, with the wheel hub the standard 100mm, so though the forks were a bit on the narrow side and maybe just forcing them apart til the wheel drops in would be ok.
But after taking the wheel off and turning the bike upside down and just looking at the dropout area, it looks like theres a twist in it. Laying a bit of threaded rod across the dropouts confirms this, and one leg is well forward of the other, so even spreading them isnt going to sort the problem.

I'd prefer to keep the bike, it was a very good deal, but I dont think CRC will agree to replace the fork, in fact I doubt they can, as these are complete units they've bought in and wont have spares, so they'll more than likely want the entire bike returned for a complete refund.

Returning it would be a complete pain in the bum, and again id rather hang onto it, as i can swop out the fork for another as thats the only problem. Probably be a cheap steel fork, but at least it would make the bike operational.

Sorry to hear this, Andy. Hope you get it sorted out.

Egroover's suggestion sounds like a sensible approach.

I'm not sure that chainreactioncycles customer service is up to much though, so you need to try and encourage them to reach a resolution that suits you rather than what suits them..

Best of luck.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The update on this is I got a different fork. A kona P2 disc only, suitable for 700c.

Excellent you would think :)

Only I have now discovered the original fork is a straight 1 1/8" steerer, except the crown race which is 1 1/4", so a standard crown race that would fit the new fork at 30mm is too loose as the fubar fork crown race inner diameter is 32.5mm

I have no idea why in gods name they would spec a fork that has an oversized crownrace. Its not a tapering steerer, the damn thing is straight, only the bit where the crown race sits is the bigger size. What a complete shitshow. Who designs these things to spec something you are going to struggle to find if it needs replaced ?

So I basically need to find a crown race that fits a 1 1/4" lower headset bearing, but has an inside diameter of 30mm to fit a standard 1 1/8" fork. I dont even know if they make such a thing.

It might be that I have to replace the entire headset, fit a reducer on the bottom to take it to 1 1/8", then fit a new headset to fit that, then the new fork.

This thing has been designed by someone who probably has only seen bikes in pictures.
1 /18 straight, or 1.5-1 /18 tapered or even 1.5 straight would have done the job, but 1 1/8" straight, with 1 1/4" oversized crown race mount is the work of an imbecile.

And I suppose while im on this rant. Who the FK came up with the internal hose/housing routing that goes in and out of simple drilled holes without so much as even a grommet ??.
Trying to route a new hose or cable housing is going to be so difficult if you ever need to change anything, it would be better just to leave the old ones in there and surface mount any new ones, which will save you a migraine of a headache.

Whoever designed this abomination, along with his/her supervisor who signed off on it, needs a good shoeing

With steelies and segs

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The update on this is I got a different fork. A kona P2 disc only, suitable for 700c.

Excellent you would think :)

Only I have now discovered the original fork is a straight 1 1/8" steerer, except the crown race which is 1 1/4", so a standard crown race that would fit the new fork at 30mm is too loose as the fubar fork crown race inner diameter is 32.5mm

I have no idea why in gods name they would spec a fork that has an oversized crownrace. Its not a tapering steerer, the damn thing is straight, only the bit where the crown race sits is the bigger size. What a complete shitshow. Who designs these things to spec something you are going to struggle to find if it needs replaced ?

So I basically need to find a crown race that fits a 1 1/4" lower headset bearing, but has an inside diameter of 30mm to fit a standard 1 1/8" fork. I dont even know if they make such a thing.

It might be that I have to replace the entire headset, fit a reducer on the bottom to take it to 1 1/8", then fit a new headset to fit that, then the new fork.

This thing has been designed by someone who probably has only seen bikes in pictures.
1 /18 straight, or 1.5-1 /18 tapered or even 1.5 straight would have done the job, but 1 1/8" straight, with 1 1/4" oversized crown race mount is the work of an imbecile.

And I suppose while im on this rant. Who the FK came up with the internal hose/housing routing that goes in and out of simple drilled holes without so much as even a grommet ??.
Trying to route a new hose or cable housing is going to be so difficult if you ever need to change anything, it would be better just to leave the old ones in there and surface mount any new ones, which will save you a migraine of a headache.

Whoever designed this abomination, along with his/her supervisor who signed off on it, needs a good shoeing

With steelies and segs
Is the fubar fork something like this where it spreads out a bit at the bottom

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Is the fubar fork something like this where it spreads out a bit at the bottom
No it just loks like a standard fork.

Right, you know at the bottom of the steerer its a little bit thicker, and the crown race hammers on there. Well this is like that but instead of it being 30mm, its 32.5mm

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020