Charging Ebike battery using an inverter from camper van battery

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
On the continent they charge extra for electricity - about 4 euros/night, so when converting the van I took the decision to fit solar panels to avoid this cost and also to allow for 'wild camping' when I want to. A 3 week holiday could easily incur charges for electricity of 80 euros, so solar panels are very cost effective.

Different in this country - most site charges include electric whether you use it or not. We prefer to holiday on the continent for the weather.

Cheers

Kendalian

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
On the continent they charge extra for electricity - about 4 euros/night, so when converting the van I took the decision to fit solar panels to avoid this cost and also to allow for 'wild camping' when I want to. A 3 week holiday could easily incur charges for electricity of 80 euros, so solar panels are very cost effective.

Different in this country - most site charges include electric whether you use it or not. We prefer to holiday on the continent for the weather.

Cheers

Kendalian
Each to their own, but I used to find the cost of the electrical connection very reasonable in my caravaning days. It meant you could boil kettles in a quarter the time of gas, run a small TV , and roast a chicken, using those cheap tabletop ovens, or do a stew on an electric skillet. .. pre microwave days. My recall is that there was typically 10amps available ample.

Unless you were only using the solar panels for lighting ...

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Hi Danidl - yes, things have moved on from when I used to caravan. Electricity price on site has taken a considerable hike in recent years while the price of a solar system has dramatically reduced. Opting to install the solar means I can use basic sites or no site at all. You often find the quieter pitches on sites are those that don't have electric hook up available so it is a win win for me.

Cheers

Kendalian

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

JessBeauty

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2019
Canada, Vancouver
I have to idle my RV when charging my bikes, or I have the same problem.

If you have a 100 Ah 12V RV battery, that's ~1200 Wh. Your e-bike battery holds ~700 Wh. So, it makes sense that, with losses, charging up the bike can almost completely kill the RV battery. Even with more efficient gear, you will get closer to ideal, but the best case you still drain most of the RV battery. I use an 8 Amp charger, on an inverter of course, so I minimize the time required. But I still need to idle a couple of hours for a full charge. Some gas wasted, but quiet, at least.

The main alternative to that, and a more efficient one but not worth it to me, would be to use a truck generator. But, we do need to make the power somehow. For you, if you don't want to run/drive the RV to charge, a small generator for charging would probably do it faster and has other benefits. I'd probably do that if I were you.

If you were to spend $900 for more battery, would that be better spent on more e-bike batteries, not another RV battery? Probably enough for weekend trips. But if you need more than a couple of days riding energy, that's not a solution.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Can't answer the OP question directly but once when camping plugged in my mobile phone to the car foggy lighter to charge overnight. Next day phone was fully charged but car wouldn't start as it had a flat battery.

No phone reception so couldn't call AA. Ended up connecting phone to car battery directly using jump leads to start the car. (Well OK no I didn't but I did wonder what might happen if I tried! Jump started using another car.)

• :D
Reactions: Artstu