Can I buy a flip saddle?

BCM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2011
Hi I’ve got a Wisper 905se, I like to always remove the battery when charging it, I have to remove the seat post with saddle to do this, which is no real effort but I’m worried over a period of time this will weaken the aluminium frame through the constant clamping and unclamping action of the quick release and I don’t want the hassle of having to deal with that! I just wondered if anyone knew of a saddle that I could just flip up and remove the battery that way, and save any future problems.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
When I had a 905 I could remove the battery without removing the seat (old battery design), my frame still failed at that point so I doubt frequent removal would have made a difference. Wisper have since changed the design (in 2008 or 2009 I think) so that shouldn't happen again anyway.
Now I have a 906 I remove the seat twice a day to charge the battery and there's no sign of a problem.

BCM

Feb 24, 2011
Hi Mussels
I have a late 2010 model so this should be new design, so should be ok, but I'd just like to be extra safe.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There appears to be only one maker of flip seatpost mechanisms, in China and used by some e-bike makers, but it's all steel and very heavy, the best part of a kilo.

I know Wisper have looked for sources of a more satisfactory lighter one, but seemingly with no luck to date.

BCM

Feb 24, 2011
Hi flecc

Cheers, so they do exist then! Your right though that is heavy! Just though it would be a really useful bit of kit, I expect the mechanism would have to be well designed for safety reasons too.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
This is all very strange, as my 2008 model 905SE, bought in early 2009 came with a flip seatpost, I thought they were standard :confused:

I could be wrong, but I think Ezee bikes come with them, so a possible alternate source?

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
This is all very strange, as my 2008 model 905SE, bought in early 2009 came with a flip seatpost, I thought they were standard :confused:

I could be wrong, but I think Ezee bikes come with them, so a possible alternate source?
They were optional on Wispers back then but I think they have been dropped from the range, I opted for the suspension seat post in 2008 and I think most others did as well.

C

Cyclezee

Hi I’ve got a Wisper 905se, I like to always remove the battery when charging it, I have to remove the seat post with saddle to do this, which is no real effort but I’m worried over a period of time this will weaken the aluminium frame through the constant clamping and unclamping action of the quick release and I don’t want the hassle of having to deal with that! I just wondered if anyone knew of a saddle that I could just flip up and remove the battery that way, and save any future problems.
I have a rather scruffy one which you can have for the cost of post and packing DCM. You would need to check the seat post diameter as mine is for an eZee or you could try Wisper to see if they have any spare ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, eZee fit them. I've no idea if the stem size will be the same though, probably not, since there are so many variants in stem diameters.

I daresay Wisper dropped them because of the weight, I know that David was rightly critical of that.

BCM

Feb 24, 2011
I have a rather scruffy one which you can have for the cost of post and packing DCM. You would need to check the seat post diameter as mine is for an eZee or you could try Wisper to see if they have any spare ones.
Thanks for that Aldby a very kind offer, my Wispers my pride and joy though, so only the best will do for her :) thanks again though

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes, eZee fit them. I've no idea if the stem size will be the same though, probably not, since there are so many variants in stem diameters.

I daresay Wisper dropped them because of the weight, I know that David was rightly critical of that.
Thanks Flecc!

We stopped providing them as they are both heavy and after a few hundred km start to move from side to side when riding.

I probably have one in stock BCM, I will check, however I would not recommend them.

Best regards

David

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for that Aldby a very kind offer, my Wispers my pride and joy though, so only the best will do for her :) thanks again though

I quite understand BCM. Just thought it might be OK as a stop gap measure:)

BCM

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks Flecc!

We stopped providing them as they are both heavy and after a few hundred km start to move from side to side when riding.

I probably have one in stock BCM, I will check, however I would not recommend them.

Best regards

David

Thanks David

If these are not recommended by you, it’s looking now I might give the idea a miss, I don’t know what the mechanism would be like on the eZee flip saddle, but Flecc, mentioned about the many variations in Stem sizes, which has gave me food for thought assuming I can’t use my existing stem with a flip saddle I don’t think I’d like to use a different stem, I would think the stem would have to be exactly the same or else I could be doing far more harm than good!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The eZee ones are the same as those David experienced BCM, they do develop slack. It's not something that's ever worried me, but they are quite crude pressed steel devices which don't suit the quality character of either the eZee or Wisper models.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My poor choice of words David, my ones also developed marked slackness. When I said it wasn't anything that ever worried me, I meant the resulting movement. Many decades ago both bike and motorbike saddles commonly sat on coil springs like the Brooks one below, so lateral movement was built in from new and something I'm well used to: