Casco emotion helmets

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
You missed the gloves which personally I wouldn't be without. You can get away with the glasses (inexpensive) and gloves but you start looking sporty and competent as soon as you put the shorts, helmet and cyclng shoes on.
I find struggling to get my feet in the toeclips (not hard) before blasting off also helps identify me as an inexperienced bod and a hazard best avoided.:D

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
It's a slippery slope, helmet, glasses, next will be Lycra, cycling shoes, before you know it you'll be looking like a cyclist and not just a bod on a bike...where will it all end :D
Ha I'm already on the slope, but Lycra is sooo not going to happen to this ones behind ;) as for cycling shoes, I have mine already CAT boots, good for walking, pedaling and kicking car/van doors that get to close :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Ha I'm already on the slope, but Lycra is sooo not going to happen to this ones behind ;) as for cycling shoes, I have mine already CAT boots, good for walking, pedaling and kicking car/van doors that get to close :D
Lycra is probably better than normal womens leggins that stretch and go see through when bent over, sometimes I'm even tempted to tell women their G string is on full show.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Lycra is probably better than normal womens leggins that stretch and go see through when bent over, sometimes I'm even tempted to tell women their G string is on full show.
Why in hades folks wear those things is beyond me! give me good old fashioned passion bafflers any day :D

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Try a decent pair of padded undershorts then come back and say that ;)
*lol* Already did and all I'm saying is they were obviously designed by a man! I can honesly say with my padding I don't need extra ;) *lol*

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
...all I'm saying is they were obviously designed by a man!
• Most things are designed by men.

• All things that need cleaning were designed (badly) by men.

• Sir Blather Forster, the architect, was on Desert Island Discs a few years back, banging on about how tower blocks were a Superb Design. Lawley, out of character, asked him where he lived, and having established that he lived in a rambling country house in the sticks, left it at that.

Maybe there should be a checking system, whereby we let men carry on designing things, but then get women to check their work...

Allen.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
• Most things are designed by men.

• All things that need cleaning were designed (badly) by men.

• Sir Blather Forster, the architect, was on Desert Island Discs a few years back, banging on about how tower blocks were a Superb Design. Lawley, out of character, asked him where he lived, and having established that he lived in a rambling country house in the sticks, left it at that.

Maybe there should be a checking system, whereby we let men carry on designing things, but then get women to check their work...

Allen.
That explains the plethora of useless things being designed and sold as essential to life today ;)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Like trying to flog people cycle helmets that cost £130 cos they look cool (hasn't anyone ever told them?)

A

tagray

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2007
Cool or not, the Casco helmet provides a lot more protection to the vulnerable side and back of the head. My colleagues in casualty gllefully tell me of the way they have had to try and patch up the skulls of cyclists who come to grief without helmets on. The impact is rarely head on, often glancing where normal helmets don't protect. At over 60 I'm not bothered about looking cool but actually have had a lot of positive comments about my Casco helmet. Suprisingly, it is cool in summer (what we have had of it), keeps the rain off better than a standard helmet, and, because of the quick adjustment to size, easily accommodates a skull cap for those cold winter mornings. So keep wearing your helmets and you will continue to be able to pour scorn on those who wear the more expensive variety!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
If that's the case, Trevor, viz that your helmet provides you with EXTRA protection, then fine, it's probably worth paying the money. And no-one here (unless I missed it) has been promoting the 'no helmets' lobby.

My only 'scorn' (too strong a word) is similar to when I used to see fashionistas wearing donkey jackets emblazoned with the name of some poncey designer, which cost £100 in some fancy shop, when for a tenner you could buy the same thing in Millets, sans poncey designer's name... (Are Millets still going? Now that WAS a proper shop).

Scornless,

Allen.

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007
If that's the case, Trevor, viz that your helmet provides you with EXTRA protection, then fine, it's probably worth paying the money. And no-one here (unless I missed it) has been promoting the 'no helmets' lobby.

My only 'scorn' (too strong a word) is similar to when I used to see fashionistas wearing donkey jackets emblazoned with the name of some poncey designer, which cost £100 in some fancy shop, when for a tenner you could buy the same thing in Millets, sans poncey designer's name... (Are Millets still going? Now that WAS a proper shop).

Scornless,

Allen.
No you can't buy the same thing anywhere else, the total look is entirely different to others.

I went from a normal cycle helmet but felt a plonker wearing it so in the end didn't bother, to a Yakkay which although I wore it, did not feel right and after getting the Casco there was no comparison. The casco makes me feel as if my whole head is protected. The other plus is that it will keep me dry in winter and my ears free of chilblains (which I have suffered from in the past) with the ear protectors.

I also did not like the style of the skateboard type Bell helmet which you can get.

So for me I think it is well worth the money.

Last year my Dr who I had been seeing for 29 years fell while playing tennis and banged his head killing him. So I am more conscious that I should wear one, that is why I am glad that I have come across this one.

Marina

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex

Scornless,

Allen.
As usual, I wasn't going to get involved with this one, but may I suggest we have a chicken and egg situation here....

These things exist at 'silly' prices because the marketing people know very well that people will pay for pseudo exclusivity. You can buy a decent quality tee shirt in Primark for £2 with any sort of generic logo you like - or you can pay £25 for almost the same product with a genuine (or maybe not so genuine) designer label on it.

Of course 'pseudo exclusivity' means 'cool', and Primark is definitely not cool - I heard a friend of mine refer to that as a 'mum's shop' only the other day, but that was before I took him in there and he came out with tee shirts and cammo shorts at a fraction of the price he'd have paid for something very similar on-line from Next. (Maybe that's short for 'Next idiot please....').

I'm not knocking the high-priced retailers. It's our own fault. Consumerism is the last great escape in our humdrum lives, and there's gold in them thar hills.

Most of the time I'm a Primark person, but not always, so I'm not really any better than the rest of us when it comes to paying over the odds. If you see something you want, and you can afford it - or maybe even if you can't - it can be hard to resist.

Rog.