Charming Story of an Electric Cyclist

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
I've just been reviewing some submissions on my website, and Brian's here just brought a smile to my face. I had to share this...

--> My cycling friends laughed... right up until I overtook them

Anyone else got friends like that?!?

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
What was the name of his ebike? Oh yes, a Thompson Euro Classic 2 Electric Bike; I think he might have mentioned it once or twice in his piece... Not often you see one of those in this forum. What was it called again? Oh yes, a Thompson Euro Classic 2 Electric Bike.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
sounds like true love
Hi to all and thank you for reading my true love story about my beautiful Thompson Euro classic 2 Electric Bike which i saved from a lonely miserable life in a garage in Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire,i had read a lot about this beautiful electric bike and one person had wrote that it was not worth giving it garage space ,lol ,my oh my there is none so blind,maybe we should road test it against the best ,remembering she only cost £300,and i travelled a 200mile round trip to bring her home in the back of the snowbird ,which is my beautiful little 640cc Romahome camper,if you don't know what one of these looks like watch sooty and sweep as they used to have one lol any ways thanks again and a very warm hello ,Brian ,scarrabri. ps thanks for showing the pic lol my Thompson classic little bluebird will think shes found her mother lol.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The model 2 is improved as far as the moped like character is concerned, a bit faster than the very slow model 1. However, the cycling side is as bad as ever, single speed and far too low geared. To think it compares with the expensive bikes or even most of the budget competition is fanciful scarrabri, it doesn't get near.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
The model 2 is improved as far as the moped like character is concerned, a bit faster than the very slow model 1. However, the cycling side is as bad as ever, single speed and far too low geared. To think it compares with the expensive bikes or even most of the budget competition is fanciful scarrabri, it doesn't get near.
Hi flecc, to a point you are quite right,but it depends on what one is hoping for in an Electric bike and does she tick all the boxes ,She has a top speed of 15mph ,can she go the distance? 15 to 20 mile and a lot further if one assists and one has to admit she oozes style ,like a lady,as for comfort ,she has to be the rolls royce of all Electric cycles,i remember riding a mountain bike with a curry kit i fixed on it ,yes it was fast ,very uncomfortable ,and cost me a fortune in broken wheels,so give me my Thompson Euro Classic 2 Electric Bike any day ,my very best wishes Brian/scarrabri.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed Brian, that's what I meant by "moped like" character, these things you like being moped attributes. Most cyclists prefer to have an e-bike which also has good cycling qualities like a good range of gearing, lowish weight, easy to pedal at 15 mph and more without power etc. It's in those that the Euro Classic fails to match the competition, and that competition isn't all as you describe, many way better. If they weren't I wouldn't ride any of them!

"Horses for courses" in other words, if your aim is to be carried by a purely electric bike, the Euro Classic is fine, but if the aim is to have an electric assist bike where normal cycling is assisted as the law intends, it's not.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Agreed Brian, that's what I meant by "moped like" character, these things you like being moped attributes. Most cyclists prefer to have an e-bike which also has good cycling qualities like a good range of gearing, lowish weight, easy to pedal at 15 mph and more without power etc. It's in those that the Euro Classic fails to match the competition, and that competition isn't all as you describe, many way better. If they weren't I wouldn't ride any of them!

"Horses for courses" in other words, if your aim is to be carried by a purely electric bike, the Euro Classic is fine, but if the aim is to have an electric assist bike where normal cycling is assisted as the law intends, it's not.
Hi flecc is mine not a assisted bike then only i have to a lot of peddling to get to work and back,and if i turn the motor off i can still peddle or i can have both,i still fail to see what the difference is,but after saying that i am looking at wisper and one of powerpedals tonaro bighit cycles ,but i am not sure which is best ,any help there my friend, best wishes Brian.