Chances of marrying a Swytch front wheel with a Yose (Lishui) controller.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Just to (hopefully) wrap up this “Error 9” thing, I’ve had a little play this morning.

What Larkbox says is most likely the cause - that I’ve got a basic (restricted) 250w integrated controller, but an unrestricted (350w?) C500 display. Semi-proof of this is that I’ve got all the basic settings available to me (5 seconds press of the set button) but I can’t select the advanced settings menu (10 seconds press of the set and - button). The home screen shows everything it should (power assist level, battery life, etc.) and the backlight works. In basic setup I’ve got trip reset, top speed (6.2 to 25mph), wheel size (16” to 28”), and mph/km choice - all ok.
So (ignoring the very small error 9) I’ve got a fully working, basic setup tha all works fine and dandy, with the added bonus (?) of a top speed of 25 mph!

Thanks all for your (as usual) brilliant assistance.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
what gets me is the drop outs look back to front
They have to be like that in order to maintain the geometry, as the suspension design throws everything more forward. Google throws up some interesting info about the Noleen forks. The bike is a K2 Proflex. Outdated now, but great at the time, and we’ve been through a lot of miles and adventures together.

• Informative
Reactions: esuark

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's the beauty of KT displays , unless one tries to use a custom version from an expensive over priced conversion company they all will work with any voltage 24 - 48v set up and power out put. They have no hidden settings for 250, 350, 500 power etc as the controllers use current control and one can simply adjust current output via the display settings.

KT's are so user friendly so much more so then the china crapwave cheap systems and the Lishui that often need dealer programming or the software to carry out said programming.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I’m closer to understanding this Error 9 I’m getting on my C500 display with a Yose (Lishui) controller and a Swytch front wheel. I’d previously believed this was due to a 250W controller compatibility issue with a 350w display - WRONG! I thought I couldn’t get into the advanced settings, but I can. Didn’t realise that I need to be in General Settings on the C500 first before doing Setup with Down button for 10s for Advanced Settings. All settings are accessible just fine.
The one thing that doesn’t work now that I’ve got the bike together, is the bike’s speed when riding. The display stays at zero. This is why I’m getting error 9 - no speed signal from the hub. All connectors are fine. Note to self - don’t by secondhand wheels off of eBay - it’s cost me!

• Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Considering that you probably ride as fast as the conditions allow knowing the speed isnt much help or use And having the display showing an error could be a benefit in deterring would be opportunist thieves in some odd rare circumstances.. ;) tho looking down at an error would bug me tbh. you could just fit a speed sensor they are all the same thing, you would have to hack the wiring and id the speed sensor wire ,
Tape on the display?? probably the route i would take ;)
a cheapo $1-2 ebay/aliexpess cycle speedo can probably give you all the same info, or just act as a donor for a sensor ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The one thing that doesn’t work now that I’ve got the bike together, is the bike’s speed when riding. The display stays at zero. This is why I’m getting error 9 - no speed signal from the hub. All connectors are fine. Note to self - don’t by secondhand wheels off of eBay - it’s cost me!
Your motor probably doesn't have a speed sensor in it. Use an external one.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Yes, I shall just ignore the errors and no speed display I think, although the bike keeps wanting to go faster and faster which I’ll have to deal with in a different way than setting top speed in the controller. it’s not a big enough problem to warrant splicing into the cable.
The Swytch hub does normally have a speed output - at least the standard Swytch bike setup has the speed displayed, so I assume the hub does send a speed pulse normally.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Nope, not the hub. I’ve just swapped to front wheel for another swytch one, and still no speed reading, and still got error 9.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I messaged Lily (Yose Power) about my error 9, and she advised to email their support team. I had purchased my various items such as the Yose battery pack, the slider with a Lishui controller, and the C500 display, from various suppliers on ebay, so I admit to not feeling as if I’d get help! Support asked me a couple of things and from that decided that the display was faulty, and sent me a new one. Received it today, and all problems fixed!

So, if you get error 9 on the display with no hub, no pas, no anything else (just battery, controller, and display), then faulty display.
If you get error 24 with just battery, controller, and display, then the display is good and error 24 is because the hub is disconnected. Reconnect the hub and error 24 will disappear. If error 9 persists, then something other than the display is not working correctly/badly connected.

The bike is fully working now, including speed indication, with a bog-standard Swytch hub, and bog-standard swytch pas. The Lishui controller spec is as per the start of this thread.

I’m well impressed with Yose Power support!

Reactions: thelarkbox

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Note to diary: Do not zap one of the data wires with battery voltage, when trying to figure out how it works, or make sure the round connector pins line up before trying to insert in the wrong position.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Note to diary: Do not zap one of the data wires with battery voltage, when trying to figure out how it works, or make sure the round connector pins line up before trying to insert in the wrong position.
Ouch. I’ve been cuffed! I don’t think I was guilty of either in this case though. The “erroneous” display sends and receives data across both UART lines and powers on ok, so I’ve not blown it up.
What I will note in my diary, is not to buy a controller again without a matching display. I had assumed that all C500 displays running Lishui protocol would be the same, and in Lishui’s heavily OEM- type environment it’s probably not true at all. Each OEM may well have their own C500 variant depending on what parameters they allow to be changed?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ouch. I’ve been cuffed! I don’t think I was guilty of either in this case though. The “erroneous” display sends and receives data across both UART lines and powers on ok, so I’ve not blown it up.
What I will note in my diary, is not to buy a controller again without a matching display. I had assumed that all C500 displays running Lishui protocol would be the same, and in Lishui’s heavily OEM- type environment it’s probably not true at all. Each OEM may well have their own C500 variant depending on what parameters they allow to be changed?
Don't take it too seriously. It's a warning to others.