Chain cleaning tool issues

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
More novice's frustrations this afternoon. Bought a Park Tool Cyclone chain cheaner (still in its box) having watched this video :

How to clean and lube a bike chain - YouTube

All looks dead easy. Until you realize that you cannot get the chain to rotate on an Agattu when spinning the pedals backwards as it says to do in the tutorial. Is this something to do with the gear system ?

No clamp yet to raise the bike off the ground and spin pedals forward instead. So how the heck am I supposed to do it without inverting the bike and removing about 5 sets of accessories off the handlebars when it sits on the floor ? There must be an easier way !

Help. Please someone !!!

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
With the stand down and the bike away from a wall (or a settee lol), just tip the bike towards the stand and that should raise the rear wheel off of the ground with the wall / settee stopping the bike from falling over.

Then just rotate the chain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have a freewheel in the chainwheel as well so that any motor overrun cannot force the pedals around when the rider stops pedalling. To run the chain you have to turn the rear wheel backwards as suggested above.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
More novice's frustrations this afternoon. Bought a Park Tool Cyclone chain cheaner (still in its box) having watched this video :

How to clean and lube a bike chain - YouTube

All looks dead easy. Until you realize that you cannot get the chain to rotate on an Agattu when spinning the pedals backwards as it says to do in the tutorial. Is this something to do with the gear system ?

No clamp yet to raise the bike off the ground and spin pedals forward instead. So how the heck am I supposed to do it without inverting the bike and removing about 5 sets of accessories off the handlebars when it sits on the floor ? There must be an easier way !

Help. Please someone !!!
A plank under the saddle/frame and 2 wheelie bins as supports works a treat !

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thank you all !! I'll try to get some help to hold the bike steady when it's raised up tomorrow in the daylight. Definitely want a stand now ... hoiking that thing (sorry ... my beloved bike :p ... it's only "that thing" when it gets the better of me !) onto wheelie bins isn't something I'm especially relishing the thought of doing on a fortnightly basis.

And if you want the convenience of being able to invert the bike anywhere without wrecking all the handlebar gubbins, here's a way to do it.
That's very clever :cool:. Got to get the moulded bar ends off those swept-back handlebars first though ... not sure even soap and water will shift those things.

rgh

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2012
Hi, I have just bought a new e bike,whats the best lubricant to use please.?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ It's not even 9pm yet !!! :eek:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Finally managed to clean the chain today ... after :

1. Hoisting the carrier mount from a downpipe bracket (no ropes long enough so chain at 45 degrees / tool didn't work as cleaner just spills out);

2. inverting the bike having undone a load of accessories (fancy chain guard bracket in the way - no chance I'm taking that whole housing off)

3. propping the bike up on the only point i could to get the back wheel off the floor (under the pedals ... prop in the way so they wouldn't rotate when back wheel spun backwards to operate the tool)

4. trying and failing to find 2 wheelie bins (we are a complete oddity in that the Council refuse to operate recycling so only pick up a double-sized mixed waste bin once a fortnight ... yes it does still happen and despite appealing to them to change they just won't !!!!)

5. finally succeeding (an hour later) in getting a spare pair of hands to lift the bike up for the 2 minutes it takes to finish the job.

Glad I bought the maintenance stand now. Really can't see any other simple way at the moment to do routine maintenance like that quickly and easily on your own.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
There is a simple solution for cleaning the chain when the bike is fitted with a panasonic drive.

As you say, rotating the pedals backwards does not immediately work because there is a freewheel arrangement at the chainwheel end as well as the normal freewheel at the hub end.

Remove the chain guard and note that the chainwheel is "spoked".

Wrap some insulation tape around the pedal crank arm and the chainwheel spoke behind the crank arm.

Now rotate the pedals backwards as for a regular bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

There is a simple solution for cleaning the chain when the bike is fitted with a panasonic drive.

As you say, rotating the pedals backwards does not immediately work because there is a freewheel arrangement at the chainwheel end as well as the normal freewheel at the hub end.

Wrap some insulation tape around the pedal crank arm and the chainwheel spoke behind the crank arm.

Good simple logical suggestion.

A cable-tie would do it pretty well too, or a bit of string.

Alex, if you can't turn your bike upside down, you need to think about how you're going to fix a puncture out on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Interesting - mine has an Impulse drive not a Panasonic but presumably the same principles apply ? I looked at the chain guard but couldn't be bothered to take it off because it's fiddly and involed taking a spanner to the fixing nut which was tucked away on the inside of the frame right behind where my gear cable enters the frame. In other words the gear cable would have to be removed and I've only just had them tuned !

I'm sure "freewheel arrangement" will make some sense if I actually see it with the guard off.

Alex, if you can't turn your bike upside down, you need to think about how you're going to fix a puncture out on the road.
Have fitted Protek Max Inner Tubes which will hopefully hold out long enough to get me home ;)

Michelin's New Wild Race'R Tire And Protek Max Inner Tube - BikeRadar

I realize nothing is invincible so for those moments I guess there is always "Cycleguard Rescue" ... if worst comes to worst, did manage to fit the Marathon Plus tyres and inner tubes and reinstate the wheels without investing the bike by using the kickstand and lifting the front / rear up with one hand whilst refitting the wheel with the other. With a lot of huffing and puffing. So it's not impossible but would be a right old faff.

The accessories have to stay on - mounts for lights, Android and cycle computer (which came with the bike). The latter is the real problem at the roadside because it needs a larger cross-head screwdriver to loosen it than the one which I carry so might have to get a stubby version to be 100% - a total pain in the proverbial though ! The Android mount with U-Bolt is so robust it would take the whole weight of the bike without flinching (as I found out at the weekend). Incredible piece of kit by the way, built for motorcycles and I'm more likely to fail on the road that the case or mount are !

Motorcycle U Bolt Handlebar Mount + Waterproof Tough Hard Case for Samsung Galaxy S3

Last edited:

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
I clean my bike in my shower and i just lean it against the wall on its stand so I can just rotate the pedal with the cleaner attached to the chain it works.
The first couple of times It was messy as I used a lot of lube and did not clean it very well,I now clean it till it shines and
lube every link and wipe all the excess off,
I have to take off the pedal to remove the chain guard cross threaded the pedal the first time, replaced the crank arm when
I replaced the chain and casset last month after 5000km got some shimano anti-seize a 125ml tube cost 10.75euro WTF
the pedal screwed in like a dream still 10,75.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I clean my bike in my shower ...
The first couple of times It was messy as I used a lot of lube and did not clean it very well,I now clean it till it shines and
lube every link and wipe all the excess off
Showering with a loved one is always fun