Can someone explain how a 350W motor can be limited to 250W?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
On youtube there is a bloke by the name of scott from High Powered Cycles,show casing one of his bikes called Black Lightning with a 500w motor which pushes up to 38-40 mph therefore much smaller less weight more efficient
I think the Black Lightning systems run at either 1000-1500W (Geared) or 2000-4000W (Gearless) and the 40mph top speed somes from the gearless motors ...

Black Lightning 1000w motor

The motor weights alone are 5.7kg (geared) / 7.2kg (gearless)

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I used to enjoy this forum. I used to consider myself knowledgeable on the subject of ebikes (a lot of it gleaned from Tony - Flecc)

I now find myself an infrequent visitor. Has Flecc become patronising? No, of course not, he's a gentleman.

No... It's the ubiquitous Jeremy. Well Jeremy, it's procreation and egress time for one of us. Guess it's me.

Or perhaps you could tone it down a bit?

No, thought not.

Farewell......

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
No... It's the ubiquitous Jeremy. Well Jeremy, it's procreation and egress time for one of us. Guess it's me.

No, thought not.

Farewell......
WTF are you on about?

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I used to enjoy this forum. I used to consider myself knowledgeable on the subject of ebikes (a lot of it gleaned from Tony - Flecc)

I now find myself an infrequent visitor. Has Flecc become patronising? No, of course not, he's a gentleman.

No, thought not.

Farewell......
I'm sorry if something I've written has offended you, I can assure you that if it has then it was completely accidental on my part.

If you would be so kind as to point out the offensive content then I'll gladly edit it out.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Funny that, i find myself a more frequent visitor here these days since Jeremy has been posting again. I think we are luckly to have such a knowledgable person willing to donate his time and expertise to help anyone with questions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think member "themutiny" has left the forum after 4 years a member, judging from his final comment. I have met him and know him by name but obviously can't answer for him in detail. However, to some small degree I'm sure he is expressing a dislike for the way this forum has gone over the last year or two, a dislike shared by many including to some extent me. The change in nature has resulted in the absence of most of the original membership of the first four years of this forums six year life. This current thread by johnc is another reflection of the same sentiment.

The Electric Bicycles forum used to be an alternative to Endless Sphere, in being informal, light on technical content and more biased to consumer e-bikes, with suppliers playing a full and helpful part as some still do.

Now it's becoming ever more dominated by projects and technical discussion, often very deep in nature, currently half of the threads in this page of this forum being either tech or project ones, making it look increasingly like another ES. The presence of suppliers posting that so many of the earlier membership appreciated has been harshly criticised by some of the tech biased members, illustrating another difference in viewpoint.

The great majority of people are not technically minded and the same will be true of those who buy e-bikes. When they have a query they mostly appreciate a simple approximating answer which gives them sufficient understanding. What they often don't like is a highly technical, very detailed and precise answer which just adds more to what they struggle to comprehend.

Have a look at this link to understand the difference. Here OldBob asks a simple question to which he has three answers. No criticism of those concerned since I know they are being helpful, but the first two answers included far more then was necessary. Then I answered the question, simply.

Unfortunately I can often no longer give the simple answers that are best for most, since of necessity they often include omissions or very minor inaccuracies, leading to them being commented on with highly detailed additions and/or corrections. Those of a technical bent should be aware that many, probably the majority of the public, don't appreciate this complexity, and the genuine helpfulness they intend is often not appreciated. No-one likes to be "put down", but the highly technical answer can be viewed in this light by those made to feel in some way inferior by the superiority implicit in such complex answers, especially when the answers contain an implied criticism of the question or other answers. If you've ever seen Dr Sheldon Cooper (played brilliantly by Jim Cooper) in "The Big Bang Theory", you'll appreciate how such answers can be not appreciated. A little psychology in place of some of the technical knowledge is necessary for an answer to fit what's wanted by many inquirers.

None of what I've said here is a criticism since this isn't my forum and it must go the way that it's current active membership swings it towards. It's just an explanation of the differences and an expression of regret shared by many over the trend.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
If the consensus view is to kick out any forum member that provides any form of technical input, then why not just say that and boot those of us who are of a scientific or engineering bent off?

Although I've been an infrequent poster here, I have been a member of this forum since 2007 and this is the first hint I'd had that technical content was likely to be frowned upon by the majority here. At no time have I ever tried to "put anyone down", either. and it seems that your comment, flecc, is aimed fairly and squarely in my direction, based on the specificity of the comment in this thread that started this twist in the thread tone.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's not what's meant as my last paragraph shows Jeremy. Those who don't like a forum or the way it's going just absent themselves, mostly without comment as to why. They don't presume to throw others out.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
There's a simple personal filter - if it's too techy, skate over it. No need to have a flounce about it. Ffs, I'm as techy as they come in some subjects, but some days I really can't be bothered with it and just ignore it.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi flecc

As A kit suppler And a engineer I have to hold back from overdoing the answers like somebody asked for more speed from his Kudos so I recommended a new controller at £29 not how why . I know it will work not from china but from UK for support

I am Glad to see Jeremy back on His Answers are Very Full good to see he has the time to give his support

I Use this forum as a sales tool also to glean information on what products Forum members would like to buy you see in our new kits a 250 watt 15.5 MPH rear CST motor Kit BUT running at 48 volts 10 AH / 15 AH / 20 AH to Give toque and good hill climbing and Range This seems to be the biggest problem on this forum

Frank

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
That's not what's meant as my last paragraph shows Jeremy. Those who don't like a forum or the way it's going just absent themselves, mostly without comment as to why. They don't presume to throw others out.
Does adding a footnote cancel the specific criticisms made earlier in your post, then?

