Carrera crossfire stuck with walk assist on

Ricky 88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2018
South east
Anyone ever had this problem? Walk assist is stuck on and I'm unable to select any different modes, I cleaned the bike yesterday and then it's been stuck like this since. Both the computer and the button's have seen better days but I'm sure there's a way to fix it. I've tried cleaning the contacts as I had a similar issue which was solved by cleaning them

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Anyone ever had this problem? Walk assist is stuck on and I'm unable to select any different modes, I cleaned the bike yesterday and then it's been stuck like this since. Both the computer and the button's have seen better days but I'm sure there's a way to fix it. I've tried cleaning the contacts as I had a similar issue which was solved by cleaning them
Guessing only, that you used water "freely", too much water in all the wrong places.....
Electronics do not like water!!
Till the electronics have dried out, your problem will remain.
In the future, a slightly damp cloth for cleaning, not a wet sponge, is the right way.....
Last year I had to dismantle my LCD and place it on a warm radiator for a few hours, after riding through a really bad rainstorm. Now it works fine.
But your first job is to remove the battery before doing ANYTHING AT ALL.
Give the bike a few days in a warm place before starting to take stuff apart! Especially if you are not a "Techie"
Then stick the battery back in and test!
On my own bike, the rain got into a sealed LCD unit (somehow) and could not "get out" even after a week in my front room, heating on! And even though I am a techie for over 60 years now, I did not "lightly" disassemble the unit!
"Fools go where Angels fear to tread!"
But I got lucky!! Hopefully you will too.
Best wishes
Andy

Reactions: LeighPing

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east
Best wishes
Andy
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I have to use the bike to commute so I can't leave it to dry out. I did remove the battery and computer when I was cleaning them but I think either some water has gotten into the pedal assist on the crank or into the buttons on the handle bars, I think I'll try and leave it against a radiator over night tonight and hoope that solves the issue.

I can't really afford to leave it at halfords for a few weeks whilst they sort it out as I need it for work

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I have to use the bike to commute so I can't leave it to dry out. I did remove the battery and computer when I was cleaning them but I think either some water has gotten into the pedal assist on the crank or into the buttons on the handle bars, I think I'll try and leave it against a radiator over night tonight and hoope that solves the issue.

I can't really afford to leave it at halfords for a few weeks whilst they sort it out as I need it for work
Understood, I hope that the Rad sorts it out!
E-Bikes are sometimes a bit fraught when water arrives in some form, rain or washing.
Usually you can ride the bike without the battery, and leave home a bit earlier.....hopefully no long hills!!!
Best wishes and you won't do that again, so something learned.....
Andy
PS. Don't let the tyres touch the radiator, that might be too much for them......

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The switch is a separate unit and it can be disassembled by undoing the screws underneath it. Once open, the problem should be obvious. if it's water, you can dry it out much better with it open.

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east
The switch is a separate unit and it can be disassembled by undoing the screws underneath it. Once open, the problem should be obvious. if it's water, you can dry it out much better with it open.
Thanks, I actaully tried to take it apart last night, I undid the screws but it didn't want to come apart and i didn't want to force it. May try a little harder tonight then lol

Ricky 88

Apr 10, 2018
South east
Well I left it in a bag of rice above a radiator last night and still no difference, I tried to take it apart properly last night but it really doesn't come apart. Seems like it's been glued or sealed together, which makes sense to keep the water out, I think I'll have to wait a few days and see if it fixes it self, if not then it's a trip to halfrauds

• Informative

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Well I left it in a bag of rice above a radiator last night and still no difference, I tried to take it apart properly last night but it really doesn't come apart. Seems like it's been glued or sealed together, which makes sense to keep the water out, I think I'll have to wait a few days and see if it fixes it self, if not then it's a trip to halfrauds
You need to leave it in a sealed bag of rice overnight, doesn't always work but I have revived a few mobile phones like that. May be the voltage is less in a phone and the electrics were not damaged - a bike control panel will have more voltage going through it I suspect. Worth a go though, shame it didn't work.