Carerra Vulcan

Colin russell

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
UK
Why does the Carerra Crossfire have a longer range than the Vulcan when they both have same motor, battery and the Vulcan is lighter?
Which one is best value for money for short commutes and recreational use?

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Carrera Vulcan Electric Mountain Bike
The Carrera Vulcan Electric Mountain Bike offers a great solution to pedal assisted mountain and trail riding. With a lightweight aluminium frame and 9 speed Shimano Altus gears hill climbs will be seamless, with electric power to assist. It's Suntour forks with 120mm of travel allow you to tackle any trails with ease, while it's double wall alloy rims and Kenda tyres provide perfect grip on the ride down.

• Frame: Lightweight aluminium
  • Forks: Suntour fork with 120mm of travel
  • Gears: Shimano Altus 9 Speed
  • Brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes
  • Battery Range: Up to 40 miles - terrain dependant
  • Recharge Time: 6 hours

Carrera Crossfire-E Men's Electric Bike
    Make your daily commute or weekend jaunt a breeze on the Carrera Crossfire-E Men's Electric Bike. With a 36v 11.5ah battery with 4 levels of motor assistance, this e-bike helps you out when you need it most. With the ability to assist your travel up to 15.5mph and with a range of up to 60 miles on a single charge*, it certainly packs a sizeable punch! The 8 speed gearing and Suntour drive system will help you up hills, and the Crossfire-E even has 75mm travel suspension forks so you can tackle the trails with confidence. Topped off with a Mini USB port built into the display for on-the-go phone charging, this bike impresses again and again.

* This will vary depending on weight of user and terrain.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I don't think there is any difference in range, I have ridden both, they both use the same motor/battery/electronics. Apart from a bit more rolling resistence on the Vulcan (tyres), might equate to a couple of miles less.
I think it's just a typo or misinformation

• Informative

Colin russell

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
UK
Without researching it too much. I'd say that it might be down to cross country MTB tyres vs road touring tyres. What kind of recreational use did you have in mind? :)
Thanks for the reply, I too suspect it's to do with tyres but just wanted some other opinions from those who have more experience regards ebikes.
Recreational use would be cycle paths with some a bit rougher than others, I used to do trails but those days are gone due to multiple knee surgeries.
My head is saying Crossfire but my heart is screaming Vulcan and try off road again.

Colin russell

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
UK
I don't think there is any difference in range, I have ridden both, they both use the same motor/battery/electronics. Apart from a bit more rolling resistence on the Vulcan (tyres), might equate to a couple of miles less.
I think it's just a typo or misinformation
You've got experience of using both, which one would you consider best value?
Would I also be correct is saying that the Vulcan might have best resale value?
If I can get back into off road cycling I may end up going for something more powerful

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Thanks for the reply, I too suspect it's to do with tyres but just wanted some other opinions from those who have more experience regards ebikes.
Recreational use would be cycle paths with some a bit rougher than others, I used to do trails but those days are gone due to multiple knee surgeries.
My head is saying Crossfire but my heart is screaming Vulcan and try off road again.
I'd be inclined to fit a full speed throttle if you can, or get a bike that already has one fitted, and a suspension seatpost to let my ass take the strain, saving my knees. You can still enjoy going cross country without blowing a gasket you know. :)

Reactions: Colin russell

Colin russell

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2017
UK
I'd be inclined to fit a full speed throttle if you can, or get a bike that already has one fitted, and a suspension seatpost to let my ass take the strain, saving my knees. You can still enjoy going cross country without blowing a gasket you know. :)

I'm think I'm going to go for the Vulcan, I can always stick road tyres on it if I find that it's being used more for roads than anything else.
I'm getting excited at the prospect of getting back on the road.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I've got the crossfire, had it for just under a year, use it commute every day, very very pleased with it. The Vulcan was not out when I bought the crossfire, now having ridden a colleague's, and enjoying, I'd be now facing the same dilemma as you are. If you are ever likely to want to go off road, then the crossfire-e will handle paths and light trails, the vulcan is of course gonna be much better on the rough stuff. There's a YouTube video which you have probably seen on a guy throwing around the vulcan, getting air on jumps etc, very impressive. I'd go and test ride both, if you are happy with the vulcan on the road, then maybe that's the better choice. As you say, you can throw on some road ish tyres. Just make sure you are comfortable on either... Normally you'd go for a smaller frame with a mtb, than a commuter/road, I've got the largest crossfire (21in) but would go for the largest vulcan, 22in one, as the one I Rode was the 20in one, and felt a tad small on the road, but ideal off road. Good luck
ps. If I could smuggle a vulcan into the garage without her indoors noticing I'd get one to go with the crossfire-e lol

Last edited:

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I wondered about the difference in advertised range between the Vulcan and crossfire as well given they are the same electrical system and battery size... Came to the following assumptions... it could be down to 3 things...

1. Tires
  2. Expected terrain ridden on our terrain range was tested on.
  3. Crossfire range was measured/tested a couple of years ago whereas the Vulcan range was measured/tested recently given the dates the bikes came out. Maybe companies are just more realistic about range and riding style now.
I had the same decision a couple of weeks ago and opted for the crossfire e because I don't go off-road and it has a few better components I believe (forks and brakes primarily were things I noticed)