This quote:
Have a look at this link to understand the difference. Here OldBob asks a simple question to which he has three answers. No criticism of those concerned since I know they are being helpful, but the first two answers included far more then was necessary. Then I answered the question, simply.
is a specific criticism of posts by d8veh and myself, with a "pat on the back" from yourself for your perfect reply.

You are as guilty as anyone else here for getting deeply technical at times, flecc, as well you know, such as during the recent debate about power limits, even going so far as to post graphs of motor power against time to illustrate a fairly technical point, IIRC.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Personally while a lot of the technical stuff goes over my head and I very much doubt I will have have the time or inclination to so by own conversion I do find it interesting and if it gets to heavy or boring I just skip past it. Same as I like the humorous nothing to do with pedelecs stuff as well.

My only real complaint is that this stuff is getting more and more posted in the the wrong sections (electrical bikes) when there are separate technical areas available, although probable could be a few more (eg conversions).

This is not helped by fact that moderators do nothing to discourage this (or move them to correct section) I do appreciate moderation is a pain in the bum to do and keep up to date but i believe it should be done to avoid complete anarchy. May be if current moderators don't have enough time they should appoint a few more willing to do this ?

Overall this is one of the better forums I am/have been involved in and I hope it remains so for a long time to come.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I'm sure you know, that graph was posted in helpfulness to you in support of something you'd posted Jeremy. It would not have been posted otherwise.

I thought you might not understand or appreciate the meaning of my whole post, an assumption simliar to that which member "themutiny" also made.

I'm well aware of how highly many of the current active membership appreciate very precise technical answers and I also see how valuable they are to them. But I'm just as well aware of how many don't appreciate that, as I've so clearly explained.

I repeat, my post was an explanation, and to do that it had to contain factual elements that could be seen as criticism. Those elements weren't mentioned as criticism or self-praise, merely to explain difference.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
My only real complaint is that this stuff is getting more and more posted in the the wrong sections (electrical bikes) when there are separate technical areas available, although probable could be a few more (eg conversions).

This is not helped by fact that moderators do nothing to discourage this (or move them to correct section) I do appreciate moderation is a pain in the bum to do and keep up to date but i believe it should be done to avoid complete anarchy. May be if current moderators don't have enough time they should appoint a few more willing to do this ?
Can anyone post in the Technical area now, then? Once upon a time that was a restricted area here where only flecc and the moderators were allowed to post (or copy posts from elsewhere).

I suspect that the reason that so many technical questions get asked in this area may be because some may think that the Technical section is still restricted, or because the majority of members read and contribute to this section far more than any other.

If questions get moved to the Technical section then that might well change the focus away from this general section and avoid causing angst with those who seem sensitive to technical discussions (although I can't see why they can't just skip over them, rather than get wound up about it).

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Can anyone post in the Technical area now, then? Once upon a time that was a restricted area here where only flecc and the moderators were allowed to post (or copy posts from elsewhere).
Ooops was not aware of that restriction but it seems a bit daft to me as it would in an instant cure for this problem. Its alright having restricted sections but only if moderators are fully active to ensure stuff gets moved to to correct section.

I have never fully understood why so many of the sub forums on here are locked down as it makes them completely pointless. eg review section where it takes weeks or more to get something posted when just actively monitoring it would make far more sense. As already said if current moderators dont have time to do this then appoint some more.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is an odd restriction but it hasn't always existed. If you check you'll see that my posts there in the Technical section are historic from when I did have the access which is now denied, or in one case transferred in by the moderators. The policy apparently changed to one of the moderators transferring posts into there they thought suitable for permanent inclusion. Responses to threads are possible and I have answered the odd question misplaced into there to help inquirers, but like the questions, the answers can take quite a while to appear due to moderation before appearance.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
As a newcomer to this forum I am grateful for Jeremy's contributions. I am learning a lot and really do need to learn a lot more. From what I've read over the last few months, it's hard to see why people might object so strongly to his style.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(although I can't see why they can't just skip over them, rather than get wound up about it).
I agree and practice this myself, for example skipping the Speedict thread entirely after initially looking since it's of no interest to me.

I think it's more the weight of bias that some don't like now though, as observed half of all the threads on the current page being technical and projects when I commented. The nature of the forum has changed from it's origins, and the greatest shift has been comparatively recent. There's no individual blame in this, since there are other reasons for this occurring, primarily much wider availability of kits, e-components and technically biased after-market items like Speedict. It's inevitable that this would attract a different membership, but inevitability doesn't lead to acquiescent acceptance by all of course.