Chain slipping of rear cog Kalkhoff Agatti

jb1978

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2017
GB
Hi Everyone, I have a year old Kalkhoff Agatti which has done around 1000km. Recently the chain appears slack and also slips of the rear hub. I took it to the local bike shop who adjusted the alignment, this solved the problem but only for a week or so, now it's back to slipping. Any ideas what I should do, more lub, new chain, lose weight?
Cheers
John

D

Deleted member 4366

jb1978

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2017
GB
That models sometimes suffers from the axle moving under load. Ideally it needs restraints/adjusters on the axle, like they have on a motorbike. Some people install them. All you can do otherwise is to make sure that the axle nuts are very tight and that the grip washers aren't worn or clogged.

Like this, but you'd need to make a bracket to fix it to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Chain-Tensioner-Adjusters-Pair-3-8-axle-for-Fixie-BMX-Old-School-Bike-/301686048006
Really useful thanks for this, I'll give it a try

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Old school BMX snail cam adjuster would do the job. They come to fit a 10mm axle, I don't know what diameter your axle is, but an easy job to drill out to the right size. Unless you have a suitable projection on the front of the dropout for the adjuster to bear against, you will need to drill & tap the front of the dropout to take a short 5mm hex headed screw to bear against. If you are unable to do this yourself any decent LBS should be able to supply the cam & fit it in half an hour.

Steve.

jb1978

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2017
GB
Old school BMX snail cam adjuster would do the job. They come to fit a 10mm axle, I don't know what diameter your axle is, but an easy job to drill out to the right size. Unless you have a suitable projection on the front of the dropout for the adjuster to bear against, you will need to drill & tap the front of the dropout to take a short 5mm hex headed screw to bear against. If you are unable to do this yourself any decent LBS should be able to supply the cam & fit it in half an hour.

Steve.
Great thanks Steve!!