Changing from hub to crank

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A plain seat post is worth a try, but the saddle might then foul on the carrier mounted battery.

That could be harder to sort, although the saddle can be set forward on its rails.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Have managed to get store to change seat post and am going to have another test. Meanwhile I've been looking at a Raleigh Captus which is now being made with 26ins wheels - the smaller the better for me. These don't seem to be in stock anywhere locally at the moment,although several places have the 700mm wheel size which I can look at to see if I like the look of it. Does anyone have a Captus, or even the big brother Modus, and if so what do you think of it?

Thanks again.

Rosie

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks Soundwave. It was on my shortlist but I wasn't sure I could get an outfit to match it.

R

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks Soundwave. It was on my shortlist but I wasn't sure I could get an outfit to match it.
Oh the bright side you'll have plenty of money left for the outfit with it being so cheap :eek:

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Does anyone have a Captus, or even the big brother Modus, and if so what do you think of it?
I don't have one so can't comment on anything "long term" but I test rode a Motus (one with the 700c wheels). Nice "connected" feel to the ride through the crank drive and a good solid-feeling bike. Worth a look if you can see one locally although at the full 700c wheel size I wonder if you might find it feels a bit big, assuming you could make all necessary adjustments to seat and handlebar heights. I'm about 5' 9" (31" inside leg) and it felt comfortable for me - not sure how tall you are Rosie.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Not quite bought one yet, but getting there. Yesterday I rode a Captus with 700mm wheels which was good on size and the Bosch motor felt fine. I think I've sourced one with 26ins wheels and am off to see it tomorrow. The main difference from the 700mm wheel version is that the 26" version has hub gears, which I know nothing about except that I can change when stationary. Are there any downsides to hub gears that I should be aware of?

The 700mm bike is a demonstrator that has done 50miles and comes with a substantial discount- tempting. The shop have had it for six months or so, and it looked 'as new' as far as I could see. The dealer, from a small local shop, was however very helpful and knowledgeable, and has even offered to meet me at a local hilly park so I can test it on hills before deciding.

Rosie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hub gears are well-suited to an ebike.

The extra weight doesn't matter as much, nor does the narrower range of gears in comparison to 27/30 gear derailleur bikes.

But you should make sure the bike has a low enough first gear and a high enough top gear for your purposes.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Are there any downsides to hub gears that I should be aware of?
Tensioning the chain can be an issue dependant on what provision the manufacturer has made, I had to fit a chain tensioner on my bike, but I do concede that I'm very hard on chains because I ride up lots of steep hills. Tell us which bike it is and we can advise further.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Tensioning the chain can be an issue dependant on what provision the manufacturer has made, I had to fit a chain tensioner on my bike, but I do concede that I'm very hard on chains because I ride up lots of steep hills. Tell us which bike it is and we can advise further.
I had to fit a tensioner to my Rose, but that was mostly because I tinkered with the gearing.

The OP is considering a Raleigh Motus which ought to be fine out of the box.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I had to fit a tensioner to my Rose, but that was mostly because I tinkered with the gearing.

The OP is considering a Raleigh Motus which ought to be fine out of the box.
Thanks Rob, yes I realised after rereading the post, but I think there may be two hub gear versions, one with and one without a tensioner, my short search didn't come up with a decent image.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, all your comments are helpful. This Raleigh Captus with smaller wheels has a Nexus 7 hub. As for use, I won't be a hard rider, will probably never use the bottom and top gears.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob, yes I realised after rereading the post, but I think there may be two hub gear versions, one with and one without a tensioner, my short search didn't come up with a decent image.
As you know, a tensioner is a better job long-term because it means you can tension the chain as it wears - handy if the bike has mudguards and little room to slide the wheel.

On t'other hand, I've found chains to be long lasting on hub gears due, I reckon, to the chain always being in perfect alignment and it not being scraped across a cassette.

I don't think it's something the OP needs to worry about one way or the other.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I don't think it's something the OP needs to worry about one way or the other.
You could well be right, I've yet to see any feedback on the new Bosch motors with hub gears and how they get on with chains.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Over
You could well be right, I've yet to see any feedback on the new Bosch motors with hub gears and how they get on with chains.
Over eight thousand miles on mine, tensioner no longer taking the slack but it still goes exceeding well.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks everyone, appreciate your explanations, sounds like it's nothing to worry about. Will try it out tomorrow and let you know if make progress.

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
At last I've bought one, so thanks to all for your advice and info. Yesterday I went to see the Raleigh Captus with 26ins and knew straight away that the difference in size from the 700mm models made it the bike for me. On my test ride the size was perfect and the Bosch motor glides along. Hub gears were ok too, but will take a bit if getting used to. Another bonus was that it comes with 400wh battery, when I expected the 300wh stated in the online spec. So all in all very pleased, and the shop are delivering it later in the week. Can't wait!

Thanks once again, will write a review when I've done a few miles.

Rosie

Reactions: Artstu