Chain reaction cycles security breach

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Never throw away the semantics - where would internet discussions be without semantics? Lol!

It's odd, isn't it, how 'semantics' has shifted in meaning from a perfectly good word describing a process of word analysis into something negative. I first heard it used that way back in the 80s, I think, when some burk of a PR man was arguing on Radio 4 and blathered "Well, that's just semantics"; and I thought, "Yes, it IS sodding semantics, because the word YOU used was wrong, and the word the interviewer used was right."

So you can still lock me up, but leave me the semantics (and I'm about to use a smiley for the first time in a long and otherwise happy life).
But the bleeding thing didn't work, so imagine a smiling face instead.

Kisses,

Allen.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So you can still lock me up, but leave me the semantics (and I'm about to use a smiley for the first time in a long and otherwise happy life).
But the bleeding thing didn't work, so imagine a smiling face instead.

Kisses,

Allen.
That will possibly be because you tried to add the Smiley when typing the edit Allen. If you click the Advanced button when in edit mode you will then get full facilities.

Software semantics! :rolleyes:

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
A Definition?

Just struck me - we are talking about semantics without having defined it..........

Semantics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semantics (from Greek sēmantiká, neuter plural of sēmantikós) is the study of meaning. It typically focuses on the relation between signifiers, such as words, phrases, signs and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotata.
Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used by humans to express themselves through language. Other forms of semantics include the semantics of programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics.

The word "semantics" itself denotes a range of ideas, from the popular to the highly technical. It is often used in ordinary language to denote a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection or connotation. This problem of understanding has been the subject of many formal inquiries, over a long period of time, most notably in the field of formal semantics. In linguistics, it is the study of interpretation of signs or symbols as used by agents or communities within particular circumstances and contexts. Within this view, sounds, facial expressions, body language, proxemics have semantic (meaningful) content, and each has several branches of study. In written language, such things as paragraph structure and punctuation have semantic content; in other forms of language, there is other semantic content.

The formal study of semantics intersects with many other fields of inquiry, including lexicology, syntax, pragmatics, etymology and others, although semantics is a well-defined field in its own right, often with synthetic properties. In philosophy of language, semantics and reference are related fields. Further related fields include philology, communication, and semiotics.

The formal study of semantics is therefore complex.

Semantics contrasts with syntax, the study of the combinatorics of units of a language (without reference to their meaning), and pragmatics, the study of the relationships between the symbols of a language, their meaning, and the users of the language.

In international scientific vocabulary semantics is also called semasiology.
More detail here

Lol, smiley face & other such well defined humor notifications!!

Bob_about

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Quite. So my PR burk was saying "Oh, that's just MEANINGS". I knew he was an idiot...

A

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
More news on the Chain Reaction Cycles security breach. Problem found and fixed. Affected users could get £30 good will gesture...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
That's good I just ordered two tyres from them yesterday :eek:

Regards

Jerry