centre stand

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Can anyone tell me of a uk supplier for a centrestand with locknut type adjustable leg lengths? I've found a few stateside but they don't ship here, even if they did it would probably be at a premium. And nothing over here

standadj.jpg

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
Hi aseb
I get most of my bits from Dutch Bike Bits - they have a selection of stands and those hard to find bike bits.
Prices and carriage are reasonable and I get fast service.

Stands

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks guys.

The ebay Acor one is like the original one so would be a 'if I can't find something better', and the feet are fairly close together. Something with the legs further apart for stability would be better- I remember the bike falling over with the original one when it got windy breaking a brake lever one time, and the gear change mechanism on another fall.
The Dutch bikes Hebie is the one I have. It will do for now but lifts the front wheel high off the ground like a praying mantis.
The Halfords one isn't adjustable, and wouldn't be height adjustable because of the leg shape, but I'll visit a local Halfords out with a tape measure to see if it is a suitable height. However every fixed one I've looked at is too long or too short.

If anyone happens to come across one that has screw adjustable leg length please let me know. I can manage with the praying mantis I have until I find a better stand, or we catch up with some of those American designs.

Last edited:

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
The shape stops this from being a possibility, it's where the legs are at a fairly sharp angle going outwards. Rubber feet that fit onto that short bit have the legs coming out of the sides.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013
The cheap ones are worth what you pay for them.
If only life was so simple.

Quite often on buying expensive you end up with a mixture of branding, logo and hype and little if any extra quality. Blind customer testing and Which testing often bears testament to this.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009

Quite often on buying expensive you end up with a mixture of branding, logo and hype and little if any extra quality. Blind customer testing and Which testing often bears testament to this.

except in this case that does look a lot like the stand I got from amazon. It only looked like that for 2 days until the legs bent.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I bought this one for my Saracen a couple of weeks ago. Its all steel rather than a mix of steel and aluminium. Its very strong.

I fitted it, the front wheel was about a foot off the ground so I hacksawed some off the legs and pushed the rubber feet back on. Spot on really.
HEAVYDUTY Double Leg Kick spring center pro Stand Bicycle bike cycle centre | eBay
Now that looks a bit more promising, thanks! And fairly similar heights too.

Do you mind getting a few dimensions for me please?
What is the height from the ground to the top of the stand where it fits against the bike?
How much leg is 'choppable'?
What is the distance between the two feet at ground level?

Many thanks!

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'll take a picture, back soon.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Having shortened the legs, the distance from the floor to the underside of the mounting is 290mm
From memory I have removed approx 50mm from each leg. Simply pull the rubber feet off, hacksaw the excess off and push the feet back on.
As is, my front wheels are about 50mm off the ground.
It's all easy to do, the most awkward bit was messing about in the mounting area. The stand is designed to fit bikes without the facility to take a stand whereas mine had the stand mounting but as I say, easy enough to do.

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
If you leave the rubber feet off then you can leave a trail of sparks as you lean the bike over going round corners, looks really spectacular at night!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland

Otoh, I'm sick of buying cheap pot-metal stands from China that promise "Heavy Duty" and turn out to be anything but. If I could find a decent steel centre stand that will fit in the restricted area at my BB, I'd leap at it.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Otoh, I'm sick of buying cheap pot-metal stands from China that promise "Heavy Duty" and turn out to be anything but. If I could find a decent steel centre stand that will fit in the restricted area at my BB, I'd leap at it.
What's China got to do with it?
Ok you may think its "cheap pot" but I thought it good enough to post some pics, thinking it may be of interest to the OP

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009