Carerra Crossfire or Whisper 905 Torque

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
Hi all
Which of the two is the best buy ?. Carrera gets good reviews and have 2 Halfords stores near me.
The Whisper also gets good reviews but nothing to try near me.
Seems that not a lot of information is given regarding inside leg sizes are suitable for frame sizes.
The Carerra comes in different frame sizes which is good.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
They'll provide quite different ride experiences - torque versus cadence sensor. I haven't ridden a Carerra but I did try both the Torque and SE (cadence sensor) versions of the Wisper 705 and they do feel noticeably different. The only way you'll know which suits you best is going to be to try it out.

Can you get to York? Shannon's Cycle Centre is where I got mine so worth checking what they'd be able to offer you to test ride.

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
They'll provide quite different ride experiences - torque versus cadence sensor. I haven't ridden a Carerra but I did try both the Torque and SE (cadence sensor) versions of the Wisper 705 and they do feel noticeably different. The only way you'll know which suits you best is going to be to try it out.

Can you get to York? Shannon's Cycle Centre is where I got mine so worth checking what they'd be able to offer you to test ride.
Hi
Thanks have checked a few so called ebike shops that are supposed to be dealers for different suppliers. Most either don't have a particular bike to try in or not keen too get a certain bike in for a test ride. More so when they understand that that's all it will be a test ride. As they don't take the Halfords Voucher that my firm uses. Not that I blame them really I wouldn't be to keen either if no sale was forthcoming.
The other thing I have found is that there is very little information given on measurements ie inside leg length the frame is intended for there are a few exceptions.
I did email AMPs asking for information on the Whisper no reply as yet but maybe busy

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
David from Amps is around the forum fairly often so he may reply here if he sees it. The big cycle show at the NEC is coming up so I suspect many of the Ebike companies are very busy getting ready for that, I know Wisper are exhibiting.

The frame size is given as 20" which may give you an idea of suitability but geometries are different so it would just be a guide. You probably want to know the step-over height and the range of the seat post and handlebar stem.

Shannon's has the 905 Torque listed on their website which is why I though they might well have one there already that you could try.

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
David from Amps is around the forum fairly often so he may reply here if he sees it. The big cycle show at the NEC is coming up so I suspect many of the Ebike companies are very busy getting ready for that, I know Wisper are exhibiting.

The frame size is given as 20" which may give you an idea of suitability but geometries are different so it would just be a guide. You probably want to know the step-over height and the range of the seat post and handlebar stem.

Shannon's has the 905 Torque listed on their website which is why I though they might well have one there already that you could try.
Been in touch with Shannons and they don't have the 905 torque in the shop to try only have the step threw 705 in to try. I find thats the case for most of the makes of ebike unless you are near to the main dealer.
Another good bit of news is my company who I am getting the Cycle to Work Voucher from have decided to hold back the release of my Loc voucher till the 1st of October. So Halfords have done everything they can been stopped by my nice company HR dept. Had I known that wouldn't have bothered with the scheme.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We have some good deals on ex-demo Kudos Bikes at the moment. The crossfire was a steal at 799 but now back to 1100 is fair price,maybe our ex-demo Rapide or Sonata is a good buy at 1100.
We do a deal on sending out for free and charging 25 if you return.
Good luck with your search.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi
Thanks have checked a few so called ebike shops that are supposed to be dealers for different suppliers. Most either don't have a particular bike to try in or not keen too get a certain bike in for a test ride. More so when they understand that that's all it will be a test ride. As they don't take the Halfords Voucher that my firm uses. Not that I blame them really I wouldn't be to keen either if no sale was forthcoming.
The other thing I have found is that there is very little information given on measurements ie inside leg length the frame is intended for there are a few exceptions.
I did email AMPs asking for information on the Whisper no reply as yet but maybe busy
Sorry not to have responded to your email, I will get to it on Monday.

Many of our stockists are waiting for bikes at the moment. We are completely out of stock of all Wisper SE and Torque bikes, we underestimated their popularity quite dramatically. We do have several hundred bikes due in the next few weeks so by the middle of October all bikes will be ready for demo again.

All the best, David

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

The cadence bike I tried, power settings acted more like speed settings. 10,15 25,30km/hr. Not an issue if you are riding on your own or commuting, but maybe issue when riding in company especially if your riding companion or group is doing eg 17km/hr.

With torque sensing you have total control over speed as motor power is just extension of your of strength.

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire

Thanks Dave thought you might have been busy no problem.

anda1961

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
north yorkshire
Well went with the Carerra, very pleased with it.
I can see why it gets all the good reviews. Halfords where I live were very good. Have had Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres fitted.
Thanks to all for the advise.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi A and A, welcome to the world of electric biking, thanks for considering a Wisper, we don't win them all unfortunately!

All the best, enjoy and be safe.

David

Seanwhat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2015
Hi A and A, welcome to the world of electric biking, thanks for considering a Wisper, we don't win them all unfortunately!

All the best, enjoy and be safe.

David
It's ok david i was dead set on the carrera crossfire e a few weeks ago, but my wisper 905 torque is being delivered on monday :)