Cardboard helmets?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think cardboard of the right grades and consistencies could be a good material for this application. It certainly should be better than the compressed cork that was used at one time in early motorcycle helmets.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Errrr.... I may of missed the point, but it's only for use in nice and dry countries ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
"Inspired by the physiology of the woodpecker" ...

If you look at the YouTube clip it has apparently been submerged for 7 days and still passed the necessary tests!
So would that be in sawdust ? :p

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Video watched, now I get it :D

The cardboard is only used to damp the shock, the inner and outer shells are not cardboard.... Doh !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
They're missing a trick, there.
If the helmet and bicycle were made of pasta, you could eat them if stranded out in the boonies. Cardboard, not so much.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if you can get cut-out drawings, and assembly plans for DIY assembly, so I can convert my bikes cardboard box to helmet(s)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're missing a trick, there.
If the helmet and bicycle were made of pasta, you could eat them if stranded out in the boonies. Cardboard, not so much.
Reminds me of a nutritional lab experiment that was carried out many years ago. One group of rats were fed solely on a very famous brand of breakfast cereal, the other group were fed solely on the cardboard box the cereals came in. Yes you're right, the ones on the cardboard box diet thrived notably better!

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Seriously though it's good to see new ideas in helmet design because I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the present offerings both in design and functionality.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Seriously though it's good to see new ideas in helmet design because I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the present offerings both in design and functionality.
Agreed - I rarely wear one but when I do it's one of these ... and then only for the reflective strips and 2 red flashing lights on the back ... and because the padding inside is comfy !

Proviz Triton Hi Visibility Cycling Helmet Black | JE James Cycles

I'm not convinced any of the usual suspects will save my life if I come off my bike to be honest !