Cadence Sensor Continuing to Power

Ricky 88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2018
South east
I've recently bought a whisper wayfarer H9 and I took it for ride and noticed that the bike would continue to provide power even after stopping pedaling. Sometimes it would be for a split second and sometimes it would be for a good few seconds

I noticed this was really quite dangerous on roads approaching junctions because you would pedal to move forward and the bike would continue to accelerate into the junction

I took it back to Wisper and they've informed me this is safe and perfectly normal. I'm just trying to understand if this is expected from a cadence sensor.

When I dropped it off, the guys test rode it and agreed with me, but now they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. I'm yet to pick it up and test it again

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I've recently bought a whisper wayfarer H9 and I took it for ride and noticed that the bike would continue to provide power even after stopping pedaling. Sometimes it would be for a split second and sometimes it would be for a good few seconds

I noticed this was really quite dangerous on roads approaching junctions because you would pedal to move forward and the bike would continue to accelerate into the junction

I took it back to Wisper and they've informed me this is safe and perfectly normal. I'm just trying to understand if this is expected from a cadence sensor.

When I dropped it off, the guys test rode it and agreed with me, but now they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. I'm yet to pick it up and test it again
'A good few seconds' of running on does not sound right, so first of all, are you sure it is that long? You could experiment in a safe place, not near a junction, to get a good accurate measure of how long it goes on for.

Second, it will probably make a difference which gear you are in. The higher the gear, the slower your pedals, and the longer the time between pulses going from the cadence sensor to the controller, and so the longer it will take for the controller to realise you stopped pedalling. If you are using the gears normally, and approaching junctions in a low gear, it will be different than if you stay in a high gear all the time, as some riders do.

If you can't get to the point of it feeling safe, then see if you can get brake cutouts fitted. They will cut the motor when you apply the brakes regardless of what the cadence sensor is doing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have brake sensors then they should prevent power and accidental run on, however some controllers can vary with run on.
The KT controllers I use are good and have no over run nor do I have brake sensors fitted.

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east
'A good few seconds' of running on does not sound right, so first of all, are you sure it is that long? You could experiment in a safe place, not near a junction, to get a good accurate measure of how long it goes on for.

Second, it will probably make a difference which gear you are in. The higher the gear, the slower your pedals, and the longer the time between pulses going from the cadence sensor to the controller, and so the longer it will take for the controller to realise you stopped pedalling. If you are using the gears normally, and approaching junctions in a low gear, it will be different than if you stay in a high gear all the time, as some riders do.

If you can't get to the point of it feeling safe, then see if you can get brake cutouts fitted. They will cut the motor when you apply the brakes regardless of what the cadence sensor is doing.
Yes it's definitely that long. I took it on a 5 mile ride to make sure there was something wrong before taking it back. The time frame can vary massively and is hard to make it occur in any sort of pattern

This was mostly in a higher gear and with the highest assistance level. Hopefully when I pick the bike back up, the issue will be much less. It's certainly didn't feel normal to me

If you have brake sensors then they should prevent power and accidental run on, however some controllers can vary with run on.
The KT controllers I use are good and have no over run nor do I have brake sensors fitted.
Sadly it doesn't have brake cut outs, but if it continues like this, then perhaps I'll need to look at fitting them

Although it's not something I would expect to have to do to a brand new bike to make it feel safe

I'll go and pick it up and with a bit of luck it will be resolved and this thread will not be needed ☺

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Do the brake cutouts kill the motor correctly?
If not, that company needs to fix that bike pronto!
If they do not fix it correctly for you, post their name and address here on Pedelec to warn other "buyers!"
regards
Andy

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hopefully it will be resolved. Good luck!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

A good few seconds is not right Ricky. Please let me look into this today before you collect the bike.

All the best, David
Do the brake cutouts kill the motor correctly?
If not, that company needs to fix that bike pronto!
If they do not fix it correctly for you, post their name and address here on Pedelec to warn other "buyers!"
regards
Andy
Brake cut outs have not been necessary for about eight years, since the number of magnets reacting with the sensor increased much above 6 Andy. The bike should cut out within about 1m of stopping pedalling. If it’s longer we will fix it.

All the best, David

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A good few seconds is not right Ricky. Please let me look into this today before you collect the bike.

All the best, David

Brake cut outs have not been necessary for about eight years, since the number of magnets reacting with the sensor increased much above 6 Andy. The bike should cut out within about 1m of stopping pedalling. If it’s longer we will fix it.

All the best, David
You may be correct, but that is only true if the bike is working fully correctly, and its apparently not working as it should...... Nuff said!
Andy

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east

All the best, David

All the best, David
Hi David, thanks for your message. Please let me know how you get on. I was planning to pick the bike up on Friday, but of course I'm happy to wait longer it's needed.

The bike was definitely not cutting out within 1m

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Ricky, I personally took your bike out today for a 4-5 mile run up and down the north downs. I pedalled then stopped pedalling at least 50 times during the run, on turbo, stopping the rotation of the pedals in 6/12 and 3/9 alternately. Every time without exception the bike cut out as expected, in a fraction of a second. (Within the beat from the BeeGees Stayin’ Alive!) When you come and pick the bike up let’s go out for a ride together so you can try and recreate the issue.

I also checked the brakes and the bike’s ability to stop quickly and safely whilst pedalling in turbo. The brakes stopped the bike quickly and effectively whether the power is off or on. My 18 stone plus the bike was easily stopped with the power full on.

I look forward to testing the bike with you Ricky, if we can identify an issue together we will rectify it for you.

Due to the launch of the Tailwind, I’ve not ridden a Wayfarer for a while, it’s a brilliant bit of kit!

All the best, David

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east
That's great to hear, thanks for the update David, glad it's been fixed

I'll try and come and collect it Friday daytime if I can nip out from work!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes