Can't make up my mind.

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I am hooked on the idea of a Pedelec and want to get one via the r2w scheme.

I think I have a choice over the X6 Powabyke or the Claud Butler I am looking to spend between £800 - £1000 and restricted to going with Evans.

Question is, where can I find some good reviews of these products, or similar models? Does anyone know?

Does anyone have one already? Is the Powabyke reliable? no suspension?

Other question.... tempted by the Claud Butler because of the name but it looks a bit like a girls bike and frankly, I am camp enough, without looking like Little Britain finger waving and yoo hoo-ing at passers by. It claims to be both for men and women.. :-(

Can anyone advise me? June is make your mind up time as we have to apply for the vouchers before the end of June.

Also, about to declare my 2nd car off the road, so will be committed to riding to work, come rain or shine! 14 mile round trip takes ages and would love to speed it up...

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Have a skim through

Electric Bike Reviews

which has reviews of most bikes, although some of them go back a year or two.

Your budget is reasonable, unlike a lot of people who come with a couple of hundred quid and get disappointed!

As far as macho looks are concerned, that's a different problem. Electric bikes (apart from conversion kits) do tend to look a bit 'old-fashioned', which doesn't bother a lot of the old 'uns on here, but you will find aesthetic support as well.

Have a go at the 'search' facility (top right) too, as Powabikes and Claude Butlers have both popped up in recent messages.

A.

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Hi.
Recently tried the Claud Butler Glide 1. Disappointing, particularly after having ridden a few Panasonic crank drive bikes. The Claud Butler has a throttle which, very very irritatingly, kicks in after a couple of rotations of the pedals then kicks out again soon after. You then have to go through the motions again of pedaling etc, etc, etc, Very tiresome set up to my mind.

I was disappointed and the bike is now off my ever shortening list.
Regards
vectra

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
thanks for that. Very helpful to read this. I wonder where I can get a test ride of the powabyke...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Claud Butler name is meaningless these days. The name was bought by Falcon Cycles who buy in various bikes with the name added. The e-bikes are sometimes Schwinn models which haven't been well received elsewhere.

To find a Powabyke dealer, check this page for your nearest one.