Chain Noise Grrrrr

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've got a Haibike xduro allmtn F/Suss 2016. On problem I've had for some time and i'm beginning to think it's a design flaw is chain noise. Interested to hear if others have same issue.

Firstly, I clean and lube bike regular, adjust gears, change cassette, chain etc etc. Anyway, lets assume I've just cleaned bike, lubed chain, cassette etc then the noise is either minimum or not there at all. However, after only say 30 miles of riding the noise comes back. The noise is like the chain is catching/rubbing on the small chain guide (changed bearing on chain guide wheel).

I'm think of removing chain guide to see if that improves things, but a little reluctant. When I ride slower the noise is less, faster noise is louder. Either way this is very annoying.

Has anyone had this experience, what have you done, is it a design flaw.

Thanks

Atko

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i made the guide wider on my bike ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0721.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its just 2 small bolts with the same size thread as the screws it did rub and as a result covered the chain in crap every ride so just removed it.

i also have 2 front sprockets so had to make it wider anyway so the ses wheel cold move inside of it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0646_01.JPG

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
When i using other lubes my drivetrain was louder since using finishing line wet lube it has been running smooth

i would suggest getting a paint brush and cd marker mark where you start and lube every link and jockey wheels and see how you get on i am sure it would be better for you it was for me

Be careful of finishing line wet lube makes the chain look very dirty quickly i would decrease every 100 miles to get all the gunk off the chain

just use a chain scrubber tool like park tool to clean the chain to keep it in good order then re lube your chain will be running smooth then

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Be careful of finishing line wet lube makes the chain look very dirty quickly i would decrease every 100 miles to get all the gunk off the chain

just use a chain scrubber tool like park tool to clean the chain to keep it in good order then re lube your chain will be running smooth then
Gorden Bennet, I'd rather walk.

• :D
Reactions: ttxela

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've always maintained my bikes, but the drive train on this bike seems much more sensitive to picking up dirt and needing very regular cleaning and lubing of drive chain.
I think this is a design flaw, imho. Having to clean and lube possibly less than every 100 miles is crazy. Especially when I'm just doing tarmac miles at the moment.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
carbon lube too;).

Anyway, removed guide (grud catcher) stripped whole drive train down, cleaned, lubed and back together. Sounds better, but noise still there in the background. Maybe, i;m just a perfectionist.:(

Related Articles

Advertisers