Carrera crossfire died after 2 days [emoji22]

Cankster

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Bristol
Morning all, new to this forum and biking.

As a rotund middle aged man I recently decided to purchase a Carrera crossfire from cycle republic to give me some exercise and speed up the morning commute.

Chose an ebike after reading reviews and work deciding to take part in the cycle scheme which brought the price down.

Picked up the bike Thursday and used it to commute the 3 miles to work down the Bristol - bath cycle path on Friday morning. Unfortunately on the first journey the chain came off 7 times on the way to work and 4 times on way back.

Took bike into cycle republic and explained that the chain was only coming off when in 7th or 8th gear and while I was "freewheeling", the chain was not coming off on the back wheel but on the sprocket on the middle of the bike (don't know the name). Guy in shop tested it and advised me motor was faulty and was still giving power for a few seconds when freewheeling which was causing chain to throw off.

Result is I am now waiting for a brand new bike while old one goes back for testing.

Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Crossfire E a Halfrauds crap bike not really fit for purpose, equally as unreliable as a Kalkhoff impulse.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

What he said is impossible because there's a freewheel in the back wheel.The motor can't turn the chain. Apart from that, the motor is always turning when the bike is moving because it's part of the wheel. It's much more likely that the freewheel was sticking, which would turn the chain.

Cankster

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Bristol
First response really..... most helpful.

2nd response thank you, I will get into them now, apologies for lack of knowledge am somewhat of a newbie.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
As d8veh says, motor not connected to cassette, but yes freewheel could be sticking throwing the chain off , so new wheel in halfords case (they are unlikely to replace just the hub/freewheel). If it was always in 8th gear it could be Derailleur stops are not set correctly. Hope you don't have to wait too long for a replacement bike

• Informative

Cankster

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Bristol
Thank you, new bike has arrived and so far no issues. Have to hand it to Cycle Republic, customer service was excellent. They gave me free lights, mudguard and a £60 service card to be used when ever needed as a sorry for the inconvenience :).

If of interest to anyone else this cap here reckons he has fixed the cut-out issue, not experienced it myself but in case anyone needs it ......

https://the-bionic-cyclist.co.uk/2017/10/15/the-dreaded-power-cut-fixed/

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

All that trouble fixed by a zip-tie. It's a shame that they didn't build them right in the first place. :)

Pylon37

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2017
Glasgow
Could simply be either misalignment of the derailleurs or they are at their extreme limit- if the crank is a double or triple- shimano advise against stressing the gearing by extreme misalignment ie chain on outermost front chainring and innermost rear cassette chainring or (vice versa) as it can cause the cahin to jump off/ jam.

• Informative