Can I hang my bike up ?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Can I store my bike by hanging it up by the back wheel? The battery is fitted.

Thank you

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
Yes, are you talking about long term storage, or just say at the end of the day?

The battery tech in ebikes is pretty much the same as is in your phone, and imagine the positions/orientations it ends up during a normal day.

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
ah, you didn't mention that in your original post, so I had assumed you were asking with reference to the electrical side of the bike.

Will it be hanging up pretty much its in normal horizontal orientation? end of the day, the back wheel takes your own weight , when you are cycling so don't see why hanging it, would be an issue.

I hang my bikes up in the garage by a pulley system that anchors onto the frame and the seat, works well.

Something similiar to this --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/BICYCLE-PULLEY-HOIST-CYCLE-STORAGE/dp/607454574X

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
No nothing as lovely as that. Just a plain plastic covered hook.

I have normal bikes that I hang up by the back wheel and they hang downwards, but none of them are as heavy as an ebike.

It is for ease and to save space also to prevent it getting knocked over.

Thanks

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
No nothing as lovely as that. Just a plain plastic covered hook.

I have normal bikes that I hang up by the back wheel and they hang downwards, but none of them are as heavy as an ebike.

It is for ease and to save space also to prevent it getting knocked over.

Thanks
Dont see that being an issue to be honest bud.

bimmertas

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2016
Aus
Let us know how it goes... depends how tough the rim is and how heavy the bike is, how soft/wide the hook is.... I don't think i'd be game enough to try it for any length of time even without the batteries though

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Oh, confidence waning!

I would prefer not to be known as wonky and as it has no suspension on the back this is not the type of naturally undulating ride I was looking for.

So on the floor it stays?

Does any one else store their ebikes this way, successfully or unsuccessfully.

Not to keen on being the first to test this method with my lovely new bike.

Reactions: bimmertas

bimmertas

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2016
Aus
Sorry to scare you, but good idea to be cautious.

I have no idea really... but metal tends to warp over time and seems like a lot of load to put on a thin bike rim???

In the opposite direction of its normal loading too

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Ask yourself how does an arch work? Then a bicycle wheel. It's very similar physics. Danny Macaskill drops 3 metres to the flat and they survive fine. The spokes distribute the loading pull push ALL THE TIME! Plus your weight, luggage and over bumps. Storing on a hook will be fine.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems