cheap answer to second battery?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
could this little device be the answer to the long commute/recreational ride.....or flat battery in the car or the phone, or ipad??

1/ long commute/recreational ride ? Well it's only 12 volts, so maybe not.
2/ flat battery in the car ? It could do the job but a 3s lipo battery from Hobbyking @ £25 would do the same thing.
3/ phone, or ipad? I picked up a 12 amp (USB) backup battery off the bay for £11 a month ago.

It's good technology though, putting readily available things together, there's not many folks who would think of carrying a 3s lipo around incase there car battery died :D

D

Deleted member 4366

At first, I thought it was expensive compared to lipos, but when you add a charger, a BMS and the leads and connectors, all in a nice case,the price is very reasonable.

If you wanted to be really clever, you could get one of those £10 12v lithium CCTV batteries, and swap the cells for a 3S 5000 maH high discharge lipo pack. You'd still have no low voltage control, but you could get round that by adding a Bank of MOSFETS and using the original discharge wires to switch them. It's a lot of messing about to get something similar, but not as nice for about half the price.

The OP device isn't suitable for ebikes. You'd need three of them for 36v at a cost of over £300, and weight of nearly 1.5 kg. If you need a reserve battery, a normal 10S or 12S 5000 maH lipo pack will do it for about £60.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice product, I think they might br telling a few porkies about the capacity. Three of them would give you a 14 aH 36v battery for £180 with a total weight including three chargers, boxes and leads would be less than 3Kg. Doesn't add up - should be about 6Kg for 14aH.

What they sometimes do is take three 3.7v 4.7aH cells, and put them in series and call it 14aH, when the total is still only 4.7aH.