Can you go to prison for murdering a chainstay?

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Sooooo as mentioned in a previous thread I had to abort buying a mid motor Bafang because there was no chance of it not hitting my chainstay. So I opted for the Cyclotricity rear hub kit. However after opening the Pas magnet disc I knew those pesky chainstay would rear their ugly head again and yes, holding it up it seems they are too wide for my bike and the chainstay are in the way again. So before I contact Cyclotricity I wonder if I could get some advice or preferably a genius solution to my problem .
Any way to make this fit or will I need to get a new bottom bracket to make it work or something else?

Cheers

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It sounds cruel, but I would carefully dent the chainstay slightly with the ball end of a ballpene hammer to suit. Put thick tape over the paint to try to preserve it.

Many manufactured bicycles have chainstay denting/grooves in manufacture as standard. A tube with other than circular profile is still strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderer99

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
It sounds cruel, but I would carefully dent the chainstay slightly with the ball end of a ballpene hammer to suit. Put thick tape over the paint to try to preserve it.

Many manufactured bicycles have chainstay denting/grooves in manufacture as standard. A tube with other than circular profile is still strong.
Thanks but the bike will be heavy enough as is. I plan on putting 2 torque arms on it so don't want to compromise the structure unnecessarily.

However i have just found that the disc fits nice round the white area shown on the actual crank arm and misses the chainstay in this position. So...........1.any problems fitting it to that part of the actual crank arm and 2. It would need to bee an adhesive I assume so any idea what would do the trick? Smooth paint sticking to plastic. I could scratch away at both surfaces but what type of glue would hold up?

Attachments

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
How about cut the middle out of the PAS disc and epoxy it to the crank arm?

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
How about cut the middle out of the PAS disc and epoxy it to the crank arm?
Ha, beat you to it by a few seconds. Yes it looks like the simplest solution as long as I can get the sensor close enough to it. Do you reckon I would need to scrape away the paint from the crank part or rough it up enough or should the epoxy do ok without?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Ha, beat you to it by a few seconds. Yes it looks like the simplest solution as long as I can get the sensor close enough to it. Do you reckon I would need to scrape away the paint from the crank part or rough it up enough or should the epoxy do ok without?
I'm sure I've done this in the past and I'd just clean the crank and epoxy it on but ensure the disc is the correct way round first so get it working before glueing.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I'm sure I've done this in the past and I'd just clean the crank and epoxy it on but ensure the disc is the correct way round first so get it working before glueing.
I've also done this about three years back. I roughed up the crank arm and used Araldite for metal then after it had set used a collar of black Sugru to finish off. It looked quite neat and though I no longer have the bike the new owner is still using it like that.
Dave.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Sill free;) i beat one with a hammer and attacked it with the angle grinder:eek::oops::rolleyes:
One[steel] frame even had a visit to the local blacksmith
But the voodoo zobop bikes converted ok but a recent 11 speed came very close with small chain wheels and a 73mm bb its border line o_O

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy a different PAS with smaller dia magnet disc or fit a v12l type all in one sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpio