Carrying a spare battery.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Now that I've purchased a spare Ezee battery, I'm looking forward to travelling further afield. Carrying the spare may well be a small problem as the top of the rear carrier is full of dog basket + terrier. Has anyone come up with an ingenious method of carrying a spare? Are panniers strong enough to carry a heavy battery? I can feel the Heath Robinson in me straining to get out!:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes Pete, I carry either one spare eZee battery one side or two using sides in standard Altec pannier bags. They are put in base forward, leaning back diagonally, and don't rattle or move. Never any problems, except don't change the battery on road and absent mindedly ride off leaving the one that came out at the side of the road. :D

I nearly did that once since I put the battery that came out on the only smooth patch of surface behind me when putting in the new one! Could have been an expensive mistake. :(

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Never any problems, except don't change the battery on road and absent mindedly ride off leaving the one that came out at the side of the road. :D
Ah, senior moments! I get these all of the time! ;) I recall you having some very square looking shopping pannier bags. Would they carry a battery? What kind of bags are they? Nothing like making something serve more than one purpose!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The ones I carry batteries in are conventional style Pete.

Not Altec as I mistakenly typed, but Altura 16 litre at about £24.99. If you click this link and then click More Info at the right, you'll see them.

The square panniers on the Q bike are throwover Dutch panniers from the Dutchbike Company, Cambridge for £25, but they aren't suitable for the eZee batteries as they are not tall enough.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You'll find with that size Pete, the rear lid part pulls firmly over the top of the eZee battery and stops it flopping about when the strap is secured. Many local bike shops stock this model as it's very popular. It's also got secure quick release hooks for the carrier rails.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I bought a cheap large Avenir pannier to carry a spare Ezee battery but as supplied it wasn't up to the job, just sagging shapelessly under the weight. I solved the problem by making a box to fit tightly inside the pannier with aluminium brackets to hook over the carrier and foam padding inside. The inner box is made from a lightweight pvc material called FoamX, normally used for signs, with a plywood base, although plywood would have been perfectly suitable throughout. The modified pannier can be seen here, opposite the water container. It could be mounted lower with longer brackets to allow room on the rack for a dog basket.

Incidentally Redalpha, is your dog basket an enclosed cage or is your dog very well behaved needing no restraint and is the dog happy to ride on the bike? I ask as a prospective dog owner, when I eventually retire.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
hi Ian

I've gone ahead and ordered some pannier bags as suggested by flecc. I considered building my own from ply but felt a bit lazy about it.

The dog is a Westie. Quite small (7kg) and I use a Basil dog basket with a wire "lid" which locks and prevents her jumping out. As a terrier she would leap out and chase squirrels and the like, given the opportunity. She absolutely loves it and gets excited if she sees me go for the bike. We cycle along the tracks and she keeps up at about 6 mph with no problems but only in short bursts. I tried a trailer originally but it restricted my use of some cycle tracks which have a narrow entrance. I recommend it to anyone.:D

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Pete,

It sounds like the panniers suggested by Flecc will do the job without modification, and the subsequent increase in weight that would bring.

It's good to know the dog likes the bike, but then again going for a walk without having to actually walk sounds like doggie heaven. I have heard of people carrying dogs on bikes in pet carriers but a basket with a wire lid sounds better, giving the dog more freedom to bark in any direction.:D

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Ian.
The only problem I've encountered is when it rains. I can dress correctly but the dog cannot and hates the water (she is no labrador). Ive thought about adapting plastic sheeting.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
A clear perspex dome over the basket would be good in the wet, I once saw one on a motorcycle sidecar although I'm not sure where you could get such a thing.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Looks like you can buy anything if you search hard enough. I was thinking more in the line of an elasticated plastic cover. I think I'd start getting even funnier looks with a dome!!:D

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Incidentally Redalpha, is your dog basket an enclosed cage or is your dog very well behaved needing no restraint and is the dog happy to ride on the bike? I ask as a prospective dog owner, when I eventually retire.
Couldn't resist posting this picture of our old dog (now sadly departed:( ). She could keep up with the bikes on the flat or uphill but obviously not downhill, so we made a box for her out of one of those folding plastic crates. She got so good that we didn't even bother putting the sides up in the end, she just balanced. Mind you, she did like to look where we were going and sometimes used to make the bike lurch violently when she decided to look round the other side. We used to get some great looks when we we rode past pub gardens and the like.:D

She was a Japanese Spitz btw, a great little dog!

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I've just got back from a long walk with a freinds Jack Russell, I'd love to try the dog on the bike and Tintaglias adaptation of a folding crate has given me ideas.
In this case restraint would be essential though because as Pete noted terriers are very inclined to chase small animals if given the oportunity. The dog travels well in the car, sitting fairly still most of the time and I think she'd make a good bike passenger. She is however unsuitable for running alongside as she likes to stay very close, too close for safety.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Ian. You might be pleasantly surprised. As long as you cycle slowly the terrier will adapt. My dog and I progress in a series of shuttles. First, I lead and then she overtakes...and so on. I often walk and push the bike and she happily copes with that too.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Flecc. Pannier bags arrived this a.m. Very good quality but seems impossible to use them in conjunction with the basket as they project above the horizontal surface of the rack. Might have to see if I can adapt them.